Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Onboard Flash

Hey all. I have a K-r and am very happy with it. I used the onboard flash only once or twice, months ago, and recently I wanted to use it again, but it didn't work. When I pop-up the onboard flash and press the trigger button it won't flash and it won't even take a shot. I tried setting the flash to manual and auto, but neither mode made it fire. Are there some conditions that need to be met for the flash to fire? Does it just need a lot of time and a full battery to charge up? I don't know why it would stop working, the camera didn't sustain any bumps or anything. Some months ago I used a hotshoe mounted flash, could that have "fried" it or something?

04-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

my flash is broken too. I'm not sure how i did it.

i hate direct flash, and i only ever used it to trigger my metz remotely - now i have cactus V5s instead, so no harm done

don't know how to help but i would like to know other peoples responses
04-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I've heard of a couple failing, so it reasonably could be an issue requiring service. First thing I'd check is that it's raising properly, and that there's no debris in the hinge. Mine is really sensitive, if I'm wearing a hat or a hood and it so much as touches the raised flash, it doesn't fire. It has to be raised all the way or it's a no-go. Mine does take the shot anyway, so that may not be your issue. Do you have it set to shoot even when charging?
04-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Also, do you have your camera on a mode that does not fire the flash? Check this in your flash menu setting (down button on your 4 way controller). Or just reset all your settings and try again.

04-19-2012, 02:50 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies!
Yes, the flash menu is set to manual discharge in M mode and I also tried it in darkness in auto mode and it popped up on its own, but didnt fire. It pops up all the way.
I now set the camera such that it fires while charging. Now the camera takes the shot, but the flash still wont fire. How long does ti take to charge? A couple seconds or minutes? Unfortunately the camera is out of warranty and Im not sure I would spend money on fixing this.. it is rather inconvenient, though. Any other ideas?

Last edited by Na Horuk; 04-19-2012 at 03:17 AM.
04-19-2012, 04:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
How long does ti take to charge? A couple seconds or minutes?
Couple of seconds, maybe around 10; never measured it but definitely less than 0.5 minute.
04-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I had the same problem when I used to own a K-r. It was documented in the thread here: Flash won't fire

I ended up mailing it to Pentax Repair in Arizona (CRIS) and they said it was a faulty mainboard or something to that extent. It took them about 2 weeks to get the part and repair the camera. If you're still under warranty, I'd suggest sending it in.
04-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
I'd suggest sending it in.
Thanks for the link. Did they say this could cause other problems as well? Because it is out of warranty and i can make-do without flash..

04-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

It shouldn't cause any other problems, as long as the hotshoe is still functional so you can use an external flash.
04-19-2012, 02:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Nope, they didn't mention anything else. I pulled up the work order and this was what they listed:

QuoteQuote:
Repair Performed:
WARRANTY
REPLACED FLASH PCB
ADJUSTED TO MANUFACTURERS SPECIFICATIONS
GENERAL CHECK AND CLEAN
Before sending it in, I found that my hotshoe was still working, so I could use an external flash or wireless trigger. Anyhow, I'm glad I got it fixed under warranty as I think this would otherwise be a costly repair. I wouldn't be surprised if this issue is/was occurring with other K-r owners. The camera was definitely a black-eye on Pentax in terms of quality control. I'm glad to be rid of it.

Last edited by einstrigger; 04-19-2012 at 02:14 PM.
04-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks very much, everybody! I'll see what I can do about this.. probably I'll just not use the onboard flash lol
04-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

My flash also broke. I'm from Brazil, and then i can't do anything...there is no warranty here.
I bought an AF280T instead. It came defective too, but not completely. The seller quickly refunded me and thats about it...