Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I'm unsure how anyone can be bored using a camera brand. Are Pentax's really that much more exciting? I think changing from one brands entry level camera to another brands entry level camera is not going to make any observable difference in image quality to be honest.

By all means buy a K-r if it floats your boat, this forum is very helpful too, but don't expect much in the way of IQ impovement.
My very first film-SLR was a Rebel. That was 12 years ago. After that, I've owned 4 canon P&S. I tried my brother's friend's T2i, went to Panasonic and sony bridge cameras and now using my brother's Rebel XT. What I meant was, I've been pixel peeping canon images for over a decade and when I saw flickr images (and on this forum) some Pentax pictures, I was like 'WOW!'. Hence start of the hunt.

03-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shuttervelocity Quote
My very first film-SLR was a Rebel. That was 12 years ago. After that, I've owned 4 canon P&S. I tried my brother's friend's T2i, went to Panasonic and sony bridge cameras and now using my brother's Rebel XT. What I meant was, I've been pixel peeping canon images for over a decade and when I saw flickr images (and on this forum) some Pentax pictures, I was like 'WOW!'. Hence start of the hunt.
Cool. Keep in mind the "wow" is likely in large part coming from the lenses. Whenever I bring up images taken with my FA 31mm prime I always go "wow!", but that lens is out and out amazing and produces the "wow" whether I use it on my K-x or my K-5.
03-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Nobody could dispute that glass is the most important, and often the deciding factor in image quality, but comparing them side by side, the XT is very old, and the K-r is significantly better in pretty much every metric. That will have some noticeable effect on its output.

Canon XT vs. Pentax K-r

And for interest's sake, Canon T2i vs. Pentax K-r

Nice to see that snapsort has adjusted their weighting, particularly for that "popularity" criteria. Seems much fairer now.
03-13-2012, 04:50 PM   #19

Original Poster
But of course. The XT is very old, but since its lower MP than the T2i, its pixel density is higher. That should theoretically translate to better pictures in low-light conditions. And it does produce very good pictures even in dim lighting. But the lack of features like live-view wants me to upgrade. I already did the snapsort comparison and it was re-assuring to see that the K-r is the winner.

I have been hunting for a lesser pixel modern-day camera and the K-r fits right in. Everyone's caught up in the megapixels war. Heck the dsc-hx9v fits right in my pant pocket and boasts 16.2 MP!

03-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Nobody could dispute that glass is the most important, and often the deciding factor in image quality, but comparing them side by side, the XT is very old, and the K-r is significantly better in pretty much every metric. That will have some noticeable effect on its output.

Canon XT vs. Pentax K-r

And for interest's sake, Canon T2i vs. Pentax K-r

Nice to see that snapsort has adjusted their weighting, particularly for that "popularity" criteria. Seems much fairer now.
Oops, for some reason I thought we were comparing a T2i with a K-r.
03-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shuttervelocity Quote
But of course. The XT is very old, but since its lower MP than the T2i, its pixel density is higher. That should theoretically translate to better pictures in low-light conditions. And it does produce very good pictures even in dim lighting. But the lack of features like live-view wants me to upgrade. I already did the snapsort comparison and it was re-assuring to see that the K-r is the winner.

I have been hunting for a lesser pixel modern-day camera and the K-r fits right in. Everyone's caught up in the megapixels war. Heck the dsc-hx9v fits right in my pant pocket and boasts 16.2 MP!
Megapixels is probably the worst metric people use to judge a camera, but they do so out of familiarity. It's one of the metrics that people first learn. As for the size of the pixels on the XT, and how that translates, it's not entirely a good thing. Yes, the photosites should be larger, but it's also using an older sensor technology which won't be as good as more modern ones, and it's using a much older processor and firmware, which won't control noise as well as current.

Realistically, a T2i should produce better output, even in low light, despite the smaller pixels on its 18MP sensor. It has much improved software processing the output, and I'd be shocked if the sensor itself weren't a much better quality just due to the 5 years between them.

Comparing the T2i and K-r is easier. They're both approximately the same generation of camera, and have comparable levels of processing going on. The larger photosites on the K-r's 12MP sensor *might* give some small edge in low light performance, it certainly doesn't hurt. I think the most dramatic differences are in how the two sensors handle colours, and how the two processing engines differ (especially if shooting jpeg). For a lot of people the differences will boil down to personal preference more than anything, rather than an objective win for either.

From your posts, I think you'll be happy with the K-r. There is a whole list of reasons why it's advantageous over the T2i and its rivals, but honestly, the sensor itself is probably pretty low on that list.
03-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #22

Original Poster
Thanks for your inputs.

03-30-2012, 10:53 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Hi guys how often does the pentax k-r autofocus in tungsten light problem pop up? I'm looking to buy a used k-r in the marketplace here but that issue has me kind of worried. Also, if pentax is going to release a k-r replacement later this year, would it be wise for me to wait until that replacement comes out and then snap up a k-r while people are selling them to get the replacement? I'm in no rush and this is going to be my first dslr so I really just want to get one cheap and experiment a lot (which is why I chose pentax for the option of using old lenses!! excitement!!)
03-31-2012, 12:45 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slappyfin3 Quote
Hi guys how often does the pentax k-r autofocus in tungsten light problem pop up?
For me, it never has. I don't shoot at outrageously large apertures indoors though, and I don't shoot indoors at all very often. It's just not my thing. The times I have, no issue with it. It's supposed to mainly be a problem when shooting faster than about f./2, in weak tungsten light. I don't find it difficult to avoid those conditions together. You'll have to ask yourself if you plan to shoot under those conditions often enough that it might affect you.

I think the issue, while real for some, has been badly overblown by a relative few, vocal individuals.
03-31-2012, 04:10 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Ty Philoslothical, sometimes I get so lost reading these reiews that I forget this is the internet and people can make as big a fuss as they want over anything here x)