Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #1

New FIrmware Update v.1.12

This is the link to US Firmware Update site v.1.12

Downloaded and installed no problems.

03-02-2012, 12:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
too bad most of the updates didn't really do much other than fix SDXC issues. With all the things possible.. they do nothing.
03-02-2012, 01:10 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
update

at least make an update to be able to set the video recording, or able to change more settings!
03-02-2012, 04:08 AM   #4

yeah. i would like if i could manually input temperature for white balance in K. With present system, you are just guessing, you actually don't know what is the temperature until you import the raw in a program.

03-02-2012, 05:38 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vlatkoufo Quote
at least make an update to be able to set the video recording, or able to change more settings!
Set the video recording to what? What additional setting do you want to set?
03-02-2012, 05:56 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zvon Quote
yeah. i would like if i could manually input temperature for white balance in K. With present system, you are just guessing, you actually don't know what is the temperature until you import the raw in a program.
You can check page 200 of the manual. You want 5200k use Daylight, you want 8000K set it to Shade. You could manually set the white balance. You can even further adjust those settings using CTE.

I'm curious if you know you're shooting in light @ 5200 Kelvin how hard is it to set to that temp, which is labeled Daylight in the books chart on page 200.
03-02-2012, 05:58 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
too bad most of the updates didn't really do much other than fix SDXC issues. With all the things possible.. they do nothing.
.....and you know this how? You are aware that some firmware upgrades do have unannounced/ hidden fixes?

03-02-2012, 07:50 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by geru2000 Quote
You can check page 200 of the manual. You want 5200k use Daylight, you want 8000K set it to Shade. You could manually set the white balance. You can even further adjust those settings using CTE.

I'm curious if you know you're shooting in light @ 5200 Kelvin how hard is it to set to that temp, which is labeled Daylight in the books chart on page 200.
i know all that.. but i would just like to know exact temperature setting. it is easier for me to manually input the temperature.. it says that daylight is around 5200. not exaclty 5200. Sometimes when shooting under street light i would like to go just above "warmest" tungsten setup which is as manual says 2850K. And by enabling me to directly input the value of lets say 3500 or any other value is much faster than remembering which preset is calibrated around 3500K. I wouldn't mind having another preset that would be used to tune the whole range from 2000 to 8000 or higher.
03-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geru2000 Quote
.....and you know this how? You are aware that some firmware upgrades do have unannounced/ hidden fixes?
Simple things like adding interval shooting to the K-r (and upping the amount by 1 digit to it's in the thousands and not hundreds like on the K-5). Adding video controls and even the ability to go to full manual control for video would be great... It's not like it's not possible.. it's all about their marketing control.. but at this stage in the game, if they want to gain marketshare increasing what your camera's have the ability to do vs. the competition is a big step in the right direction.

Hell with hacked firmware with a crude GUI I can do as much if not more with my old Canon P&S than someone can with a K-r.. sure this 6 year old camera has 6MP and a crappy 4X zoom.. but with CHDK I can shoot pics (jpg OR RAW) until the card is full, it has bracketed shooting (does the K-r?) Motion detection shooting and full control over pretty much every aspect of the camera. Hell Pentax is too lazy to even make a tethering program for their own gear.. only putting out actual firmware FIRES isn't good "support".. that's business necessity to make sure your products do at the VERY least what they are advertised to do. And that's what they do.. the least they can to get by. I hope Ricoh starts looking ahead with this area of their camera development.. all the great hardware is nothing when it doesn't have good firmware to control it and make full REAL use of it.

Sure there are probably some small fixes that are unannounced... but why wouldn't they announce it? I can't really see them fixing something people weren't complaining about. If they did fix it, they would want their customers to know. Transparency on support is very important.. "behind the scenes" type of fixes would be foolish, it would be like them saying "By the way.. we released this and found XXX and YYY were really messed up, lets put out this firmware update (at the end of the product life cycle) to fix or improve it." Sorry, can't see that being the case.. I'm sure they would rather you buy a K01 or wait for their next gen that's coming up.

I could see unannounced/hidden fixes for camera's like the K-01 etc.. camera's in the first few months of it's life cycle.. but after a year on any system it should have ALL of it's bugs worked out.. just not the case for the K-r/K-5/645D
03-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #10

Simple things like adding interval shooting to the K-r (and upping the amount by 1 digit to it's in the thousands and not hundreds like on the K-5). Adding video controls and even the ability to go to full manual control for video would be great... It's not like it's not possible.. it's all about their marketing control.. but at this stage in the game, if they want to gain marketshare increasing what your camera's have the ability to do vs. the competition is a big step in the right direction.

