Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #1

Guess I'm selling my Kr

Many fruitless months of blurry/soft images. I see pics of what others have posted and mine are not
in that realm at all. My colors are great. Images - NOT. Close ups, portraits, landscapes...none are sharp.
Have adjusted the fine focus +/- to no avail.
Using the 18-135 lens. Sent it to Pentax, "within specifications". Can't afford to buy another lens to see if
it IS the issue so put my old manual focus Tokina on the Kr with same results which makes me think it's not
the lens.
I have an older Fuji finepix point & shoot with NO image stabilization and images are just as good. I'm serious,
not just throwing that out there because I'm frustrated. They really are just as good. So I don't see a need to
continue down a rocky road that cannot be graded smooth with my Kr. Summer is coming and I want to get
"out there" and take some nice shots.

Trade up to the K5? Or go "somewhere else".....

04-15-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
gtl
Veteran Member

I am no expert but maybe you could post some pictures for the members to see whats possibly wrong with your camera?
04-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, post some examples with the exif intact. Without pictures and the parameters involved it is impossible to determine what is wrong.
04-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #4

Original Poster
I did that a few months ago. Followed everyone's advice. No change. Everyone has been very helpful but nothing seems to work.

04-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm really not sure what the point of this topic is. Are we supposed to try to convince you not to sell? Or are you just looking for somewhere to vent?

It seems counter productive to vent about how horrible your camera is that you're going to sell it, when this very forum would probably be the best place to sell it.

OP posted pictures here and here. I think what he calls soft is merely outside the DoF for the shot. He's comparing this to a tiny sensored P&S, which will have massive depth of field, so he's used to everything being in focus. The irony is that a lot of us moved on from P&S to, at least in part, get away from that massive depth of field, and the impossibility of subject isolation.
04-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Sorry you are not happy. Given the pics you posted I'm not sure you'll be happy with a K-5 either. Perhaps a really nice P&S with lots of options like RAW would suit you best?
04-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sounds like its a camera issue.
Though did you send your camera in with the lens to get calibrated?

If not then I'd suggest printing off a focus chart and running some simple tests to see if your camera isn't front of back focusing. At which point, you might be able to fix or adjust it using a small utility(PK Tether) quite easily.

Though as many other people have mentioned here.
Without images, it will likely be impossible to help identify where the cause of you're issue.

Whatever the case, I'd strongly suggest you get to the bottom of it before moving on. Otherwise, you might find yourself in the exact same boat with another unit.

04-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I too would second the notion that it appears to be more of a body issue. I would bundle up both the body and lens and send them into Pentax, especially in that it appears the warranty period is still active. I would ask them to set up both the body and lens, however you want the body to be able to work with any standard K mount lens.

04-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by New Englander Quote
I did that a few months ago. Followed everyone's advice. No change. Everyone has been very helpful but nothing seems to work.
I wonder if you tried ChrisJ's suggestion in your original thread......his post was on page 2 and the suggestion I'm referring to is taking off all the filters. I know I tried the same polarizer I always used on my *istDL with my new K-r and I couldn't get a clear shot. It was almost always a bit fuzzy. Switched to a UV filter and it was perfect......but I was prepared to go sans ANY filter as he suggested.

If you didn't do this, then it might be worth trying.
04-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #10

Original Poster
Have taken the filter off, using none.
04-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

If it runs on 4 AA batts sell me the body cheap. I'll use it for diffusion shots. PM me if it is cheap. Can pay paypal right away.
04-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #12

Original Poster
I really wonder if it's the lens sometimes. Reviews of the 18-135 are hit and miss. Some praise it,
while others really panned it as poor iq.
04-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #13

Buy a cheap m series 50mm f1.7? If it's still soft, it has to be the camera lol.
04-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by New Englander Quote
I really wonder if it's the lens sometimes. Reviews of the 18-135 are hit and miss. Some praise it,
while others really panned it as poor iq.
I thought you had tried it with some MF lenses as well. If they are not sharp either than it is something other than the 18-135.
04-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #15

Original Poster
Good point.