Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #1

Very frustated with my K-r...

To the point where I'm about to send it back and upgrade to a K-5... here's hoping it doesn't suffer from similar/the common problems -.- But there is a reason for this post... I'm curious what people think I should do, if people have any suggestions, etc etc... Basically, I started with a K-x. Loved it aside from the color (dull looking red) and lack of the AF light. "Upgraded" to a K-r but have been dissatisfied the entire time I owned it. I frequently use it indoors without a flash and could never dial in the focus. I actually tried exchanging with another one, which ended up being an older S/N and had an even worse front-focusing problem! So back to the original... Currently, if I set the fine tuning to -10 I can get maybe 50/50 results. I've contacted Amazon and can return the camera even (they are really working with me this time!) Do I try another K-r? I REALLY wanted the red... Or do I step up to the K-5 (assuming the FF and stains have been resolved) or perhaps wait for the K-01? Honestly, after this entire fiasco I'd probably go back to Nikon if I hadn't purchased a few lenses for my current Pentax... I want to love these cameras but they've been nothing but trouble.

02-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If I were in your shoes I would get the K5.
02-29-2012, 11:39 PM   #3

have you tried the debug menu on the k-r?

you can further adjust the focus. it helped a little bit more than the +-10 that the camera allows by default.

(use pktether for debug menu)
03-01-2012, 12:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Please don't take this as insulting if it's something obvious to you. Are you sure you're dealing with tungsten front focus here, rather than camera shake due to low shutter speeds? Also, what mode(s) are you shooting with, and what lenses?

Could you post a couple shots with the EXIF preserved that illustrate the problems you're having?

03-01-2012, 03:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you try upgrading the firmware? There is a known focusing problem with the K-r, but apparently it only shows up in some lighting conditions and not even in all cameras. But the K-5 is a better camera in many respects, so if your budget allows it might be worth a consideration.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 03-01-2012 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Awkward wording
03-01-2012, 05:04 AM   #6

Is the focus problem indoors only?
03-01-2012, 07:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My vote: K-5. I bet you'll be happy with that camera.

03-01-2012, 07:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DarrenCax Quote
I started with a K-x. Loved it aside from the color (dull looking red) and lack of the AF light
I also started with the K-x (as I came from K1000, the focus points didn't bother me), and postponed upgrades to K-r and K-5, after reading about all the problems reported on this forum. I am sure that a minority of people experienced these problems and that later runs of these models should be better. You might just have some bad luck. If you can afford it I would also suggest that you upgrade to a K-5, while you're still in a position to return the K-r
03-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #9

Hi Darren

Have you tried different lenses, it may be a problem with the lens.

Are you shooting in tungsten light.

Have you tried focusing in liveview.
03-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yeah...

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
There is a known focusing problem with the K-r, but apparently it only shows up in some lighting conditions and not even in all cameras.
My camera doesn't have the FF problem. I set the WB to tungsten whenever I shoot indoors under warm lighting conditions whether it is actually tungsten lamping, or something else that mimics warm lighting. I don't shoot indoors often, but I have been running lot of indoor tests lately because I changed my focussing screen. Maybe I am an unusual, but all of my lenses focus fine without any adjustments. Bottom line is that some K-r's seem to work as advertised, or at least mine does. (Is there an emoticon for knocking on wood?)

I have heard that besides the DYI debug mode hack, Pentax service can correct the problem to some degree. I have also heard that people have been disappointed with the "fix" that they got from Pentax service for this particular problem.

If you generally like your K-r then maybe it is worth a trip to Pentax service before spending the money on a K-5. Some people have gotten fairly fast turnaround from CRIS, (can't recall if you are in the USA or not) so if you aren't satisfied with the fix K-5's will still be available. If you have the money, and you want to give up on the K-r, K-5 is the way to go.
03-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #11

Darren, related to this FF issue that some people say does exist some say it doesn't.. and the whole frustration around it

I think it does indeed exist. There, it exists, period. I have faced it myself. I guess you know there is a work-around:Use live-view (though for me a true bother - i work exclusively with the viewfinder).

