Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2012, 12:24 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
You'd think that the one-lens kit would be cheaper.
Yes
It shows $529 for me too.

Sometimes the Fry's website doesn't have the right prices. But the price is in their ad would prevail.

Same goes for store inventory, the online site is often wrong. Though typically it shows some items available when they are not. I have not really seen it the other way.
I am still going to try and see if I can get one this morning. It's worth a little driving - there are a lot of Fry's stores around.

04-20-2012, 01:40 AM   #17
Veteran Member

wow nice price, signs of something new coming :P would pick one up if i was over there!

let us know if anyone successfully gets it!
04-20-2012, 04:36 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Fock. This is damn tempting. Now I must decide whether to order one, and either make the 200mi round trip to Tucson, or hope they'll hold it in Sacramento for a couple weeks till I return to NorCal. (Sacramento is another 200mi / 320km round trip.) Or is it smarter to grab a K-01 with the much better sensor and 40XS lens? I need no kit lenses. I could maybe sell those for US$150 though, which makes the body damn cheap. Hmmm...

EDIT: I'm saved. Not available for Tucson; out of stock at Sacramento's. It's primitive out here in the boonies, at the border, obscure. Supplies are limited. 150mi / 240km to Trader Joes!! And to CostCo and other major suppliers. Weekly necessities are only a 60mi / 96km trip. Anyway, that's a long trip I won't take because there's no use. I'm saved!

Last edited by RioRico; 04-20-2012 at 04:52 AM.
04-20-2012, 05:22 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Fock. This is damn tempting. Now I must decide whether to order one, and either make the 200mi round trip to Tucson, or hope they'll hold it in Sacramento for a couple weeks till I return to NorCal. (Sacramento is another 200mi / 320km round trip.) Or is it smarter to grab a K-01 with the much better sensor and 40XS lens? I need no kit lenses. I could maybe sell those for US$150 though, which makes the body damn cheap. Hmmm...

EDIT: I'm saved. Not available for Tucson; out of stock at Sacramento's. It's primitive out here in the boonies, at the border, obscure. Supplies are limited. 150mi / 240km to Trader Joes!! And to CostCo and other major suppliers. Weekly necessities are only a 60mi / 96km trip. Anyway, that's a long trip I won't take because there's no use. I'm saved!
None available anywhere from the posts here and the few zip codes I entered into their database. I wonder where they are available (or were).

04-20-2012, 05:30 AM   #20

yep same with me. I get 0 available anywhere in California. Are you sure it is this week's new special Madbrain? Perhaps it was last weeks.

Or maybe it is just an error. I would have grabbed a friend and gone down to the Roseville store and picked up a couple of them. Actually she might have been interested in using one as a back up camera.
04-20-2012, 05:37 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Yes
It shows $529 for me too.

Sometimes the Fry's website doesn't have the right prices. But the price is in their ad would prevail.

Same goes for store inventory, the online site is often wrong. Though typically it shows some items available when they are not. I have not really seen it the other way.
I am still going to try and see if I can get one this morning. It's worth a little driving - there are a lot of Fry's stores around.
Hope you are able to find one. I might stop by a store to see if there are any.
04-20-2012, 06:22 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Drom,

QuoteOriginally posted by Drom Quote
yep same with me. I get 0 available anywhere in California. Are you sure it is this week's new special Madbrain? Perhaps it was last weeks.

Or maybe it is just an error. I would have grabbed a friend and gone down to the Roseville store and picked up a couple of them. Actually she might have been interested in using one as a back up camera.
I am 100% sure, I have been checking Fry's ads daily, been upgrading a lot of computer parts at home. This is the one for their coming week.
Not sure how much stock there really is, it is a blowout so probably not high. But this is the ad that they print in the paper, so you would expect they would at least have some, otherwise there is no point in advertising it. At those prices I wouldn't expect a lot. I just hope they are not all demo & open boxes.

I just discovered that the K-r can take an AA battery tray. And it has high ISO. So it might actually be a suitable replacement for my K200D body after all. I can leave without the weather sealing. If I am able to get one, I will sell my K200D & grip. And the 1 or 2 DA-L lenses that come with this K-r kit.

Last edited by madbrain; 04-20-2012 at 06:28 AM.
04-20-2012, 06:30 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

this looks like a demo and open box clear out to me (not much chance of a new one being there and I'll bet most stores were already sold out. the Sony prices were pretty good as well
Some stores may have Open Boxes but I bet most have only demos. the point of the ad is get rid of the stuff and make way for the next model. having a dead model on display to fill a hole in the display is more costly than the ad.

04-20-2012, 06:36 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
this looks like a demo and open box clear out to me (not much chance of a new one being there and I'll bet most stores were already sold out. the Sony prices were pretty good as well
Some stores may have Open Boxes but I bet most have only demos. the point of the ad is get rid of the stuff and make way for the next model. having a dead model on display to fill a hole in the display is more costly than the ad.
True, and with recent price increases the 300 is almost worth the cost of the $299 package alone.
04-20-2012, 08:52 AM   #25
Emperor and Senpai

Crap. None in Atlanta or Indianapolis. I would have made the trip for one.
04-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Palo Alto

I was at the Fry's in Palo Alto last week. They had the same black K-r on display that they had up since at least a year ago. A few months back I picked it up and it did definitely had the e-wheel problem. Now it didn't even turn on although the battery could have been discharged. I didn't see signs for red ones as I had previously. Buyers beware!
04-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
I was at the Fry's in Palo Alto last week. They had the same black K-r on display that they had up since at least a year ago. A few months back I picked it up and it did definitely had the e-wheel problem. Now it didn't even turn on although the battery could have been discharged. I didn't see signs for red ones as I had previously. Buyers beware!
Demo models are frequently best avoided in the big box scenario. they see a ton of abuse attached to those posts

Open boxes however can be a very good deal as can refurbs

Frys should send back that demo to pentax for service/refurbing
04-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #28
Veteran Member

There is one kr with 18-55 demo unit at Frys in city of industry. Ca.
Only has body lens and battery.
Nothing else. Looks ok but batt is dead so bring your own charged battery to test it.
As is 299.00
04-20-2012, 09:21 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
There is one kr with 18-55 demo unit at Frys in city of industry. Ca.
Only has body lens and battery.
my Big box experience is they have the accessories they just have no idea where. in a cleanup a year from now they'll throw them out
04-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #30
Emperor and Senpai

Just called the Milton (Alpharetta) GA store. They have 1 black Kr with the kit lens as a demo. The guy just told me he could not hold it. If someone is down there go go go!