Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hm, I find it odd that superzooms would be considered "walkaround." The only time I would think of a superzoom is maybe if you go on a long vacation and can only bring one lens, but will be seeing a lot of different sights. When I walk around the city I often have my DA 35mm f2.4. I have the DA L 50-200 with me most of the time just in case, but rarely use it. Usually I plan in advance what situations I will be in and what kind of shots I will be taking. To each their own, though. However, if you bought the K-r with a kit lens, you might want to think about just adding the other kit lens (the DA 55-300mm for example). That way you still have the whole range covered.
To me, the whole point of a DSLR is to have multiple good lenses that you can exchange for the desired effect and focal length. But Im not trying to discourage anyone. From the first two options I would choose the Sigma because it is wider.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 04-12-2012 at 09:45 AM.
04-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #17
Veteran Member

What makes a good walk around lens is so totally subjective, and dependent on what someone likes to shoot. Nine times out of ten, my 70-300 is perfect - for me - but I can see how 70mm would be much too restrictive for a lot of people.
04-12-2012, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
DA21 ltd + DA70 ltd is the perfect travel and street and everyday life combo. One on the camera, one in the pocket. Beats most zooms in optical quality and weight/size. And those they don't beat is going to be the more heavy and expensive anyway. I just have to be careful to remember removing the pocketed lens before throwing the trousers into the washing machine...
04-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #19

Original Poster
The whole point of a walk around lens to me is to be able to shoot multiple situations without the need to change lenses. That is just my preference as it is sometimes inconvenient to change lenses.

04-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
The DA18-250 is my drivearound lens, and walkaround for strange places.
QuoteOriginally posted by speedtrap63 Quote
Looked at this and it appears to be discontinued. I will check to see where I can find it used and price.
The DA18-250 and its Tamron twin are pretty widely available used. Even used, they aren't cheap, because they are desired, because they are good. They're well worth seeking.

My prior comment was a bit concise. As some others mention, we may have different notions of what makes a good walkaround. My walkaround zooms also include the Vivitar-Cosina Series 1 19-35 (MF), the F35-70, or some 70-210 (MF), depending on the spaces I expect. Other walkarounds, for familiar locales I wish to explore in different ways, may include slow or fast primes between 21-105mm, maybe via my LOTD (lens-of-the-day) strategy. Sometimes my walkaround kit are my ultralights, tiny slow primes, total weight under 450g / 16oz. It all depends.

But the DA18-250 is the most flexible. I can quickly change from a wide context shot to a distant detail without swapping lenses, without missing shots. The IQ of a missed shot is zero.
04-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #21
Pentaxian

My current walk-aound ... flavor of the month

... My walkaround zooms also include the Vivitar-Cosina Series 1 19-35 (MF), the F35-70, or some 70-210 (MF), depending on the spaces I expect. ... It all depends. ... The IQ of a missed shot is zero.
Re-Bonjour,

My current favorite "walk-around" is also a F 35-70 that I picked up about three weeks ago ... I go through phases and it depends also where I'm going ... as mentioned previously, it's a very personal and obviously a subjective choice ... just one lens, a combo of primes, etc. ... But, Rico is more than likely right about the Pentax 18-250 and its Tamron twin ... a good option.

Salut et bon courage, J Frog
04-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
DA21 ltd + DA70 ltd is the perfect travel and street and everyday life combo. One on the camera, one in the pocket. Beats most zooms in optical quality and weight/size... I just have to be careful to remember removing the pocketed lens before throwing the trousers into the washing machine...
There isn't one rule of walkaround, Douglas has one and the Tamron 18-250 proponents have another, both equally valid depending on what your priorities are.

My walkaround is often 1 zoom and 1 prime, e.g. Tamron 28-75 f2.8 and Pentax DA*21.

I used to have a Tamron 18-250 and gave it to my nephew to avoid its temptation . Things i didn't like about it: tends to unwind if you don't have the lock on it. And a bit heavy for what it is. Slow f stops of course. But i still have some fine shots from it.

04-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #23

Original Poster
The DA18-250 and its Tamron twin are pretty widely available used. Even used, they aren't cheap, because they are desired, because they are good. They're well worth seeking.

