Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #16

@ Chorbakis: Did you buy the K-r? I myself am considering one (FF problems or not). If you did are you satisfied with it?

04-02-2012, 02:37 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Buying a KR

I use one. I had a K-X. I changed because the K-X's auto focus is less accurate than that of the K-R. I know because I tested both cameras with the same lens under the same conditions. The K-X focused in outdoor shady conditions while the K-X couldn't do so accurately.

I did research and the K-R has about twenty worthwhile improvements over the K-X. The K-X also had the blurred photo problem at 1/60sec - the K-R does not have this problem.

I haven't had a tungsten light focus problem yet - I haven't had a need to shoot in Tungsten low light conditions so I don't know if my camera actually has this problem or not.

If I find I have it, I will use a laser pointer as a focus aid - this works very well in really dark conditions where the camera's AF system cannot get focus anyway.

So far, the K-R has been a very good camera. Although only 12mp, those pixels are high quality and with a good lens, the resolution of the sensor is excellent.

I also have a Nikon d5100 and the Pentax has a better user interface - both the body controls and the menu system woirk more comfortably and intuitively than the D5100.
04-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #18

Good info. Was considering the k-x and the k-r. Very helpful info. Thanks.
06-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #19

I might ask trivial things, but I am not sure about the answers after reading about the issue for two hours.

Is the Front-Focus problem systematically there in some cameras, or it behaves like a random variable, i.e. the issue is sometimes there and sometimes not?
If I buy a camera and it does not show any FF effects, than I can be sure that this issue will not be developed, right?

I am considering to buy one, but I will use it mainly indoors to take pictures from my newborn son and the FF would make the camera simple unusable for me... I would only buy one, if I can return it if there is some FF issue. Due to the local low I have 8 days to return the product, therefore it works only if this is a systematic error in the given body.

06-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pottom Quote
Is the Front-Focus problem systematically there in some cameras, or it behaves like a random variable, i.e. the issue is sometimes there and sometimes not?
If I buy a camera and it does not show any FF effects, than I can be sure that this issue will not be developed, right?

I am considering to buy one, but I will use it mainly indoors to take pictures from my newborn son and the FF would make the camera simple unusable for me... I would only buy one, if I can return it if there is some FF issue. Due to the local low I have 8 days to return the product, therefore it works only if this is a systematic error in the given body.
That's actually a pretty good question. Take my opinion as just another user, not an expert.

I don't think it's something that will show up later, if it wasn't a problem to begin with. It's not supposed to be that kind of issue, as it's a design problem with the AF sensor. Most people either don't have or don't encounter the conditions to show the issue, and we've seen a lot less complaints around here than there used to be. That could mean anything, the camera is discontinued now so less new ones are being sold, and perhaps the newer copies aren't as affected. Who knows.

It's not a case of all tungsten light causing problems. It's the combination of low tungsten light with fast (maybe f./2.8 and faster) lenses, shot at a wide aperture. The problem can be effectively masked by stopping down some, increasing the depth of field to compensate.

You might want to consider the new K-30 that's coming out soon. It has a lot of the features of the K-5, and is looking better than the K-r in almost every way, but is considerably cheaper than the K-5.
06-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #21

Thanks for the reply. I mainly plan to use it indoors under low light conditions, and I will use it often with artificial light. Since the low light is my major enemy right now, I am planning to buy a 50mm prime with f/1.8 wide aperture. This looks like a risky combination
I've just realized that I have to buy the 50mm lens with the body or even before to be able to test the camera with the above combination (The lens kit has just half its aperture, only f/3.5). So even if I return the camera, I will end up with a lens what I probably can not use.
Unfortunately the K-30 is out of my price range with its 900$, but a K-r without FF issue looks like a best buy for 630$. I was looking at Nikon d3100 and Canon 1100d/Rebel T3 when someone has just suggested me the K-r.
06-26-2012, 07:23 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
auto-focus can vary a bit between lens. The K-5 allows the user to tweak AF independently for several lens. The K-r on the other hand can store AF tweaks for only one lens at a time. IF you need to adjust AF, I suggest doing so for either the lens that is fussiest (likely your fastest lens), or for the lens that you use most often. Odds are good that depth of field will cover any issues with the rest of your lens.

As I am sure others will testify, if the depth of field is narrow and you will have multiple elements in your image is possible focus points, manual focus tends to be a lot less aggravating than having the camera pick a focus point different than intended.
06-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-r is a good camera. It has AF overlay in the viewfinder and the K-x does not. The K-r also uses the Pentax Battery, but with an adapter it can use AA batteries. It has many small improvements over the K-x, but the sensor I think is practically the same, so if image quality is your only priority, you might as well get the K-x since it should be much cheaper.
Keep in mind Pentax will soon start selling the K-30, which seems to be a K-r replacement. The K-30 will be more expensive since it is brand new, but it also has 16MP and it is water resistant. It also has many other small improvements and a different AF system.
However, the K-r is a good camera, you won't have any problems with it, just read the manual and remember the warranty.