Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kryscendo Quote
I'd let you borrow one of my 16-50 DA* to level the playing field.
I will let him borrow my Porst Color Reflex 55/1.2 (cheaper than the DA*16-50) to the level the playing field with narrower DOF.

03-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
My goal was not to show Pentax lens DOF. I wanted to compare mid-range Pentax($640) with pro level Canon ($3700). I think Pentax has best color output and for me, how lens "draws" picture.
03-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with you; personally I prefer the color from Pentax than Canikon. Perhaps, it may have something to do with the SMC coating on the Pentax lens. Although some do like the Sigma or Tamron, I still prefer the SMC lens.
03-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #19
Veteran Member

They look very similar of course at low ISO, but I've found the 5D mark II to really shine in low light, as far as color accuracy and tonality is concerned. Other cameras I've used (K-x, K20D, D300 etc) fall short. I haven't used the K-r though.

03-16-2012, 06:25 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I agree with aleonx3 about Pentax lens SMC coating. During last eight years I had two Canons, two Olympus, one Panasonic and one Nikon, and this K-r my first Pentax. And for me it's kind of different world. Thanks to Pentax forum!
03-17-2012, 03:26 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DavGavash Quote
My goal was not to show Pentax lens DOF. I wanted to compare mid-range Pentax($640) with pro level Canon ($3700). I think Pentax has best color output and for me, how lens "draws" picture.
I understand EXACTLY what you are saying.

Enjoy. Have fun
03-17-2012, 05:42 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I don't know whats the big deal with shallower DOF on FF as shown in the above example.
IMO, for the shots posted, the Kr one looks better, and that's the bottom line in this case.
Sharper; More emphasis on the subjects (despite more DOF); punchier colors

Speaks a lot about how much APS-C cameras of all brands have improved over the past 2yrs.

TS, congrats to the new camera and enjoy

03-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I don't know whats the big deal with shallower DOF on FF as shown in the above example.
I think it's that you can always stop down a lens, but you can't go above its maximum aperture, obviously. So, as far as depth of field goes, all your lenses behave as if they're a little faster than when on an APS-C camera. I can see that being a selling point for some people.
03-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
I think it's that you can always stop down a lens, but you can't go above its maximum aperture, obviously. So, as far as depth of field goes, all your lenses behave as if they're a little faster than when on an APS-C camera. I can see that being a selling point for some people.

I know that, just don't see the reason to 'ooohhh...ahh...' over the 5D o/p wrt the given example.
04-02-2012, 02:48 AM   #25

To me, the red on the cup is brighter and the green of the foilage in the background is artificially bright on the Pentax photo. This goes to show that colour preference and not colour accuracy is what any camera produces. I suppose it is easy to set the jpeg settings for both camera's to get closer to each other but be aware that the red channel in the Pentax is driven close to saturation whilst on Canon and Nikon, there is more head room on the red channel. I suppose this is one reason why professionals who PP their raw images stick with Nikon or Canon rather than Pentax. Not to say that Pro's dont use Pentax but they appear to be in the minority.
04-02-2012, 05:23 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by jlaubza Quote
To me, the red on the cup is brighter and the green of the foilage in the background is artificially bright on the Pentax photo. This goes to show that colour preference and not colour accuracy is what any camera produces. I suppose it is easy to set the jpeg settings for both camera's to get closer to each other but be aware that the red channel in the Pentax is driven close to saturation whilst on Canon and Nikon, there is more head room on the red channel. I suppose this is one reason why professionals who PP their raw images stick with Nikon or Canon rather than Pentax. Not to say that Pro's dont use Pentax but they appear to be in the minority.
This is hardly apples to apples. The point of the OP was to suggest the K-r, an entry level DSLR, can hang with a pro model.....costing significantly more.....in overall image quality. I'm guessing the 645D or the K-5 would have more red channel headroom than the K-r.

Beyond that, I don't see what you're seeing. The red cup in the K-r shot looks "red". The Canon shot looks more of an orange red, and, if anything it looks more "driven to saturation".

Finally, your reference to PP on RAW images after previously talking about JPEG output in the same post doesn't make sense.....it's no processing versus processing. And you even conceded that you could tweak the JPEG output in camera. Pros may not use Pentax as much as Canon, but for a variety of reasons way beyond red channel headroom.

Last edited by ccd333; 04-02-2012 at 05:34 AM.