Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2012, 06:19 AM   #1

Two different Pentax K-r offerings

I am rather green when it comes to rating lenses, so if someone has the time I would very much appreciate it if you could give your opinion on the following propositions:

Pentax K-r, Tamron 18-200 mm (Tamron -18-200mm F/3.5-6.3(Model A14)), see the offer here: Pentax K-R SORT + OBJEKTIV TAMRON 18-200 MM + TASKE 50099 + 4 GB SDHC-HUKOMMELSESKORT k

+

Pentax Objektiv SMC DA 35mm - f/2.4 A

Total price: $1046

vs.

Pentax K-r with kit lenses: PENTAX DSLR K-R KIT 18-55MM+DAL50-200MM, 701533 / 14649 | ComputerSalg.dk

Total: $966

My big problem is that I am not quite sure where or what I am going to be taking pictures of. Living in a big city I will likely be taking shots there. One thing for sure – I know I will taking shots indoor of my family and friends. In this respect I am leaning towards the pricier package with the Tamron + Pentax lenses. I was considering getting an f/1.4 Pentax lens, but prices are out of range for my budget.

On a sidenote I was looking at the K-5 (for its weather resistance), and I have found this offer Pentax K-5 - DIGITALKAMERA - SLR - 16.28 MPIX - -DA 18-55MM WR OG 50-200MM WR OBJEKTIVER - OPTISK ZOOM: 3 X - UNDERST which is ca. $1550. That is quite a bit more than the K-r's I have been eyeing. Unsure whether I will wasting my money getting gear that I will not be able to utilize fully (this may also be true of the K-r). Also my understanding is that the K-5 is a fullframe. Don't know how much of a difference this will be to me.

04-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #2

- First, those seem like very high prices. I got my K-r with both kit lenses you mentioned.....18-55 and 50-200......for $450! Granted it was on Ebay and I was very patient and fortunate.

- If you are concerned about the possibility of the tungsten front focusing issue of the K-r for indoor shots, perhaps you would be better off waiting until you get enough for the K5. The K-r is an excellent upper entry level DSLR and I don't have the tungsten problem, but many seem to suggest they have one that does.

- The K5 is a semi-pro camera and a substantial upgrade from the K-r in many respects.....just the weather sealing alone is a huge difference for some. But more dedicated buttons, more MP (for cropping or larger print range), better sensor, higher fps, less noise at higher ISO, pentaprism viewfinder, longer battery life, 1080 movies, more dynamic range, built better, etc...

- The K5 is NOT a full frame camera. It is an APS-C format.....which is essentially the next best thing. Or, some will argue even better since you get extended distance with your lenses.

- It would be nice to have one lens that covered the entire focal range you would need, as in the 18-200 Tamron, but I like both the kit lenses so I think if it's cheaper then that is the better deal. Don't know enough about the Tamron to say. The 18-55 is one of the better wide angle kit lenses by any manufacturer, and the 50-200, while much maligned at times (usually because of comparisons with its big brother....the 55-300) is one of the smallest and lightest lenses (great for traveling!) of that focal length and takes nice sharp pictures within certain aperture ranges.

- The 50-200 WR (and has supposedly marginally better IQ than the standard version) is weather sealed like the K5 body. If you think that might be an issue while shooting shots of the city you mentioned......I would save up and get that deal!!! I don't think you will find it a waste of your money for things not used. Many of the benefits are just inherent differences to enjoy. About the only thing that is "better" about the K-r is the size and weight......but many like a bigger camera anyway. Oh, and I really like the one very unique feature of the K-r....the ability to use AA or lithium brick. But even that is offset by the ability of the K5 to use a grip.

Last edited by ccd333; 04-04-2012 at 11:48 AM.
04-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #3

....oh, I didn't see the f2.4 35mm Pentax lens with the Tamron kit. That might be a better value overall then of the two K-r kits. You might really like that lens in the lower light areas of the city! If it were me, though.....and you are going to spend over a thousand dollars anyway......get the K5! It might be the best value of ANY DSLR.
04-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ccd333 Quote
If it were me, though.....and you are going to spend over a thousand dollars anyway......get the K5! It might be the best value of ANY DSLR.
+1, if you can afford it, go straight to the K-5, you won't feel like looking back.

If you go with one of these K-r kits, I'd suggest finding one with the 55-300mm lens, instead of the 50-200. In addition to the extra reach, it's a bit better optically. The DA 35mm f./2.4 is fantastic for its price, but you can get one used on the forum here for about $130-140. New, maybe $160. Better to get it separately, unless you're getting one of the colourful K-rs with a matching coloured 35mm lens.

Also, be sure to buy from an authorized Pentax dealer, both for your own safety in actually getting the product(s) in good condition, and not wasting your time on upsell scams, but also to be sure you have warranty support in future.

04-04-2012, 03:33 PM   #5

Nesavi,

First off I'm not an expert on this matter, and secondly I'm not sure of pricing wherever you're at, but after you consider those two facts let me say...

1) If I was looking at the second of the two choices here in the USA, I would expect to be paying about $700 if the kit was new or less if it was used, and those numbers are probably high, considering it's a discontinued item.

2) For just a relatively little more money, spec wise (I don't know these lenses) the first kit is probably a better lens kit, and the pictures appear to show a case and small memory card with it making it an even better deal if you don't already have those items.

3) The K-5 deal is probably the best and would probably make you the happiest, IF it's truly within your budget.

They're both nice cameras - hope that helps.

