Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #1

Wireless trigger problems...

Heya,

I just came back from a shoot where I was shooting with a 5D mk2... Then when I decided to use my KR (wireless trigger, 2 umbrella settings) it wouldn't fire on 'M' mode. The flash fired with all the other modes but i could not set the shutter speed and the aperture to the right settings hence all the pictures where over exposed. I was just wondering if y'all knew if it is possible to fire the flash in 'M' mode, if so what was i doing wrong?

03-28-2012, 11:30 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
I've used my K-r with Catus V5 remote triggers with great success. Just make sure your shutter speed is 1/180 and less. I always use M mode when using these triggers. Not sure what your issue might be. Is the trigger seated correctly? Batteries good? Right channel?

If the flash was not firing then the overexposure must be from ambient light. Indoors? What ISO. Post a sample.
03-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #3

Original Poster
Basically, when i was in any mode besides M the flash fired without any problems, but i cannot change any of the settings hence the photos were overexposed to the fact that the shutter speed was to slow for the flash.
03-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #4

Shutter speed and flash do not affect one another (assuming your shutter speed is slower than the sync speed of 1/180). The duration of the flash is around 1/6000 to 1/10000....much quicker than the shutter. Therefore, the image will be exposed to the same amount of flash light no matter what shutter speed you select (again less than 1/180). To control the light you either need to stop down the aperture, lower the ISO or reduce the flash strength.

When you take a photo with the flash off, do you see anything or is your image black? If your image is still overexposed, then ambient light is too strong. For ambient you can use all 3 (shutter speed, ISO and aperture) to control the light.

AB

03-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #5

Original Poster
Ok, when i was shooting with my 5D i was on settings 1/200~400 F11, and when i shot with my Pentax when the flash was fired it was over exposed and when the flash didn't fire the final bpicture was black. So i tired shooting M mode so that i could change the settings but whenever i was on M the trigger wouldnt sync with the light ( 2 umbrellas and 1 soft box) Oh and for the issue with ambient light it was almost 0 the room was dark. SO, my question is how can i make my trigger work with M mode on my KR.

cheers,
KM
03-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
set shutter to 1/180, keep aperture and iso the same as 5D. if this overexposes, lower your iso or close down your aperture or turn down flash power. unless you want to control the amount of ambient entering the frame, you will not need to touch your shutter speed.
03-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
can you also tell us what sort of lights and triggers you're working with? some lights and triggers have certain quirks you'll have to work around.

03-28-2012, 01:30 PM   #8

I'm wondering too if the Canon system uses some sort of TTL to adjust the flash output intensity. Pentax doesn't have PTTL for remote flashes so it will always fire at maximum (at least I think so).
03-28-2012, 06:00 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adpo Quote
set shutter to 1/180, keep aperture and iso the same as 5D. if this overexposes, lower your iso or close down your aperture or turn down flash power. unless you want to control the amount of ambient entering the frame, you will not need to touch your shutter speed.
right so basically if i put it on those settings on M mode the flash wont fire,,,
but with Av or Tv i cannot work around those settings,,, or maybe i just dont know how to.
03-28-2012, 07:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

That happened to me once. I was taking pictures with wireless remotes and for some reason, I couldn't get the Kr to work with the flash triggers. It wouldn't even allow me to set my camera to wireless mode.

I turned everything off, took the batteries out of everything, set everything up again and for some reason, now it worked. I was using some cowboy studio flash triggers. It has never happened again since. Just one of those freak moments where it wouldn't work. If your shutter speed is 1/180 or less, it should work on manual mode. You may want to try taking the batteries out. Who knows what was wrong, but that fixed the problem for me.