QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Frys should send back that demo to pentax for service/refurbing
I think that they are counting on the buyer to do that.:ugh:

04-20-2012, 09:34 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
I think that they are counting on the buyer to do that.:ugh:
I used to get crap like that off display quickly. letting damaged goods sit on display hurts sales. If the store manager isn't paying attention, I'm surprised the Regional isn't on his a**
04-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I used to get crap like that off display quickly. letting damaged goods sit on display hurts sales. If the store manager isn't paying attention, I'm surprised the Regional isn't on his a**
I take it that you have never been to a Fry's? There was another thread about people ordering a Q from QVC when they saw that it was being offered for $300. Of course it was a mistake and people received some lowly Optio instead. Fry's is QVC with a parking lot.

A few months back I was at the Palo Alto store and picked up the K-r demo and fiddled with it. A salesman broke out laughing when he saw me and got the attention of another salesman. Some kind of injoke amongst themselves I suppose. I guess it is funny for a commissioned salesperson not to get a sale?
04-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #34
Veteran Member

nope never been to a Frys. If the salespeople did that working for me they wouldn't be working long. I never understood a commission salesperson who acted like that. Non Comm people I saw it a lot (usually high school kids) and they too didn't last with me.
If that had happened to me I would have stopped at the front of the store and asked to see the store manager, and told him what happened and why I would not be buying a camera from him that day or any other (s/he would likely have tried to buy your business with discounts for the bad service)

04-20-2012, 10:20 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
All of the stores near me say zero available, and you can only do store pickup. I also checked San Jose, CA and vicinity and zero as well. I wonder where they have any.
That's a shame. I sold my K20D and my K-r body (for more than this), to buy my K-5. This would have made a great backup body after selling the lenses. I do feel weird not having a backup, especially considering how long it took CRIS to adjust my K-r when I sent it to them.
04-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Gonna go to fry's today at lunch... they seem to have one of them available... I have a k-x now, so would the K-x be the backup or the k-r?
04-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I called the stores, but couldn't find any with the dual lens kit in stock.
I found some with single lens, but they were both demos.

Sunnyvale store says theirs is not working, so they aren't selling it after all. I wonder what's wrong with it.
Fremont had one, also demo. I spoke at length with the salesperson. She said it was in good condition and working fine. I went through everything that's listed in the "box contents" and it's missing the charger and the hotshoe cover.

I placed the order on frys.com with in-store pickup so that they hold the camera for me. The price was still $529 + tax, but I was told by the salesperson that in-store pickup online order only authorize the card, but don't charge it, it only gets charged when I go pick it up, and I will get the $299 price then. I will pick it up later today. Have been up most of the night and need some rest ...

No charger is a bit of a bummer since that means I won't be able to use the camera for long (only as long as the one battery retains charge). Nobody local has a charger in stock, only online.
I plan to use the K-r with AA batteries only anyway, so I don't even need the Li-on charger at all. I just need the D-BH109 battery tray. Of course, no one carries that locally either.
I think I will order that, and sell the Li-on battery, along with the DA-L 18-55 .

04-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Just called my local store in Oxnard, and only have demo models as well. Would demo models have Pentax warranty for repairs? I know those usually get man-handled pretty good...

Still going anyway to check it out.. The lady on the phone told me that demo units get an additional 5% off...
04-20-2012, 12:17 PM - 3 Likes   #39

Red K-R kit available at Fry's Roseville

Hi,
My name is Shawn Vaughn. I am the Store Manager of the Fry's Electronics in Roseville, CA. I recently set up a few google alerts and one of them led me to this discussion board regarding K-R kits. I searched the entire company stock and it does seem as though there are scattered demos and maybe one of the black model. As for the red model, the inventory seems to be demos only based on the inventory detail I have access to. Those are also scattered throughout the company. These numbers do not reflect what may have already been sold, but if anyone would like to know what your market or particular store shows as a stock level, i'll try to respond asap for you.

As far as my specific store goes, I only have a red demo in stock. No stock of the black model. The demo is also missing the battery pack. Likely taken from the demo some time ago as it's been on demo for a while. It is in great shape though. I believe they will use AA batteries.

If any of you would like to contact me directly to perhaps hold this item for you, you can reach me at my work email address. sv04@i.frys.com. It goes directly to my phone and I can reply right away. I hope this communication hasn't violated any forum rules and I apologize if it has. My goal was to give great customer service where it would be least expected

Have a great day guys! And thank you for being a Fry's customers.

Shawn Vaughn

Last edited by SMFrys; 04-21-2012 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Grammer
04-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
Fry's is QVC with a parking lot.
I've bought from Fry's in-store and online with no trouble and great service. For instance, when I ordered a couple digicams, both arrived... but one box was empty! Cables and docs, no camera nor charger etc. A sealed box, so likely somebody at the factory walked off with the goodies. I called Fry's and a new box (WITH camera et al) was rushed to me at no extra charge, no return, no hassle. YMMV.
04-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EdwardConde Quote
Just called my local store in Oxnard, and only have demo models as well. Would demo models have Pentax warranty for repairs? I know those usually get man-handled pretty good...

Still going anyway to check it out.. The lady on the phone told me that demo units get an additional 5% off...
The sales person at Fremont said the camera would have manufacturer warranty. I'm buying with a credit card that doubles the warranty also, so should be two years.
Extra 5% off would be nice, I will try and ask

I found an ebay seller in Fremont that sells the Li-on charger ! So I just purchased it after all. The auction said he offers local pickup. Still waiting for the address.
Will pick up both camera & charger soon.

I was told that the K-r model is discontinued. Indeed, the Pentax web site only shows the K-5 under DSLRs now.
I don't know if that means there is another new entry/mid-level DSLR coming up soon.
04-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SMFrys Quote
Hi,
My name is Shawn Vaughn. I am the Store Manager of the Fry's Electronics in Roseville, CA. I recently set up a few google alerts and one of them led me to this discussion board regarding K-R kits. I searched the entire company stock and it does seem as though there are scattered demos and maybe one of the black model. As for the red model, the inventory seems to be demos only based on the inventory detail I have access to. Those are also scattered throughout the company. These numbers do not reflect what may have already been sold, but if anyone would like to know what your market or particular store shows as a stock level, i'll try to respond asap for you.

As far as my specific store goes, I only have a red demo in stock. No stock of the black model. The demo is also missing the battery pack. Likely taken from the demo some time ago as it's been on demo for a while. It is in great shape though. I believe they will use AA batteries.

If any of you would like to contact me directly to perhaps hold this item for you, you can reach me at my work email address. sv04@i.frys.com. It goes directly to my phone and I can reply right away. I hope this communication hasn't violated any forum rules and I apologize if it has. My goal was to give great customer service where it would be least expected

Have a great day guys! And thank you for be Fry's customers.

Shawn Vaughn
Shawn, thank you. This is fantastic customer service, rarely seen these days.

-Nass, PF Moderator
04-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #43
Site Supporter

I've bought at Frys in Indianapolis, Atlanta, Chicago, Las Vegas, and San Jose (or suburbs of those) and have always had great luck. If they woudl open a store in Nashville (bet it would have a music theme if they did) I'd spend waaaaay too much there.
04-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SMFrys Quote
Hi,

Have a great day guys! And thank you for be Fry's customers.

Shawn Vaughn
Well done, not the service i had been led to expect at all. (No Frys in Canada, but i did spend a number of years doing what you do)
04-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #45
Site Supporter

Wow, I already got a reply from Steve with quantities and locations! He still said to call them first though. I will do that. That is great customer service there.