Mike
04-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
I have the Tamron lens your talking about. For me it is a great lens and i use it instead of the kit lenses and it only cost me a little over $200. The only problem i have had with it is if i tilt the camera down the lens will zoom out on its own. This is were i got mine from Tamron Lens - Tamron A14 AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) - Pentax Mount
04-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies. Since posting I have become torn between the K-r and K-5. I have also considered Nikon D3100 (dont mock me :-) ), but I am leaning towards the K-5, if only because I like the weather proofing it offers. The value for money seems to outstrip the offerings of other brands. Still looking for reasonably priced fast prime lenses.

Regarding the prices I poster, well, I live in Denmark. Prices seem to be pretty uniform across the EU. US prices are quite a lot better at the moment, but importing does not pay since I will have to pay taxes etc.

04-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesavi Quote
Thanks for all the replies. Since posting I have become torn between the K-r and K-5. I have also considered Nikon D3100 (dont mock me :-) ), but I am leaning towards the K-5, if only because I like the weather proofing it offers. The value for money seems to outstrip the offerings of other brands. Still looking for reasonably priced fast prime lenses.

Regarding the prices I poster, well, I live in Denmark. Prices seem to be pretty uniform across the EU. US prices are quite a lot better at the moment, but importing does not pay since I will have to pay taxes etc.
You might want to PM PentaxForums user Zafar Iqbal... he's also in Denmark but seems to have his finger on the best prices for various Pentax gear, and where to get it.
04-10-2012, 03:35 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In the UK i have seen the K-r being offered at £235.97 for the white kit and £243.97 for the red kit , at the same store they are still have the black kit for £399.95 so the prices are starting to fall i consider this to be a massive bargain.
Digital SLR Cameras from Dixons. Great prices on Digital SLR Cameras
04-11-2012, 03:38 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Malfunction Quote
In the UK i have seen the K-r being offered at £235.97 for the white kit and £243.97 for the red kit , at the same store they are still have the black kit for £399.95 so the prices are starting to fall i consider this to be a massive bargain.
Those are indeed spectacular offers. And it seems that they deliver to Denmark as well. I have had trouble finding a UK vendor that does that.
04-11-2012, 06:33 AM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesavi Quote
Those are indeed spectacular offers. And it seems that they deliver to Denmark as well. I have had trouble finding a UK vendor that does that.
Just had a look at the site again and checked two other shops in their group and they are all out of stock at the moment , no surprise at the prices they were selling them for , but they still have them up on the site so check back to see if they get them in again.

PENTAX Digital SLR Cameras - PENTAX Digital SLR Cameras | Pcworld

PENTAX Digital SLR Cameras Buy online | Currys

Argos have the black Pentax K-r kit at £394.72 ARGOS
04-11-2012, 06:52 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Malfunction Quote
Just had a look at the site again and checked two other shops in their group and they are all out of stock at the moment , no surprise at the prices they were selling them for , but they still have them up on the site so check back to see if they get them in again.

PENTAX Digital SLR Cameras - PENTAX Digital SLR Cameras | Pcworld

PENTAX Digital SLR Cameras Buy online | Currys

Argos have the black Pentax K-r kit at £394.72 ARGOS
It seems that those vendors only deliver to the UK :-(
04-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Some of us live in countries where the prices just aren't that great, not much we can do about it (short of driving to another country and buying there). Which should you get? Depends on what kind of photographer you are. The Pentax two-lens kit is great for learning and getting into photography and the 35mm f2.4 is basically the next lens you should get (its a good prime and very cheap) and after that maybe a 50mm. Keep in mind that with Pentax you can also use a lot of old lenses, so you might think about buying the body and getting an older 50mm f2 or f1.7.
Of those two offerings I would recommend the second one and then you buy the primes for the focal lengths you use the most. Or try finding a kit with the 55-300 instead of the 50-200. Good luck.
You seem to have put some thought into this and appear to be serious about photography, so I would suggest you avoid superzooms and get primes as soon as you can, with maybe a shorter-range zoom for convenience.
04-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Some of us live in countries where the prices just aren't that great, not much we can do about it (short of driving to another country and buying there). Which should you get? Depends on what kind of photographer you are. The Pentax two-lens kit is great for learning and getting into photography and the 35mm f2.4 is basically the next lens you should get (its a good prime and very cheap) and after that maybe a 50mm. Keep in mind that with Pentax you can also use a lot of old lenses, so you might think about buying the body and getting an older 50mm f2 or f1.7.
Of those two offerings I would recommend the second one and then you buy the primes for the focal lengths you use the most. Or try finding a kit with the 55-300 instead of the 50-200. Good luck.
You seem to have put some thought into this and appear to be serious about photography, so I would suggest you avoid superzooms and get primes as soon as you can, with maybe a shorter-range zoom for convenience.
Good info! I bought my K-r July 2010 ,my first DSLR , knew nothing about photography , i had only used a digital P/S before , if i knew then what i know now ,
i would have just purchased a body and bought a few second hand lenses , until i could afford to buy prime lenses , i wouldn't be without my 55-300 though!

Another good tip would to read the lens reviews on here , its invaluable and will save you from buying lenses that are just not up to the job!
04-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #15

+1 on checking out the Lens Reviews section. I did a lot of research there recently and it is a great resource.

I just purchased a lens from a forum member in this site's marketplace for a great price and had a great experience, so you should check out that area as well.

I have the K-r with the 18-55 and 50-200. Both are decent lenses and the K-r is phenomenal as an entry level dSLR. I just bought a used DA 18-250 superzoom to replace the kit lenses. I like superzooms as I'm just a hobby photog and prefer the flexibility of a single lens. But you have to decide what is important to you and how serious you will get.