Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2012, 05:03 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by New Englander Quote
exif data is iso 400
I've noticed you use that for quite a few of the shots you posted, even when it isn't needed. It's not "wrong" by any stretch, but you will get noticeably less grain at ISO 100 or 200. Some people rather like grain in their photos, and that's fine, too. I tend to try to get out of focus areas as smooth as I can, because that's what I like. It's a lot easier for me to do that at ISO 100, and unless I need - really need - more, my camera stays there all the time now.

04-16-2012, 06:01 AM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
I've noticed you use that for quite a few of the shots you posted, even when it isn't needed. It's not "wrong" by any stretch, but you will get noticeably less grain at ISO 100 or 200. Some people rather like grain in their photos, and that's fine, too. I tend to try to get out of focus areas as smooth as I can, because that's what I like. It's a lot easier for me to do that at ISO 100, and unless I need - really need - more, my camera stays there all the time now.
Grain is different than out of focus. If anything you should be able to get better focus at higher ISO.....esp. for movement. I have ISO 3200 shots from my K-r that are still fairly smooth. ISO 400 is almost indiscernible from 200 and 100 with this sensor.
04-16-2012, 06:20 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't see a focus problem with any of those photos. You mentioned you used to have an ME Super film camera. Something to think about: All other things equal, regular 4x6 film prints will always look sharper, because you can't see the detail like you can with a big 14mp digital file viewed full size on your screen. Odds are if you blew your film shots up as large as looking at a digital file full size, you'd find plenty of problems with the film shots too.

Good news is, I don't think there's anything wrong with your camera. If you're dissatisfied with your K-r, odds are you'd be dissatisfied with any DSLR, regardless of model, brand, or price. The K-r is a great camera, capable of taking superb images. You just have to learn to exploit it to it's full potential.

QuoteOriginally posted by ccd333 Quote
Grain is different than out of focus. If anything you should be able to get better focus at higher ISO.....esp. for movement. I have ISO 3200 shots from my K-r that are still fairly smooth. ISO 400 is almost indiscernible from 200 and 100 with this sensor.
Agreed.

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)

Last edited by GibbyTheMole; 04-16-2012 at 06:31 AM.
04-16-2012, 06:26 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Grain is different than out of focus.
Yes, it is, but when someone is looking for problems, it can be mistaken for softness/blur.

ISO 400 is almost indiscernible from 200 and 100 with this sensor.
I strongly disagree, when looking at 1:1 crops anyway, and particularly when looking at smooth gradient areas. I can see a textural difference between ISO 100 and 200, and 400 is a bit more pronounced. It's fine, if that's what you want. I wasn't judging, I was suggesting yet another angle he could experiment with.

If you're scaling down for web, it isn't going to make much difference, particularly on complex scenes. OoF/Bokeh areas, it will be a bit more noticeable.