Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-r Battery Life: AAs vs. Li-Ion?

I'm wondering what type of battery life you folks are getting out of your K-r's running on AAs vs. running on the standard Li-Ion battery pack?

For the AAs, I have a couple sets of eneloops and a couple more sets of Powerex pre-charged (eneloop knock-offs) which are about 18 months old, but in good condition (I use this Powerex charger, usually the "soft charge" option and condition them about every 4-5 charge cycles). So, if you're using eneloops (or equivalents), approximately how many shots do you typically get from a freshly-charged set?

For the Li-Ion pack, about how many shots do you get from a freshly-charged pack? Also, what is the approximate shelf-life of a charged pack? For example, if I were to buy one or two more packs and charge them to keep on hand, how quickly would they self-discharge?

Thanks for any input you might have.

-Chad

04-01-2012, 04:31 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
I get 300-400 out of a set of eneloops, 200ish from the standard battery. Though I read somewhere here recently that keeping it in remote drive consumes quite a lot of power, which would explain why I get so little when others are talking at least double if not more what I get. I shoot almost exclusively on a tripod with a remote, so just keep the camera in remote drive mode. I guess the blinking IR sensor draws a lot of power or something.

As for shelf life of the standard battery, I've kept mine in my bag for over a month before using it and still got around the normal ~200ish pictures. You'd probably be better with eneloops though as they are stated to have very low discharge; I have two spare sets, but I was thinking of getting another AA holder so I can just quick change from one to the other. Though I don't shoot enough to worry, I charge my standard battery while using the eneloops, bag it, then swap it out when eneloops run low and charge those. Fine alternation. But I don't go out to places where I can't do that readily, nor shoot hundreds/thousands of shots at a time, so your usage would change those needs I suppose.
04-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Can't say for sure. Estimate 300-500 shots with 10% or less flash using 4 recharge AA's
04-02-2012, 04:55 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kona Quote
I was thinking of getting another AA holder so I can just quick change from one to the other.
Quick, somewhat off-topic comment... This is exactly what I use. Two AA holders with eneloops. One holder is in the camera. The other holder is loaded with a rubber band around it to make sure the cells don't bounce out, and put in a small plastic bag inside my camera bag. It takes seconds to make the swap in the field. Both AA holders are 3rd party and work great. The selling point for me is the self-discharge rate of the eneloops. Even if I used backup sets of LiON batteries, I would have an AA holder 'just in case' while travelling.

04-02-2012, 05:59 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I get a lot of variation; as little as 250 shots from the lithium, usually well above 400 when using eneloops. I love my eneloops!

These figures are for general use, flash off, using screw-drive lenses in AF-S focus mode. I have done a few interval-shoots recently with manual focus and manual metering, and got 1200 shots with some life left in the tank. Screen off and focus motor off makes a big difference. So does turning the AF-assist light off when you are using auto-focus.
04-02-2012, 06:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Been shooting with AA's for years with a PS camera. With my dslr's I love AA's. Would NEVER consider a non AA dslr until the last of my AA powered dslrs' died. (Got 6 of them)

Proprietary batteries are more powerful no doubt. But, AA's do a good job and I am not dissatisfied at all with their performance.

You young guys will see how complex you life can get when you have a dozen different chargers that run all these special batteries you must stock. The companies are fudging you cause they want to to buy their high priced batteries and you get locked into them. That is the reason I wont shoot with Nikon or Canon and wont go above Pentax 12 mp cams. They are all in the same boat of fudging the customer.

It is a wonderful feeling to know every damn thing you got runs on AA or AAA batteries. In the past I had to stock every type of battery from D's, C's, Lanterns and all the assorted proprietary batteries. On day I had enough and said fudge that. Made up my mind to never buy anything that wont run on AA's or AAA.

Now, I am not 100% successful with this strategy, but about 95% successful.

This wont run on AA's.

http://www.policemag.com/_Images/articles/M-Arsenal-82.jpg

My rad detector runs on 9v. Also few smoke detectors are 9v My garage door openers run on wafer batts...but that is it!

Pentax if you ever want me to buy your new dslr's...make them run on 4 AA's or no deal...no way...no how Pentax.

Last edited by slackercruster; 04-02-2012 at 06:47 AM.
04-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
Forum Member

Hi

Sorry, don't mean to derail the thread but I've been wondering whether the new K-z will run on AAs? I'm trying to decide whether to get a K-r while they are still around or to hold out for the replacement. Does anyone know anything?

The flexibility of being able to use AAs is something I'm keen on!
04-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Popty Ping Quote
Sorry, don't mean to derail the thread but I've been wondering whether the new K-z will run on AAs?
No such camera exists, yet anyway. There has been no announcement of a K-r or K-5 successor.

04-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
No such camera exists, yet anyway. There has been no announcement of a K-r or K-5 successor.
Ah sorry, that'll teach me for not logging in often enough and skimming through threads when I do!!! Seemed to remember reading a few weeks ago that it was in the pipeline. Not checked since.
04-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

It's all good. There were a couple images floating around, heavily fuzzed, and not very authentic looking. They spawned a couple speculation threads, and of course Adam egged this on, but there's most likely nothing to them. I haven't seen any followup to indicate they were real.

And so, we wait. And wait. Not that I'm in any rush to buy a new camera, myself, but it would be nice to see more activity from Pentax/Ricoh.
04-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
And so, we wait. And wait. Not that I'm in any rush to buy a new camera, myself, but it would be nice to see more activity from Pentax/Ricoh.
Have you missed the release of the K-01 earlier this year?
04-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Have you missed the release of the K-01 earlier this year?
Nope, and I didn't miss the release of the Q last year. I'm not looking for a point and shoot, and without a viewfinder of any kind, that's about all it is, to me. A big, blocky, heavy, APS-C point and shoot. I see the K-01 as a questionable offering at best, and a big mistake for the brand, at worst.
04-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Hey don't get picky now, you said camera not DSLR
04-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Argh. You got me on that one.

Either way, I can wait. I know a lot of the natives are getting restless around here for a new DSLR but I won't be worried as long as something comes out on that front this year.
04-07-2012, 06:21 AM   #15

I got not many shots from the lithium battery it's quite poor capacity wise maybe 250 odd near there so moving to AA's makes a lot more sense