Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2012, 07:23 AM   #1

K-r only getting 6 shots in burst

I upgraded my old *ist-DL last fall to a K-r for shooting football, and now rugby. I noticed last night I wasn't getting as many shots in burst mode as I thought I should, so started doing some experimenting. I determined that I am getting only 6 shots, whether it is set for JPG (even down to 6M) or RAW before the buffer seems to fill up. I saw in reviews that it should be 29 frames - which would be completely acceptable. I upgraded the firmware to v1.11 when I first got the camera, and tried 1.12 last night with no change in the behavior.

Is there some setting buried I need to look for to tweak further, or is something up with my unit? Thanks all

03-15-2012, 07:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hello and welcome to the forums. You do indeed seem to be getting very few shot's there, it is probably down to the memory card you are using. Various cards have different write speeds. This is the time it takes the camera to write or save the digital information in your photo onto the memory card. Cheaper cards have write speeds of lower speeds than the more expensive one's. Some cards display this on them, it will state "class 4" on the face of the card. I would recommend a class 10 card at least and from a major manufacturer such as kingston. Hope this helps.
03-15-2012, 07:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Aboard!

Snappychappy is right on the mark. The speed of the card is a huge factor in how many frames your camera can take at a time. There are a number of threads around about good quality SD Cards, but your K-r can only take advantage of cards up to Class 10 when it is writing so getting the newer cards primarily intended for video would be more expensive and not add to fixing your issue beyond what the Class 10 cards snappychappy recommended would already do. There are warnings on eBay and other places about fake SD cards - essentially class 2 & 4 cards that have new paper pasted onto the outside that says Class 10. Stick with a known brand from a reputable seller. Good Class 10 cards can be had for as little as a $1 per gb these days.
03-15-2012, 07:57 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks - I am using Kingston class 10 cards, have generally been using 32GB cards (which if I interpret correctly, have a 10Mbps xfer rate), so tried one of my Kingston 16G cards that show 19Mbps with no change in # of shots in the burst.

Correct me if my perception is incorrect, but wouldn't the stated # of burst shots be related to camera internal memory, then the drain rate would be dependent on transfer speed to the card?

03-15-2012, 08:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dtweed Quote
Thanks - I am using Kingston class 10 cards, have generally been using 32GB cards (which if I interpret correctly, have a 10Mbps xfer rate), so tried one of my Kingston 16G cards that show 19Mbps with no change in # of shots in the burst.

Correct me if my perception is incorrect, but wouldn't the stated # of burst shots be related to camera internal memory, then the drain rate would be dependent on transfer speed to the card?
No, the stated is the max rate and is dependent on both the cameras ability to take the photo and its ability to process it and then write it to the SD card thereby clearing internal memory for the next goround.

Do you have any of the corrections turned on for your camera? Forgive me but I don't have a K-r any more but my K-5 has both lens and distortion corrections that can be turned on and off through the menu. Each of those slows the burst speed significantly when turned on.
03-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Try resetting the camera to its default settings.
03-15-2012, 08:05 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Do you have any of the corrections turned on for your camera? Forgive me but I don't have a K-r any more but my K-5 has both lens and distortion corrections that can be turned on and off through the menu. Each of those slows the burst speed significantly when turned on.
I may well have those turned on with some tests I was previously doing (to see what they actually do vs. using lightroom for corrections) - I'll turn those off this afternoon and see what effect that has.

Thanks!
03-15-2012, 08:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I may well have those turned on with some tests I was previously doing (to see what they actually do vs. using lightroom for corrections) - I'll turn those off this afternoon and see what effect that has.

Thanks!
Best way to max the burst rate is to do what snappychappy suggested - set it all back to the basic settings from the factory. Also, there have been some reports, although anecdotal, of higher gb cards taking longer to write to than smaller cards. I've seen comparisons of 8gb to 16gb and 16gb to 32gb, both those reports indicated subjective impression that the smaller card (identical maker and rating for each of the cards used) was faster. So, you might try with your 16gb card when you do your tests this afternoon.

03-15-2012, 08:13 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Docrwm is correct, highlight and shadow corrections should also be turned off.
03-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey guys I'm still new to this so correct me if I'm wrong(And I'm getting a lil confuse here). First of all, is "Continuous shooting" = "Burst mode/shot" right? Also As far as I know the kr's specs on continuous shooting is Hi: 6 fps (25 JPG, 12 RAW), Lo: 2 fps (unlimited JPG, 36 RAW) So the theory is if I have a slow card I can still do 6fps with the proper exposure but my shot count will be lower? like instead of doing 12 raw in 2 secs I would be able to only do less?
03-15-2012, 09:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
Hey guys I'm still new to this so correct me if I'm wrong(And I'm getting a lil confuse here). First of all, is "Continuous shooting" = "Burst mode/shot" right? Also As far as I know the kr's specs on continuous shooting is Hi: 6 fps (25 JPG, 12 RAW), Lo: 2 fps (unlimited JPG, 36 RAW) So the theory is if I have a slow card I can still do 6fps with the proper exposure but my shot count will be lower? like instead of doing 12 raw in 2 secs I would be able to only do less?
With a slow card it might not be able to do even the initial 6fps for the first second. Also, any in camera processing of the files will slow it down.
03-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ohh so with a lower grade card + in camera processing the Kr's potential to get 6fps is not going to be possible because of the speed, but its capability to do contentious shooting at Hi (Maybe 3 - 5 fps) 25 jpg shots / 12 raw shots is still possible? or would the shot count be lower also?
03-15-2012, 04:27 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thank you all - the culprit was indeed the lens distortion setting turned on. The others (highlight & shadow correction) were off. Getting those turned off cranked my buffer back up to what I expected! Nice having 5 seconds of high speed buffer instead of just 1 again!

As an aside to our other conversation here (regarding card size & speed), I did some further testing that there seemed to be no noticeable speed difference to buffer drain between my 16G and 32G class-10 SDHC cards (16G is a SanDisk Ultra 20MB/s, 32G is a Kingston Ultimate X 100X - mod # SD10G2/32GB). For testing I timed filling the buffer up to the first pause (I got 32 frames), then stopping once the write light went out. Ended up being around 17 seconds all told.
03-15-2012, 04:53 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Thank you all - the culprit was indeed the lens distortion setting turned on. The others (highlight & shadow correction) were off. Getting those turned off cranked my buffer back up to what I expected! Nice having 5 seconds of high speed buffer instead of just 1 again!

As an aside to our other conversation here (regarding card size & speed), I did some further testing that there seemed to be no noticeable speed difference to buffer drain between my 16G and 32G class-10 SDHC cards (16G is a SanDisk Ultra 20MB/s, 32G is a Kingston Ultimate X 100X - mod # SD10G2/32GB). For testing I timed filling the buffer up to the first pause (I got 32 frames), then stopping once the write light went out. Ended up being around 17 seconds all told.
Good to hear that its all sorted and going well. Thanks for the additional tests with the cards, as I said it was anecdotal and I'm less certain about it but thought it worth mentioning because you had said you were using two different cards.
03-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #15

Highlight & Shadow settings don't affect my Kr's burst rate however any lens correction including CA does affect it.