Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Camera Modes

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I know there is a lot of talk between Jpeg and Raw, and my understanding you get more information from Raw. but when using manual mode what do most people use is it AP or SP or Manual.

any advice would be grateful.

Thanks

04-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

AP, SP, you mean Av, Sv?
I use manual all the time and use the green button like Av on demand.
Can't give you any advice though, everyone shoots differently, you need to find out what works for you.
04-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Assuming you mean the exposure modes, they're like this:

* P(rogram): The camera sets the exposure. You can adjust shutter or aperture by spinning the e-dial. (*)
* Sv - sensitivity priority: You pick an ISO level, the camera does the rest.
* Tv - shutter priority: You pick a shutter speed, the camera does the rest. (*)
* Av - aperture priority: You set the aperture, the camera does the rest. (*)
* M (hyper-manual): Set the ISO level and press the Green button. The camera sets the exposure. You can adjust shutter or aperture as needed.
* B(ulb): Set the ISO and aperture. Hold the shutter down as long as desired. No automation at all.
* X - flash X-sync: Camera sets the shutter to 180th second. You set the aperture and ISO. Otherwise, no automation.

(*) - These modes depend on the ISO range you have set.

All this is explained in your camera manual. RTFM. Again.

As @Anvh said, usage of modes depends on personal preferences, also on what types of lenses are used. You get the most flexible options with an A-type or AF lens. With other lenses, you're pretty much limited to Av (all Auto modes will default to Av), M, B, and X.

Some people use M all the time, with all lenses. I mostly use P (if I'm in a hurry with A/AF lenses), Av (if I'm in a hurry with other lenses), or M (if I'm not in a hurry). I'll use X without a flash if I want that fixed-shutter challenge. But it mostly depends on need and mood.
04-07-2012, 11:06 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for your help

04-07-2012, 11:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I make myself use full manual a lot simply because I feel I need to do that to keep my learning curve thing going where it should. It's not always convenient though when I am chasing a quick animal like a bird. I kind of like AV sometimes. I'm good with ISO and aperture most of the time but I still hesitate sometimes on shutter speed even with having done the internship to semi-pro thing, reading all the right books etc. There's something about selecting the right shutter speed that can mess me up.

I even carry cheat sheets I made up but I can't always remember the right speed for what situation for some reason. Aperture, iso, usually no problem but shutter speed I have to check myself twice sometimes. I don't have a problem with trying out program modes at all though. I don't really think it's unprofessional to use them if I am in a hurry. I mean that is what they are there for.

I think it's always better if you have the time to do it yourself. You learn more that way and eventually you end up doing a better job than the camera's program modes anyhow. But if I am sitting there and an eagle flies up and I realize I've got like 20 secs max MAYBE to get my shot? I don't hesitate to put my camera on full auto and go for it! I'm not much into completely missing a decent shot in search of the totally perfect one. Sometimes you just have to wing it. I like doing everything and when I have the time I will, but now and again those set modes do come in very handy....

Last edited by magkelly; 04-07-2012 at 11:45 PM.
04-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for your thoughts

With a wedding coming up, winging it might be the correct option, but will try and get use to the AV before the big day. other wise full auto will probably get me out of trouble, on the lens side I am going for the Tamron 18 - 270 to cover most of my work and a decent flash.
04-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
cheat sheets

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I make myself use full manual a lot simply because I feel I need to do that to keep my learning curve thing going where it should. It's not always convenient though when I am chasing a quick animal like a bird. I kind of like AV sometimes. I'm good with ISO and aperture most of the time but I still hesitate sometimes on shutter speed even with having done the internship to semi-pro thing, reading all the right books etc. There's something about selecting the right shutter speed that can mess me up.

I even carry cheat sheets I made up but I can't always remember the right speed for what situation for some reason. Aperture, iso, usually no problem but shutter speed I have to check myself twice sometimes. I don't have a problem with trying out program modes at all though. I don't really think it's unprofessional to use them if I am in a hurry. I mean that is what they are there for.

I think it's always better if you have the time to do it yourself. You learn more that way and eventually you end up doing a better job than the camera's program modes anyhow. But if I am sitting there and an eagle flies up and I realize I've got like 20 secs max MAYBE to get my shot? I don't hesitate to put my camera on full auto and go for it! I'm not much into completely missing a decent shot in search of the totally perfect one. Sometimes you just have to wing it. I like doing everything and when I have the time I will, but now and again those set modes do come in very handy....
Are there cheat sheets out here to be used,as this would speed up my learning curve dramatically

04-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I made my own notes actually from several books, my own experience, listening to my teachers. One thing I did find very helpful was this little manual computer thing in this book.

KODAK MASTER PHOTO GUIDE | eBay

It's an old book but it's a goodie. I have a couple of different ones but this is the best one I think. Very helpful little book even though it's not meant for digital cameras. This particular guide is in with my filters and my cheat sheets when I go shooting. I never leave it behind.
04-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
I have had a copy since 1976, and yes it is still in my camera bag. The only problem is it was published when ASA (ISO) 200 film was incredibly fast. I've found a fixed ISO of 400 to be good for most shots on my K-r. Fortunately I can typically do the exposure conversions in my head. With the ability to shift white balance electronically and control contrast and saturation in software, about the only filter I still bother with is a polarizer, and I don't use it very often.
04-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shoot almost everything in AV because I shoot mostly landscape and nature. Most lenses have a sweet spot... and a lot of the time it's f 5.6 or f8. SO I set that and let the camera determine the speed. Where speed is important TAV is cool, for indoor I set my shutter speed and aperture, so say 2.8 and 1/60, and let the camera select the ISO. Adjustments are made using the histograms and the EV button to over or under expose. A lot of the time I also use the same tripod sets at 2 f-stop intervals from wide open to F-32. It's amazing how many times the image I like is not taken with the settings I would have selected on the fly. Usually for me though it's AV F5.6 or F8 and possibly F 11 and 22 just to see what works best. Sure I'm often selecting between 5 stops settings x EV -1, 0 and +1 for 15 exposures to get one picture. But when I'm done I have a better idea of where I want to start, next time I have a similar scene. The F 5.6 sharpness gets to be addictive after a while.
07-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply, I am going to a party this weekend and would like to know the best lens to use and settings on my KR? Thanks Martin