Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #1

How Durable?

How durable is the K7 really? can anyone tell me of any case where they had bad drop to there k7 and did it still work afterwards?

03-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It shouldn't break- I dropped my K10D once from about 4 feet and nothing happened to it or the lens (except that the hood got all scratched up), but I wouldn't be dropping mine on a daily basis

It's got a magnesium skeleton, after all- that stuff's very tough.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've got a k5 that shares the same body design as the k7, its taken several nasty falls in the time I've owned it and its still clicking on just fine. Only thing wrong with it is the popup flash has some difficulty coming up from a rather nasty dent at the hinge, but it still comes up all the way and fires
03-29-2012, 11:52 AM   #4

Well, this is a K-r Forum. Has anyone dropped their K-r without ill effects?

03-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ccd333 Quote
I fell off a bike and landed on my K-r and DA15 skidding across the pavement on it

The DA15 got grounded down and some scratches to the K-r but glass was perfect, the K-rs AF was off after that but I could use MF with pretty good success.

Sent it to Pentax they said I needed a new sensor/SR same cost as a new camera, they sold me a K-5 for a good price (and kept the K-r). K-5 seems super sturdy

Here is how well the "broken" K-r worked...(55mm 1.2 lens MF @ 1.2)

04-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ccd333 Quote
Yep, today I was putting stuff into the backseat of an SUV and dropped my K-r from about waist-height onto the cement... it bounced and rolled under the truck... and the battery came out. Scratches on the corner of the body by the shutter release and scratches on the front edge of the metal lens hood in two different places. Also big scratch on the Black Rapid FastenR-3 screwed into the tripod mount (yes I know, should have been actually wearing the strap).

So far, seems to work just fine! The way I tend to take care of things, I'm honestly surprised I had it a year before this happened.

Side note: My wife actually chuckled when I said, "For a second there I thought I had an excuse to upgrade."
04-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by HockeyDad Quote

Side note: My wife actually chuckled when I said, "For a second there I thought I had an excuse to upgrade."
Guessing it was nervous laughter.

Glad your K-r survived. Good to know.