Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
OK, so knowing that I'd not be comfortable being without backup power, I bought a pair of 2000 mAH lithium-ion packs on eBay for $9.95 and no shipping. While these have a higher rated capacity than the factory pack, the life seems to be about the same (~250 shots, but with lots of reviewing, menu navigation, etc. in between as I'm still learning my way around). The biggest difference I noticed between these packs and the eneloops (or eneloop-like generics I have) is that they very quickly go from "slightly low" to completely exhausted. Now, as I don't have an AA adapter yet (ordered two cheapies - $3.99 each, free shipping - from eBay, but won't have them for a few weeks, hence the battery purchase), I'm comparing AA behavior in my K2000 to Li-ion behavior in my K-r. However, battery behavior is probably more a factor of the design and capacity of the battery than the device it's used in.

Bottom-line, when (if?) the AA adapters arrive, I'll have the factory 1050 mAH pack, two 2000 mAH packs, and two AA holders packed with eneloops, so I'll be very well set for all the shooting I'll be doing this Summer. In the end, I don't want to be swapping batteries every 100 shots, but if I can get a solid day of shooting (probably ~200 shots) out of one fully charged pack or set of AAs, I'll be satisfied, and it'll be easy enough to have backup on hand.

04-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #17

I have both the enloops with the battery cage and 2 back up batteries bought on Ebay too. There's definitely a difference in the performance but unless you use do continuous shots you won't notice. The battery life is kind of weird though. The k-r will say half charged and then you turn it on and off it says full power only later to run out... guess that's my fault lol. Not enough time to gauge the battery level I think.

Bottom line I think having an extra lithium battery + battery cage is good for everyone and it's not that expensive compared to other things.
04-18-2012, 10:55 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Severed Quote
The battery life is kind of weird though. The k-r will say half charged and then you turn it on and off it says full power only later to run out... guess that's my fault lol.
This has happened with a few Pentax DSLR models. It's a minor bug that Pentax seems to have struggled with a bit. I don't know of anything we can do to prevent it, it just means keeping rough track of how much of an average charge we've used. It can be a bit irritating, but I've had such good performance from the Li-Ion that came with it that I'm not complaining.
05-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #19

i just got back from india on a trip using the k-r with a cheap chinese aa adapter, id say i got 500+ photos off a set of enigizer ultimate lithium using live view and playback a lot, seemed far better than the battery that comes with. On the same subject i switched my torch batteries from duracell plus to ultimate lithiums and get around 4-5 times the length of use on them (especially an itp eos1 torch with cr123 battery was incredible with an increase in brightness along with longevity). FYI i know i could probably get similar with rechargeable but i was camping in very remote areas for over a month without power supply. So i guess this info might be useful to someone in a similar situation. another thing to note is the ultimate lithiums are EXTREMELY light, allowing you to have a lot with you

05-03-2012, 12:40 AM   #20

I tried once with AAs. pack, all photo taken with manual focus, with Lv screen shut down, it can last for at least 900~ shots
05-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #21

sorry for going slightly off topic, but has anybody used 3rd party li-ion batterys? how do they compare with the pentax branded ones that are 4 times the price?
05-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got over 1000 shots on a set of Energizer Ultimate lithium AAs. I have been trying to use rechargeable batteries, but get frustrated with the 250-ish snaps a charge. I recently bought a Maha C9000 charger to try to revitalize two sets of Eneloops I'd been very disappointed with, so we'll see how it goes. I also got a new set of Powerex Imedion AA rechargeables and got 250 on the first go with those. I understand it can take a few charge cycles to get the best out of a set, though, so I'm trying to be patient.

The proprietary battery is good for no more than 200 shots or so for me. I have quit using mine.

05-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by aymonroche Quote
sorry for going slightly off topic, but has anybody used 3rd party li-ion batterys? how do they compare with the pentax branded ones that are 4 times the price?
I used one, cost me like 10usd, from china, did not feel any difference with official batt, both of them can do 300+~400 pic, depends on how you use it.

http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=13038675758&ad_id=&am_id=&cm_id=&pm_id=
05-04-2012, 03:36 AM   #24

okay thanks, judging by this post looks like i'm much better off with AA's anyway.
05-04-2012, 05:42 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by aymonroche Quote
okay thanks, judging by this post looks like i'm much better off with AA's anyway.
There is one thing you may need to know if you are going to use AAs pack, some times the camera may show the battery is running low while it's not actually "low", especially when you are using too much flash or your lens is doing a lot of hunting (like 55-300).

I think this may be caused by the voltage of AAx4(=6v), the li-ion batt is 7.4v, so when you see the battery bar is yellow or red after not too many shots, then what you need to do is just simply turn off the camera and turn on it again, the battery bar will be green and full again.
05-06-2012, 07:36 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by frankfanrui Quote
There is one thing you may need to know if you are going to use AAs pack, some times the camera may show the battery is running low while it's not actually "low", especially when you are using too much flash or your lens is doing a lot of hunting (like 55-300).

I think this may be caused by the voltage of AAx4(=6v), the li-ion batt is 7.4v, so when you see the battery bar is yellow or red after not too many shots, then what you need to do is just simply turn off the camera and turn on it again, the battery bar will be green and full again.
yeah i noticed that when i was using my friend's k-x
05-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #27

I bought a Pearstone replacement battery for K-r from B&H (@ 20 quid it aint exactly cheap) and it works as well as the original one. Get about 350-400 shots with each of them. Also use eneloops with the battery holder. But will admit I rely more on the Li-Ion ones for the simple reason they recharge fully in 1.5 hours while the eneloops take far far longer (more than a day). So in a pinch you can recharge your Li-Ions in a jiffy which you cant do with the AAs. For many this would clinch the issue.
05-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by frankfanrui Quote
There is one thing you may need to know if you are going to use AAs pack, some times the camera may show the battery is running low while it's not actually "low", I think this may be caused by the voltage of AAx4(=6v), the li-ion batt is 7.4v,
Actually it isn't the voltage per se, but the discharge characteristics of the battery's specific chemistry. For older battery technologies, the voltage declines in a fairly straight line as the battery discharges - this is easily metered. For newer technologies, the voltage declines a lot slower as the battery discharges, and given a rest will even return to a higher voltage. This is why you see the metering effects you describe.

While the K-r has an 'auto' option for battery type, generally speaking the metering algorithm will be more accurate if you specifically tell the camera which chemistry type you are using.
05-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Actually it isn't the voltage per se, but the discharge characteristics of the battery's specific chemistry. For older battery technologies, the voltage declines in a fairly straight line as the battery discharges - this is easily metered. For newer technologies, the voltage declines a lot slower as the battery discharges, and given a rest will even return to a higher voltage. This is why you see the metering effects you describe.

While the K-r has an 'auto' option for battery type, generally speaking the metering algorithm will be more accurate if you specifically tell the camera which chemistry type you are using.
This is a more reasonable explanation.
05-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sydbarett Quote
Also use eneloops with the battery holder. But will admit I rely more on the Li-Ion ones for the simple reason they recharge fully in 1.5 hours while the eneloops take far far longer (more than a day).
What kind of AA charger are you using ? Eneloops have a 2000 mAh capacity. 2000 / 24 would be only 83 mAh charging, I am not aware of any charger that slow.
You can recharge eneloops much faster with a better charger. With my MAHA C9000 at 500 mAh, they recharge in 2 hours.
If you are in a big rush, you could also use a 15 minute charger, but those are not recommended and may damage your batteries.