I'd say stop focusing (pun intended) on this particular small problem this camera has. For me the pluses (color rendering, quality of the kit lens, in camera stabilisation, ability to use AA bateries/good dynamic range, build/feel etc.) outweighed this issue. But if, as you said, you shoot mostly under these conditions that trigger this curse (very dim tungsten light) then by all means try something else, K-5 or another camera.

But try to relax and get rid of the frustration. Perfect doesn't exist
03-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member

@ the OP - How long have you had this K-R? Can you still take it back for a refund? If you can't return it then send it to Pentax service with a detailed lest of what's wrong. I did that and my K-R came back much improved.
03-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #13
Veteran Member

More information is always useful to help figure out what is happening.

Stuff like what AE mode do you use (matrix/centre/spot), what AF mode (matrix/ centre spot etc), are you using any UV or other filters on your lenses, do you typically shoot wide open with fast lenses, does this behaviour happen at all shutter speeds, do you usually shoot with SR on or off, and so on. And do specific lenses display this focus problem issue or does it happen with all of your lenses?

I'm not a big fan of huge AF adjustments btw. Often they cause more problems than they fix. Better to use DOF effectively than to play around with AF adjust.
03-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #14

Original Poster
Geeze this forum's more popular than I was expecting... Alllright... kaiserz - Done... It should be here tomorrow, but I could still return it and stick with the K-r if I so desired. Mostly though, I couldn't find the body cap so I was going to use the one from the K-5 then send back the K-r :P mpmetro - Not yet. I'd tried in the past but didn't find how to access it until last night. I actually was going to poke around with it last night but couldn't find a cable that fit the K-r. If I think about it, I might grab one from work or bring the camera to work tomorrow to tinker during lunch... Philoslothical - Haha, yes, I did this using a tripod too. Besides, a portion of the image is in focus, just typically the wrong area! I certain can try and get some images posted at some point, but it's very typical front focus issues... IE, focus on an angled object and the area below/closer to the camera is in focus. Na Horuk - Not tried the latest 1.12 but I do currently have 1.11 foto guy - As far as I can tell it's indoors. However, I'd say 90% of my photos are indoors... sameagle - I'll hold you to this I do plan on doing some very though testing once it arrives. altopiet - Yeah... I wasn't planning on spending this kind of money on the camera, nor did I care to get a black on, but I suppose I'll be more happy in the end...assuming it works :P screwdriver222 - I currently have 4 lenses; the kit 18-55, the DA 40mm 2.8, an older 35-70, and a Sigma 70-300. Results are quite similar among them. I have noticed some seem to focus a bit better; the 35-70 is pretty bad unless in macro and the 40mm is useless wide open... lammie200 - I have considered sending off the K-r...but the idea of spending any money (even for shipping) on a new item to be repaired is just not something I can agree with. If it's not right out of the box, I want a new one that is right. If I could get another K-r now and know it won't have focusing issues, I might do so. However, from what I've heard, the problem was never really dealt with. Penumbra - I know every camera's going to have its issues... I guess what infuriates me more than anything is my "upgrade" actually ended up giving me worse results than my K-x. gp1806 - I've had it for a while...but Amazon's working with me and will let me return it. If this weren't the case I might just send it to Pentax... rawr - I had some test pics at one point with all the settings and such noted but I've since removed them... But generally, my pictures are taken in Aperture mode (typically wide open to 5.6), Matrix exposure, center spot AF. All my lenses have multi-coated UV filters on them. Stabilizer is on. Shutter speed makes no difference. And I think you've got the same worry as myself... I'm afraid if I compensate for the focus indoors, I'll screw focus elsewhere...
03-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #15
Inactive Account

I have been having this same issue with my new K-r, esp in low lighting and bumped up ISO levels. Even manual focus doesn't seem to help. I have the 'kit' lens (18-50mm Pentax) and a bunch of old lenses from a Ricoh (Pentax mount) that work well with the camera.

One thing I wish it had was the old "split focus" viewfinder that my old Minolta has. Even without glasses I would use the split focus function and come up with excellent shots! No digital camera I tried had this feature.

As far as a firmware U/G, is this something I can do? The camera is brand new and I still have 21 days to decide if I want to live with it.