Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
rear mount broke & replacement

today i bought a new pack sack for my gear. I didn't have it zipped up correctly and dropped my camera. K-r i had the kit 18-55 mm on the camera and it broke, the rear mount broke off an a there is a crack in the part that is still attached. 2 part question - will it be repairable, or should i just replace it? (cost effective)
when i went to the store broken hearted they sold me a da 16-45 f/4 ED AL , - will i be happy with this lens? is it a decent lens? thank you

04-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The DA 16-45 is a much better lens than the 18-55. I doubt you would be disappointed.

The 18-55 is probably not worth repairing. You can get a used one on this forum for $50-60. Please make sure there aren't any small broken bits rattling around inside the camera.
04-07-2012, 08:25 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
The DA 16-45 is a much better lens than the 18-55. I doubt you would be disappointed.

The 18-55 is probably not worth repairing. You can get a used one on this forum for $50-60. Please make sure there aren't any small broken bits rattling around inside the camera.
thank you - i don't see anything in my camera. i have a question about the new lens - it came wih a hood, why in some of my photos am i getting shadows? I hope it is the hood, and not the camera from the fall.
I also posted a wanted for a replacement 18-55. (i still loved it) :-)

Last edited by tweet25; 04-07-2012 at 08:32 PM.
04-08-2012, 12:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

It might be best to post a shot showing the shadowing/vignetting. I'm not sure if the stock hood for that lens is known to cause vignetting, but it's a common concern with wider lenses.

Sorry for your luck with that pack. If your camera body is OK, you got off lucky though. The kit lens isn't a huge loss. I've seen them in the marketplace forum as low as $40.

04-08-2012, 07:05 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
It might be best to post a shot showing the shadowing/vignetting. I'm not sure if the stock hood for that lens is known to cause vignetting, but it's a common concern with wider lenses.

Sorry for your luck with that pack. If your camera body is OK, you got off lucky though. The kit lens isn't a huge loss. I've seen them in the marketplace forum as low as $40.
Thank you- yes it is a stock hood - and this is just one quick snap where it shows.. I hope it isn't the camera. The lady at the store told me not to take the hood off. ??? i am looking for a used lens on the forum now.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
04-08-2012, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Looks like typical vignetting, nothing to worry about. It should go away as you go a bit past the 16mm end of its range. It's probably perfectly normal, and I only say probably because I don't own that lens.

And yeah, the shadow in the bottom center looks like it was cast by the hood, by your flash. That's pretty common, too. Wide angle hoods and pop-up flash don't do well together, even some external ones don't have the height to properly clear the hood.

If in doubt, remove the hood and reproduce the shot. It should be clear by that.
04-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #7

Original Poster
thank you all so much! I took your advice took some photos outside, learning the feel of the new lens. Bought a 18-55 kit lens on the forum for 61.00 (shipping included) very excited to get that sometime soon.

04-11-2012, 11:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check page 179 of the (English) K-r manual; subject 'lens compatibility with the built-in flash'
04-12-2012, 01:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
remove the hood if you are using internal flash
the hood is blocking the light.
04-12-2012, 08:01 AM   #10
Pentaxian

As said above, the hood is blocking the light. Wide angle photos with the built in flash are an exception to "hood always on". The top of the hood casts a shadow by blocking light from the flash. Nothing is wrong with the lens. You can remove hood when using the built-in flash.

Hoods reduce glare from lighting that's out of frame. For example, the sun might be out of the frame but still shining on the front glass. That light gets into the lens and bounces around, which can reduce contrast and/or cause visible reflections in the photo. A hood also helps keep the front glass clean and might protect a lens from damage if dropped.

So, it's a good habit to keep the hood on whenever practical. The built-in flash is an exception for some lens/hood combinations. Hoods may also have to be removed to fit into a camera bag.
04-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Check page 179 of the (English) K-r manual; subject 'lens compatibility with the built-in flash'
thank you -