Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2012, 08:24 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
kr bracketing

I know on the kr i can do the auto hdr but is there a way to take pictures so i can create and edit my own hdr?

04-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

If it's the same as the K5 there should be brackting next to the other shutter modes, so in the menu where you can chose continues, single, remote, ect.
04-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #3

You could use Exposure Bracketing which allows you to take 3 shots at different exposures.You can also set the order and the steps. Page 118 of the Kr Operating Manual explains it.
04-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you all for your help! I will try your suggestions and let you know how it goes. I really appreciate your help!

04-08-2012, 12:15 AM   #5

Original Poster
it worked!!! Thank you so much!!!
10-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
It's a shame not to be able to do this without having to touch the shutter button 3 times.
With the remote control is not possible.

Does anyone know how to get around this?
To make a perfect hdr photo from 3 exposures is not supposed to have any camera shake.

Regards
10-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

There is with the K5.
one press bracketing it's called i believe and the option is in the custom menu.

No idea if the Kr can and where it might be located.
10-20-2012, 09:01 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nfaustino Quote
It's a shame not to be able to do this without having to touch the shutter button 3 times.
With the remote control is not possible.

Does anyone know how to get around this?
To make a perfect hdr photo from 3 exposures is not supposed to have any camera shake.

Regards
I don't think there's any way to do it automatically. The K-r doesn't have the one-push mode like the expensive cameras have, and you have to either choose exposure bracketing or remote, you can't do them at the same time. So tmany forces oppose you.

Manually, you could use a remote and exposure compensation to avoid shake. Take a shot with no compensation, then when the camera's done, set compensation to -2.0 or whatever value works, take another shot with the remote, then +2.0. You can take 5 shots this way too. Remember, exposure compensation affects different parameters in different modes; make sure your mode keeps the correct values fixed. I like Av because it doesn't change aperture, so the depth of field is the same.

10-21-2012, 05:26 AM   #9

Hello
Thanks for these tips. It's what I'll do.
But I think that is something that a new version of firmware could fix ..

Regards
10-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #10

Bballbum1642 - If you look at Page 120 of the K-R Manual, under item 6 it says, "Press the shutter release button fully. Continue to press the shutter release button until 3 images are captured."

That appears to indicate that it does fire the 3 shots 'automatically' if the shutter button is held down. Perhaps if you used a very firm tripod, and applied a constant pressure to the shutter button as it fires, camera movement would be minimised.

While Googling-around about the similarly woeful AEB "alleged-functions" on my K30, I think I recall seeing that the K-R - like the K30 - has a checkbox "Align" option for AEB in the Menu settings. If it does, that would help.

Why Pentax has - as mentioned elsewhere - "crippled" the bracketing functions in the K30 - and K-R - is peculiar. After all - Bridge Cameras - from my 2008 Canon SX10 to my 2010 Fuji HS10 - allow use of Timer (customisable from 2 to 30 seconds in the SX10) - with AEB. Or in the SX10's case - Timer with Focus-Bracketing, which the K30 and K-R don't have. Handheld - you can use Shake Reduction along with Timer for Bracketing.

It's NOT as if there's some contrary function in DSLRs that prevents Timer being used with Bracketing.... In the Manual for Canon's new 650D / T4i - same body-only price as the K30 here - it makes a point of telling the User to use the Timer with Bracketing.

Canon 650D Manual, Page 120

Perhaps Pentax needs to consult with competent software makers about re-organising the functions Menus - as far as I can research, it isn't usual in any Brand of Midrange P&S, Bridge Camera P&S, or DSLRs - to place Bracketing, Timer and IS / Shake Reduction, ALL on ONE Menu Bar - so that only one can be used at a time.

What might be possible - is something like the "unofficial" CHDK 'hack' for Canon cameras - which adds or enables functions the maker hasn't thought fit to apply or enable.

Regards, Dave.
10-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #11

Hi exwintech.
The checkbox "Align" option is for in camera HDR function.

One thing I learned from your post: the k-r fires the 3 shots 'automatically' if the shutter button is held down, in bracketing mode.

Already quite useful but not ideal!
Thanks.
10-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #12

Let's see your results!
10-23-2012, 09:42 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thank you for your responses!
10-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #14

I was going save you just hold it down, but you've already got there. If you have a decent tripod it works pretty well, I haven't had any issues anyway.
Here is an example:
The Pinnacle HDR