Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2012, 11:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K-r shutter noise

Hi, folks -

One of the well-known "features" of the K-r is a rather loud (LOUD!) shutter sound (it's actually the mirror, I think...see below). Compared to its competitors in the Canikon world, this bad boy generates some serious sound. For outdoor work, it's no biggie. For indoor shots with family, stealthy candid shots are not an option.

My question is two-fold...

(1) Can anyone explain why the shutter on this model is so much louder? I've read that the K-5's is quite nice, but in terms of nuts-and-bolts, what differs? Are there sound-dampening things inside the camera, or is it just a different setup altogether?

(2) Are there any options (home-brewed or not) to dampen this sound? Any little shims/buffers that can be inserted to fix this?

One piece of info that I found interesting: On my K-r, I think it's the mirror-down operation that actually generates the most noise. Using the two-second timer, I can separate the mirror-up from the shutter/mirror-down operation. The mirror-up isn't too bad. Similarly, I can also use a longer exposure to separate the shutter from the mirror-down operation. Again, the shutter is tolerable. It's the mirror-down slap that causes the most noise (and the somewhat metallic ring that goes along with it).

Thanks!
Ryan

03-04-2012, 07:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have both the K-R and the K-5, and I agree that the shutter sound on the K-R is much louder than the K-5. I would not do anything to the K-R, if you break it because of your modding, Pentax might void your warranty.
03-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Something to consider is that while the camera may be noisy, people will get used to it fairly quickly and start tuning it out. I used to use a Pentax 6x7 for handheld candids, there was never a problem, by the time the noise happens, the picture has been taken.
The only time camera noise has been a problem for me has been at weddings, where a noisy camera can attract unwanted attention. The LX had a particularly delightful tinging sound which was a problem at one particular church I worked frequently because it corresponded to the building harmonics and seemed to amplify.
03-04-2012, 09:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

While the shutter on the K-r is loud, you can turn off the electronic beeping and set the lcd preview to only a couple of seconds. Then the only distraction is the shutter noise itself. I also don't use the flash in most circumstances. I find it to be OK for most anything set up that way.

03-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

As others ahve said the K-r 's shutter noise is easily tuned out. The autofocus when using a screwdrive-af is actually louder, people tune that out as well.
03-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, all. I agree that the sound isn't unbearable...just distracting. Does anyone have input on the two more technical questions, though?
03-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote
Thanks, all. I agree that the sound isn't unbearable...just distracting. Does anyone have input on the two more technical questions, though?
K-5's and K-r's differ in construction considerably. K-5's have metal bodies and weather sealing. K-r's have metal chassis but the body itself is plastic. K-5's have pentaprism viewfinder's. K-r's have mirrors. I am reasonably certain that the mirror mechanism in the K-5 is completely different than the K-r, but I can't tell you how. K-5's are targeted towards enthusiast to semi-pro users. K-r's are targeted towards beginner to intermediate DSLR users.

As far as a mod goes for dampening the mirror sound on your K-r goes, I can't be of much help. I would probably stay away from doing anything just because it is a fairly delicate mechanism. I think that the fix is to get a K-5, haha.

03-07-2012, 12:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Yep hes right, theres not much you can do about it besides changing bodies. My canikon friends were often jealous of my k-r's sound though they said it sounded 'manly' like a gatling gun, especially when used in burst mode.
03-07-2012, 01:46 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The mirror in the K5 slows down when it's at the end and that makes the differnce, so the whole assembly is very different between the two.
03-12-2012, 10:48 PM   #10

can anyone say if its louder than canon rebel cameras? Thanks.
03-12-2012, 11:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I would guess...

QuoteOriginally posted by shuttervelocity Quote
can anyone say if its louder than canon rebel cameras? Thanks.
I have handled t2i's and t3i's in stores before. Without being scientific, I would guess that it is virtually the same. What are you shooting? Funerals?
03-13-2012, 05:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
shuttervelocity/lammie... My brother owns a t2i, and it is much quieter than the K-r. At family gatherings, his is a non-obtrusive "woo-woosh", and mine is a "ker-CLUNK" that turns heads. Then again, maybe the t2i's flimsy body is just absorbing more noise.

So, the only technical info we have so far is that the mechanisms differ. Anvh suggests that the mirror slows down in the K-5. Is this done by gearing, or is there just a rubber buffer to catch the mirror-down operation, like the mirror-up?
03-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
What are you shooting? Funerals?
I hope I never have to.
03-13-2012, 09:30 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure if you can count this as a "solution". I have a K-x and I'm assuming it's just as loud as your K-r. Anyway, I've noticed that when using more solidly "built" mostly metal lenses, in my case an SMC Takumar or Pentax-A 50, the shutter sound is dampened a bit more. But when using Plastic Fantastic, a.k.a. DA 35 2.4, that shutter is LOUUUD. It's like attaching a megaphone to my K-x...CLACK! CLACK!
03-13-2012, 10:03 AM   #15
Veteran Member

maybe get one of these?
MATIN M-6394 Waterproof Protector Cover for 35mm SLR Camera - DinoDirect.com