Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Broken Mirror in Viewfinder

Hi all

Unluckily i dropped my K-r and when i picked it up to test, I found inside the viewfinder were some smashed pieces.

I took out the viewfinder and carefully removed all the loose pieces, and found out the smashed pieces were actually part of the mirror - pictures taken are still fine, just its difficult to look through the viewfinder with 1/4 of the view blank!

Now to my question: is the mirror / glass inside the viewfinder area replaceable? I know the viewfinder itself is replaceable (mine has no issue) however never heard of the mirror inside it is?

Cheers

02-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You'll need to send if off to be repaired.
02-24-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well it's definitely replacable, but you'd have to take it to a service center...

I think all Pentax DSLRs currently use the same mirror, though I could be wrong.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-24-2012, 11:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't think it's a good idea to go on using it in this state. I'd be very worried about fragments of mirror causing additional damage if they come loose and get into mechanisms like the shutter.

02-24-2012, 11:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

It sounds like he meant the pentamirror.
02-25-2012, 12:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I realize, but small fragments from it could get around the focusing screen and into the box. Figure that dust and fibers can get from the box to the viewfinder, so it's far from air tight.
02-25-2012, 12:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

No doubt about that.
02-25-2012, 07:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thx for the responses - definitely bringing it in for service

can i assume that the metering would also be affected when using the viewfinder?

ive tested it doesnt seem to affect that much as the broken part is only on the bottom left hand corner

02-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I take back what I said about the pentamirror. It sounds like by "opened the viewfinder" the OP really meant "I took the lens off the camera".

What exactly did you mean by "I took out the viewfinder"? Did you remove the focusing screen? Or just take the lens off the front of the camera? Now I think that the area you are calling "the viewfinder" is actually just the mirror box and what is broken is just the regular mirror in the mirror box and not the pentamirror in the viewfinder.

At any rate.....get it fixed. You'll feel awful if in the course of your "testing" it you end up breaking something else as a result.
02-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i see, thanks a lot! off to the repairs