Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2012, 12:08 AM   #1

Kr and a77 in low light

I bought a kr about a year ago but ive been thinking about moving over to the sony a77. I like the video capabilities of the sony compared to the kr and the EVF is really nice as well. The only thing im wondering is if the a77 will be better or worse in low light/high iso situations than the kr as far as noise and IQ go. Anyone have any thoughts?

03-22-2012, 12:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
depends on how you look at it. being a much higher-megapixel camera, you'll see a comparable amount of noise if you go in and look at 100%. resized down to k-r sized files, it should be an improvement over the k-r in regards to high iso noise. same sort of thing should be true when printing to the same size with both cameras.
03-22-2012, 12:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

All you can do is read the detailed reviews on both cameras, then go to a dealers and try them out instore.
03-22-2012, 01:06 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You can compare results here :
Imaging Resource "Comparometer"

Texas professional photographer Kirk Tuck tried it and found JPG o/p above ISO1600 to be not too good.
The Visual Science Lab / Kirk Tuck: The Good, The Bad and the Ugly of the Sony a77 Camera.

My few cents, A77 is good as a MP monster at ISO800 and lower (pref lower), if you need the megapix.
Other than that, the K5 is a better camera and system (smaller camera, lens, OVF, o/p)

03-22-2012, 06:31 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can see that the K-r isn't very good for video, but EVF? EVF is usually counted as a con, as a bad thing, most photographers prefer a OVF. To each their own I guess.
03-22-2012, 07:09 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joec6512 Quote
I bought a kr about a year ago but ive been thinking about moving over to the sony a77. I like the video capabilities of the sony compared to the kr and the EVF is really nice as well. The only thing im wondering is if the a77 will be better or worse in low light/high iso situations than the kr as far as noise and IQ go. Anyone have any thoughts?
High ISO performance of the A77 and K-r are virtually dead even, except that the K-r has slightly better colour sensitivity above ISO 1600.
03-22-2012, 10:16 AM   #7

My wife has an SLT-33 . The EVF was ok to me at first however, i prefer an optical viewfinder . The finder does have a large FOV but it does get noisy in low light situations. The camera itself does about as good in low light as my KR. The video is very good though,much better than the KR. Her SLT-33 overheats very easily though. I would bypass the slt line at least for a while longer till all of the bugs are worked out. Just my opinion as i am sure others will disagree.
03-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

This might be a good read because the A77 isn't that different.
The Sony Alpha SLT-A57: 1080p 60fps and Why It Doesn’t Matter - NoFilmSchool

About comparing the camera's don't forget that ISO800 with the KR is different than ISO800 on the A77 when we talk about light gathering.
The sensor gather roughly the same light but the A77 has a fixed mirror so the A77 also has a 1/3th of a stop disadvantage.
Also look at the lenses off Sony, because with just a camera you aren't there yet.