Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #46

Guys, do i void warranty if a update firmware?

06-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alexmkd Quote
Guys, do i void warranty if a update firmware?
No. But if you do something silly like pull the battery while it's updating, and brick your camera, then that likely wouldn't be covered under warranty. Just follow the best practices for it, use a fully charged battery, maybe put the kit lens on it, if possible (but it shouldn't matter in the slightest), and above all, be patient. Wait for it to finish, and don't power it off until it has finished. It can take a few minutes.

As I've said before, it's a non-zero risk, like all firmware upgrades, but it's a very safe process if done properly. You're likely at less risk of a failed update than you are for dropping your camera.
06-06-2012, 08:59 AM   #48

ok tnx, Philoslothical
06-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #49

Hey, i have 1.01 firm version in my K-5, do you recomend me to update to the last one? or its not worthy?

06-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pozzi Quote
Hey, i have 1.01 firm version in my K-5, do you recomend me to update to the last one? or its not worthy?
Yes. Supposed lock-up fixes as well as others.
06-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So I just read through this whole thread and not once did anyone mention front focus. Was that fixed in this update (not that I've ever noticed that problem with my K-r...)? It was an interminable topic a year ago...
06-06-2012, 09:23 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by piledon Quote
So I just read through this whole thread and not once did anyone mention front focus. Was that fixed in this update (not that I've ever noticed that problem with my K-r...)? It was an interminable topic a year ago...
It's not fixed. I think the camera is mature enough now that those affected (who have to shoot with fast glass under tungsten light) have either resigned themselves to it, changed their shooting technique to work around it (probably this in most cases), or switched to another model or brand.

06-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #53

Is there specific firmware updates depending on the camera region or it makes no difference? I've downloaded this: Latest K-5 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING
06-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pozzi Quote
Is there specific firmware updates depending on the camera region or it makes no difference? I've downloaded this: Latest K-5 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING
Firmware updates are specific to the camera model. This part of the forum is about the Pentax K-r, so when the reference is to v.1.12, the posters are talking specifically about that firmware level for the K-r camera, not the K-5.

I would hope that the firmware update code does a validity check before trying to load new code. If so, a K-r camera would simply reject any change if offered code for a K-5. But personally, I've never checked this out and I'm not willing to risk turning my camera into a brick by experimenting.