Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #1

Pentax Kr or not ???

Hi guys, pls help me out here. I am very very interested in getting the Pentax Kr which is my very first DSLR. i have seen the IQ by browsing through flickr and they are brilliant. But 2 major concern now holding me back from getting is ....

1) How is the IQ after posted in facebook? (does the colour fade?) almost all of my photos taken will be uploaded to facebook so the IQ of photos taken by pentax kr in facebook means very much to me.

2) Hardware durability.
I have seen quite a few hardware problem such as "shutter not working" , ''wireless triggger issue''.........
Can these be solved by firmware update ? and are they problems for only isolated units or everyone experience the same thing ??

If possible, anyone who using Pentax Kr don't mind showing me their photos (without any Post Processing) in facebook....plssssssss as i have been really very headache of this undecided state. Please help me out..thanks guys !!!(I will promise i won't abuse your social network through facebook in any means)

04-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi, suoersta, My first DSLR was also a Kr, I loved it. I pushed it to the limits in about 4 months and got myself a k7(Low ISO performance compared to the kr) to be honest almost all of my keeper shots are from the k-r. The k-r is arguably the best entry level camera in the market right now, Indeed the kr's IQ is top notch.

FB IQ. no matter what camera you're using, even if it's a full frame Canik camera, FB will diminish its IQ, FB loves to smash any kind of picture that you upload into it.

Hardware durability. Never had any problems with mine. 9 out of 10 people are very happy with their Kr.

Add me on facebook and check my gallery out.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Last edited by kaiserz; 04-15-2012 at 08:34 PM.
04-16-2012, 12:34 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hey Kaiserz, Thanks very very much for your help !! i have added you in facebook, waiting for your permission. I will go through your album tonight as i have classes now. Once again, sincerely thanks !
04-16-2012, 12:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

the IQ on facebook is totally dependent upon the way facebook downscales your images, independent of camera

the K-r is capable of very capable pictures the only main issue with K-r is the tungsten light issue (which i dont think there is a fix for yet via firmware?) but you can get around it via live view and/or changing WB

04-16-2012, 06:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

suoersta, I'm just going to assume that you're the guy with the canon camera who added me on FB. Also on a side note, I've noticed that if the pictures that I upload were Straight out of the camera(SOOC) they retain the IQ much more vs the one I PP.
04-16-2012, 07:09 AM   #6

Original Poster
Hey Kaiserz , yea, that's me ! that is my cousin's DSLR. From what you telling me, do you simply mean that those photos withou PP are much better than those which you have PP-ed in facebook ?? Mine profile picture is a sample of CANON 550D which is the colour, sharpness and overall IQ is consider acceptable IN FACEBOOK to me. Do you think Pentax Kr can simply perform that well if not better ? (i mean in facebook)
Would you please tell me which is the album by pentax Kr ??
04-16-2012, 07:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Go online on facebook so we can chat. almost 85% are from the k-r

04-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

22k photos later, I have not a single regret about buying my K-r. It's a great camera, and its specs eclipse those of the 550D, for stills anyway. The IQ it's capable of is amazing, but one has to pay attention to all the other limiting factors, too. Choice of lenses will have a big impact on results, probably moreso than comparing different camera bodies. As for FB, it's entirely dependent on how badly the site butchers what you upload. This isn't something limited by the camera, at all, it's about the site you upload your images to. If they have a size limit (never used FB, and don't plan to, so IDK the details of it) and you can edit your shots to come in under that limit, hopefully it won't alter them too much. Crappy sites will resize and recompress everything regardless of posted limits. You'll just have to experiment.

If you're happy with the uploaded results with your Canon, you'll be able to do the same thing or better with the K-r, easily.
04-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #9

Original Poster
Hi Philoslothical, thanks for your comment . However, have you ever experience any hardware issue ??
04-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Nope, no problems yet. I'll have had it a year in June. It's a good camera, well built, no reason to expect issues with it any more than any other electronic product.
04-16-2012, 02:44 PM   #11

New to the forum. Looking to buy a new K-r. Found the black version at Walmart.com for $699. The colored versions of the K-r are only $599 at Walmart.com now, too. Just found the black version at Costco.com for $599 and that includes a tripod and tripod case. All deals include kit lenses. Pretty good deals to be found.
04-16-2012, 08:00 PM   #12

Original Poster
Hey scotrk, do you have any sample photos taken by pentax kr in facebook mind show them to me ??
04-16-2012, 11:45 PM   #13

testing the k-r | Facebook

here's a few of mine
04-17-2012, 12:06 AM   #14

Photos: Albums
I've had my K-r for over a year and despite the tungsten problem its been a pretty reliable shooter. FB pictures any camera will do, as stated above. I mainly shoot with the da40, which used to be a great cheap lens. I am considering either moving to a d7000 or k-5 now, because I need moar camera
04-17-2012, 01:10 AM   #15

Original Poster
lonoise : Hey lonoise ,thanks very much for showing me !!! the colour sharpness are nice ! are they all without PP ??

Metalwizards: Hi Metalwizards, thanks very much for your comment. Just a few confirmation by looking at the photos in facebook, i will then be getting it. =)