Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-21-2012, 06:08 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Other than the remote issue I'm really pleased with my K-r. I use it a lot for wildlife and other outdoor photography on long hikes (hardly any family photos). It's lighter to carry than a more expensive camera and I can get sharp telephoto shots without lugging a tripod around. The burst rate is impressive. I can't think of any other area where a more expensive camera would meet my needs better (except for perhaps weather proofing - not a problem so far).

You can actually use the remote from the front/side of the camera outside the frame and avoid vibration that way, but I wouldn't mind being able to trigger the camera from a greater distance (say for hummingbirds at a feeder). I could probably rig up some sort of reflector attached to a tripod but I haven't tried that yet.

I read reviews before I bought the camera but I don't think that was raised as an issue - it was just a bit of a surprise when I actually started to use it. Even with my old K1000 I had a cable release that I could operate from behind the camera.

03-21-2012, 07:42 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote

12 posts nothing good to say

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=5991883

Ever think it may be the operator not the equipment

*ignore*

For all its worth, I've reported this thread to the mods with reference to your link on poster's posting history.
03-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
Other than the remote issue I'm really pleased with my K-r. I use it a lot for wildlife and other outdoor photography on long hikes (hardly any family photos). It's lighter to carry than a more expensive camera and I can get sharp telephoto shots without lugging a tripod around. The burst rate is impressive. I can't think of any other area where a more expensive camera would meet my needs better (except for perhaps weather proofing - not a problem so far).

You can actually use the remote from the front/side of the camera outside the frame and avoid vibration that way, but I wouldn't mind being able to trigger the camera from a greater distance (say for hummingbirds at a feeder). I could probably rig up some sort of reflector attached to a tripod but I haven't tried that yet.

I read reviews before I bought the camera but I don't think that was raised as an issue - it was just a bit of a surprise when I actually started to use it. Even with my old K1000 I had a cable release that I could operate from behind the camera.
there is a hard wire release for the Pentax cameras as well that works like the old cable release (also uses less battery power than the wireless)

Pentax CS-205 Wired Remote reviews - Pentax Camera Accessories: Database and Reviews

pretty cheap as well
03-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Eddie, the K-r doesn't have a port for it.

jacamar, you can very easily build a small reflector to clip onto your tripod that will let you shoot from behind the camera, with the remote.

03-21-2012, 08:17 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
there is a hard wire release for the Pentax cameras as well that works like the old cable release (also uses less battery power than the wireless)

Pentax CS-205 Wired Remote reviews - Pentax Camera Accessories: Database and Reviews

pretty cheap as well
The K-r doesn't have a remote port, only the IR port.

Pclix makes a remote with interval shooting capabilities and an infrared cable. It's pricey though $150 for the remote and $22 to $35 for the cable.

https://www.pclix.com/
03-21-2012, 08:54 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Philos - no hummingbirds here in Ontario just yet despite the warm weather, but headed down to SE Arizona next month so I'll experiment on the feeders at the place we're staying down there. I just checked and a white piece of paper works as a reflector with the Pentax remote from about 15 feet indoors - I'll check in brighter light sometime, maybe using tinfoil. So maybe I don't need the pclix boris.
03-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #22
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
For all its worth, I've reported this thread to the mods with reference to your link on poster's posting history.
I don't see any need for moderator intervention here (yet).
You guys are doing a pretty good job so far expressing the general sentiment regarding threads like this.

03-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
I just checked and a white piece of paper works as a reflector with the Pentax remote from about 15 feet indoors - I'll check in brighter light sometime, maybe using tinfoil. So maybe I don't need the pclix boris.
If you find you need something a bit more sturdy, like if there's a breeze that interferes with paper, try cutting a chunk off an aluminum pie plate (the disposable type), curling it into a bit of an arc, and punching a hole for it to go on the tripod screw between it and camera. It's easier to do than explain, I think.
03-21-2012, 09:59 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks - I'll try that out.
03-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #25

Original Poster
By the by... I'm not a troll, just a very frustrated (previous) Pentax user. I've actually recently migrated over to Sony and while the low-light performance isn't nearly as good as the Pentax was, the over-all image quality and focusing abilities are far superior. I am happy to at least have something besides 'canikon' :P I guess you people here probably think I'm some monstrous troll

Last edited by Parallax; 04-03-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Closed Thread