Hell with hacked firmware with a crude GUI I can do as much if not more with my old Canon P&S than someone can with a K-r.. sure this 6 year old camera has 6MP and a crappy 4X zoom.. but with CHDK I can shoot pics (jpg OR RAW) until the card is full, it has bracketed shooting (does the K-r?) Motion detection shooting and full control over pretty much every aspect of the camera. Hell Pentax is too lazy to even make a tethering program for their own gear.. only putting out actual firmware FIRES isn't good "support".. that's business necessity to make sure your products do at the VERY least what they are advertised to do. And that's what they do.. the least they can to get by. I hope Ricoh starts looking ahead with this area of their camera development.. all the great hardware is nothing when it doesn't have good firmware to control it and make full REAL use of it.

Sure there are probably some small fixes that are unannounced... but why wouldn't they announce it? I can't really see them fixing something people weren't complaining about. If they did fix it, they would want their customers to know. Transparency on support is very important.. "behind the scenes" type of fixes would be foolish, it would be like them saying "By the way.. we released this and found XXX and YYY were really messed up, lets put out this firmware update (at the end of the product life cycle) to fix or improve it." Sorry, can't see that being the case.. I'm sure they would rather you buy a K01 or wait for their next gen that's coming up.

I could see unannounced/hidden fixes for camera's like the K-01 etc.. camera's in the first few months of it's life cycle.. but after a year on any system it should have ALL of it's bugs worked out.. just not the case for the K-r/K-5/645D
I agree with your post.
But there's something I don't understand. You say that this firmware added interval shooting to K-r and upped the maximum number of shots by 1 digit... But that's not the case. Have I misunderstood you? I would love having more than 999 shots for interval shooting rather than camping in front of camera and checking from time to time how much shots are left...
03-02-2012, 05:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

No, I'm saying it SHOULD have added the 1 digit to the interval shooting on the K-r/K-5 so you can shoot 9999 instead of 999 shots.. I think fixes like that are the EASIEST things they could do.. but choose NOT to do.. shows there level of support IMO.
03-03-2012, 09:02 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Maybe a good idea but...

No, I'm saying it SHOULD have added the 1 digit to the interval shooting on the K-r/K-5 so you can shoot 9999 instead of 999 shots.. I think fixes like that are the EASIEST things they could do.. but choose NOT to do.. shows there level of support IMO.
Maybe the engineers are on the side of caution with adding a feature like that. Would the battery even support 10,000 shots? I guess that you are talking about using a wall plug? Also 10,000 shots is (supposedly) 10% of the shutter life. It seems a little dangerous to allow for that much useage in one procedure. It might be easy to add a feature like that, but the consequences of adding it might lead to other issues.

Last edited by lammie200; 03-12-2012 at 12:04 AM.
03-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
RE: battery power & more than 1000 shots ... Pentax does offer an AC adapter. Cheaper to buy a Chinese AA battery adapter and a regulated 6vdc supply and make your own, but none the less, the option is available.

I am however confident that Pentax's marketing group doesn't want the K-r software to be too close in features to the K-5's software. It would hurt K-5 sales.

Here is a photo industry marketing example... A couple decades back Kodak introduced a new consumer color negative film. It came with ASA/ISO ratings of 100, 200, and 400. Each faster film was a bump up in sales price. No surprise there. However a truth came out, there were not 3 new film chemistry, but only 2. The film was that much better that 200 was the slowest speed. So here is the plan hatched by the marketing folks.... Because an expectation existed that 100 speed film was finer grained, Kodak added a neutral density layer to the 200 film. They sold the 100 film at a profit, but because the market would pay a higher price for 200, even though it cost Kodak less to make than the 100 film, they charged more and made a really nice profit. And the 400 film was in fact a jazzed up chemistry, so they made a normal profit there. Many people bought the 200 film because they got the extra speed but the pictures were as sharp as the 100 film - duh!

It would likely cost Pentax nothing to very little to add many of the K-5's features to the K-r wherever the hardware is compatible. But folks, it isn't likely to happen and it makes no sense to whine about it.
03-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I think some of the expectations in this thread are pretty wild. I don't expect significant changes in features beyond what is offered when I buy a product. If you're not happy with the specs and features at release, don't buy it. I certainly don't expect a company to slip in feature changes later that would make the documentation that comes with the product incorrect, make the published specs and reviews to date incorrect, and so on. It would just create confusion among buyers, and potential buyers, and that wouldn't be a good thing.
03-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #15
Veteran Member

my K-5 w/grip and rear LCD screen turned off, AWB and AF turned off (as you would for interval shooting) could probably get 2500 pics or so... far more than the 999 limit that's for sure.