Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2012, 09:39 PM   #1

K-R remote

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello, was wondering about the K-r remote that everybody keeps typing about instead of remote control F. That third-party remotes work well and no ones had trouble with them. I have 3 generic remotes that I have purchased on ebay for the fraction of the price of the control F.... but none of them worked on the K-r.

I have also looked at the manual and followed the steps. I don't know if they possibly sent me the remote wrong or it's me but changing the batteries didn't help.

Finally last Saturday I found an original remote control F at Blacks and did the same thing I tired with the other remotes. Guess what it worked. So all I'm saying is it might not be a good idea to buy more than one remote if the first one didn't work. (PS: contacted all the sellers reguarding the remote and assured me it was the right one... please use your own judgement)

Thank you and if I'm wrong about the third party remotes "My bad."

04-18-2012, 10:01 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's the generic one that people use- it works quite well

Jue Ying Remote Control RC-4 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-19-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I ordered a generic remote off eBay and after 4 weeks of waiting I found that they had sent me a remote for Canon! So I drove to supermarket and bought a small universal TV remote for EUR2.89. Actually I bought 2, one of which I will hack to make a "wired" remote.

After remote's autotune found the right code, it works great, CH+ autofocuses and CH- fires the shutter.

So my point is that if you happen to get a dud then help may be only 5 mins drive away
04-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #4

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought mine on fleabay for a coupe of bucks. It works well:

Photon Camera Remote Control for Pentax KR KX KM K7 K5 K20D K10D K200D K100D | eBay

bigted

04-24-2012, 05:07 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
I bought mine on fleabay for a coupe of bucks. It works well:

Photon Camera Remote Control for Pentax KR KX KM K7 K5 K20D K10D K200D K100D | eBay

bigted

+1 for that availible in Uk from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005FKPJ2O/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00
04-24-2012, 07:06 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Here is the same item for MUCH less via eBay. I've bought two and they worked fine (until I performed surgery on them ... another story). I have two more on order. I think I learned enough butchering the first two, that I can successfully alter the third one into a pseudo wired remote control. At US$1.65, including shipping, I can afford to destroy a couple in learning.

IR Infrared remote control for Pentax
04-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I bought a JJC 3rd party remote for my K200d a while ago.
It works fine to take the shot.
However, the "hold" functionality does not work. It only sends a short signal even if you hold it.
I wonder if any 3rd party remote works properly.

04-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
However, the "hold" functionality does not work. It only sends a short signal even if you hold it
The menu on my K-r offers two remote choices for bulb exposures - press & hold, or press twice. Unless I am doing a very short exposure, the press twice option works better anyhow. press to open the shutter, and press again to close it. It also saves battery power.
04-24-2012, 11:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Jim,

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
The menu on my K-r offers two remote choices for bulb exposures - press & hold, or press twice. Unless I am doing a very short exposure, the press twice option works better anyhow. press to open the shutter, and press again to close it. It also saves battery power.
Indeed. My K200D didn't have that option however.
04-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #10

I just received the RM-E7 (Thursday) from Amazon, pd $9.00 including shipping.
Does both shutter and focus on the Kr, it even actuated video.
Does everything I want except making me a sandwich.
04-29-2012, 04:46 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geru2000 Quote
I just received the RM-E7 from Amazon. Does both shutter and focus on the Kr, it even actuated video.
I am assuming it does both shutter and focus together because that is how your camera is set to respond to the release, and you are not claiming it can separately focus and release the shutter?

RM-E7
Attached Images

04-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I am assuming it does both shutter and focus together because that is how your camera is set to respond to the release, and you are not claiming it can separately focus and release the shutter?

RM-E7
If I press the W/T button it focuses without firing the shutter the S button then fires the shutter. (W/T - Focus no fire)

If instead I first press the S button it will focus then fire the shutter. (S - Focus then fire just like the shutter release button or fire if already focused with W/T)

So yes it can focus without firing the shutter or it reacts as the Kr's shutter release button does.
04-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by geru2000 Quote
If I press the W/T button it focuses without firing the shutter the S button then fires the shutter. (W/T - Focus no fire)

If instead I first press the S button it will focus then fire the shutter. (S - Focus then fire just like the shutter release button or fire if already focused with W/T)

So yes it can focus without firing the shutter or it reacts as the Kr's shutter release button does.

I have the same one and that's the way it works for me too.

Rodger
05-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #14

just curious... B&H sells the factory remote for $19.95; the exact unit that was designed for the K-r. If you're going to spend well in excess of $500 for your camera, why would you choose to go "cheap" on an accessory that may or may not work correctly? JMHO
05-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by azappraiser Quote
the exact unit that was designed for the K-r
You might be correct if there was such a beast. Actually, there is no IR remote unit designed specifically for the K-r. It is the other way around; the K-r was designed to use one of a couple models of Pentax's IR remotes. As it happens, there is nothing that special about Pentax's units versus 3rd party alternatives - other than costing several times the price of 3rd party units.

It is more than just semantics. It would be a duller world if you could only use Pentax lenses, flashes, filters, or other accessories with our Pentax cameras.