My prior comment was a bit concise. As some others mention, we may have different notions of what makes a good walkaround. My walkaround zooms also include the Vivitar-Cosina Series 1 19-35 (MF), the F35-70, or some 70-210 (MF), depending on the spaces I expect. Other walkarounds, for familiar locales I wish to explore in different ways, may include slow or fast primes between 21-105mm, maybe via my LOTD (lens-of-the-day) strategy. Sometimes my walkaround kit are my ultralights, tiny slow primes, total weight under 450g / 16oz. It all depends.

But the DA18-250 is the most flexible. I can quickly change from a wide context shot to a distant detail without swapping lenses, without missing shots. The IQ of a missed shot is zero.
I currently use a DA-L 50-200 to walkaround with and keep the 18-55 in the bag in case I need the wider angle. I'd like to be able to get a wider angle and a bit more length all in one if possible, so I really like the 18-250 option.

I found the 200 was just a bit short when I was shooting that show. By the way, I don't often shoot shows like that, it was only because I was assisting the actual photographer of record. Mine were mainly insurance shots. Came out quite nice too! I was a little nervous using such a high ISO, 3600 & 6400, I was expecting more noise. The K-r's noise reduction did great, though.

Thanks to everyone though for all the great information!
04-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by speedtrap63 Quote
The whole point of a walk around lens to me is to be able to shoot multiple situations without the need to change lenses. That is just my preference as it is sometimes inconvenient to change lenses.
This is the correct definition. Multiples lenses do not count, and going out for specific shots does not count :-)
04-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #25
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I have the Tamron 18-250 and have found it to be excellent for your stated purpose. It renders nice rich colors and is reasonably sharp and focuses fast and accurate. Small and light, it covers most bases very nicely!

It even shoots people pretty decently......
[IMG] [/IMG]

Love it for landscapes......in this one at full size you can make out the nail heads in the wood.
[IMG] [/IMG]
Regards!
04-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #26

I just returned from 2 week trip and my most used lens was DA 18-250. I did day hikes, where I needed lens for landscapes to wildlife and macro. In good light at least DA 18-250 is very capable lens, at F8-F10. There simply is not another kind of lens which does all this. But it's not too good in the corners and not at full aperture. So I would not use this lens in low light, especially the autofocusing is slow and the lens lacks the quick-shift. It is not too good over 200mm either. I complimented this lens with DA 35/2.4, which is very capable lens and this two lens kit is quite nice and light in the hikes like this. I also had Tamron 17-50/2.8+DA 55-300, but in good light I liked the DA 18-250 + DA 35/2.4 somewhat more. Whats best walkaround lens really depends where and how you travel. I wouldn't take DA 18-250 in the city or lower light walkaround, that would be most likely DA 35/2.4 or Tamron 17-50/2.8.
04-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #27
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
DA21 ltd + DA70 ltd is the perfect travel and street and everyday life combo. One on the camera, one in the pocket. Beats most zooms in optical quality and weight/size. And those they don't beat is going to be the more heavy and expensive anyway. I just have to be careful to remember removing the pocketed lens before throwing the trousers into the washing machine...
I agree with you on this although I like to have something in the middle of my 77 and 10-20 (though the gap is slightly wider). It is a pain that the 10-20 isn't pocketable but i need the super-wide and there are no smaller alternatives really.
04-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #28

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grog85361 Quote
I use the Tamron 18-200 for a walking around lens. I've been very happy with it. And, for $249 after rebate, what's not to like?
I also use this one. Got mine for a little over $200 from here. Tamron Lens - Tamron A14 AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) - Pentax Mount
04-12-2012, 05:31 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm with parsons for true walk-arounds: DA40, maybe with the DA21 in my pocket. Hard yards and cropping can take care of the rest. If you really want some tele, carry the FA77 in the other pocket.

Shooting live stage shows indoors is another matter altogether. I do a lot of this, and rely mainly on 17-50/2.8 and 70-200/2.8, both with hypersonic AF. I still carry a fast prime for when the lighting is really tough.
04-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #30

I have been using the Tamron 18-250mm lens for the past few months. It's quite heavy but it gives great flexibility for general use. It is better than needing to change from the 18-55 and the 50-200mm kit lenses. It also means less times the inner parts of the camera are exposed to dust and pollutants. I would go for the Sigma.