Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zvon Quote
it states in the manual that you should not use batteries above 1.5v. such as oxyride which put out 1.7 volts as it may damage the camera.
But 1.7V is the output of an empty battery as is the case with rechargeable (1.2 when empty) and alkalines (1.5 when empty)... I never owned oxyride batteries but I would guess that when fully fresh they should give up to 2V which if you multiply by 4 is 8, and standard Li-ion for k-r is 8.3 when fully charged. So I dont get the logic that oxyride would damage the camera.. I used a simple multimeter for voltages i mentioned above.
Funny that Lithium batteries are in the list of supported batteries, i believe they even ship with them or not?
Lithium batteries give 1.7 volt so i wonder where in the manual it states not to use batteries that give more then 1.5 volt?

03-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zvon Quote
I did not... I'm not an electrician to know this stuff. But your idea should be plausible... How could I test that?
The typical way of testing small cells under load is to place an appropriate incandescent light bulb in the circuit - for example, a flashlight bulb rated for the cell size and number of cells looked up in series.

A similar technique is used by automobile mechanics to test starter batteries. A good battery will show a gradually falling voltage, but a weak battery's voltage will take a comparative nosedive.
03-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #33
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Funny that Lithium batteries are in the list of supported batteries, i believe they even ship with them or not?
Lithium batteries give 1.7 volt so i wonder where in the manual it states not to use batteries that give more then 1.5 volt?
You may have noticed that there are a few different types of batteries that use Lithium? The specific chemical reaction, and the reversibility of that reaction are the factors that make the difference.
03-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #34
Veteran Member

checked the whole manual of the Kr and they don't give a number of maximum voltage and they do say Lithium batteries can be used, they even recommend them for cold weather.

Oxyride are batteries i've never used and seen but they give 1.7 volt when unloaded, Lithium batteries give up to 1.8 volt in those situations so the voltage isn't the problem.
Under load they give 1.65 volt where lithium give 1.6 volt so not a problem either.
From what i read NiZn use the same chemistry and some users here use those batteries for years now...

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
You may have noticed that there are a few different types of batteries that use Lithium? The specific chemical reaction, and the reversibility of that reaction are the factors that make the difference.
The ones use today are Li-FeS2, energizer use those and those are the batteries you get with the Kx and Kr as far as i know.
http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/lithiuml91l92_appman.pdf

03-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #35
Veteran Member

I think it's unlikely that a couple volts more than usual is going to do permanent harm. There must be a limiter of some sort employed, or it wouldn't be safe to use all these battery types in the first place. Then again... some people have reported mirror flop issues being triggered by certain fully charged batteries, so transient issues like that might be possible (but I think with that there was an underlying issue and the battery was just the catalyst for it).

I'd say be cautious with new battery types, but not paranoid.
03-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #36

my mistake.. it is not mentioned in manual but i found it to be here. And i know i have read somewhere on the official site that it says oxyrides are not compatible solely because of higher voltage...

K-r - Digital SLR - PENTAX Photo

Optional: 4 AA batteries (Lithium, Ni-MH, rechargeable, alcaline), with optional AA battery adapter D-BH109**
Optional AC adapter K-AC109E also available
** CR-V3 and Oxyride do not comply with this adapter