Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #61

Update,
Anyone in or near Campbell, CA. I just had the Store Manager confirm with me that he has a complete working demo unit in great condition available to buy right now. It's the black model K-r with the single lens for $299. He was putting it together for one of the customers that contacted me from this site, but I was able to find him the duel lens package for $299 in Concord instead. If you want me to contact this Store Manager to hold it for you, let me know ASAP before it's gone. Just email me at sv04@i.frys.com. Again, it goes directly to my phone.

Thanks,
Shawn Vaughn

04-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
I don't have a K200D (or any other body, besides the K-r), so I can't tell you what's normal for it. I can say that for the K-r, it's quite a loud clunk, and is quite disconcerting if you don't know to expect it. So many people have posted about this, worried that their camera was defective or shoddily made, but it's just how it works - and it does work well. I've seen no signs that having the sensor shifting around freely will harm it in any way.

Perhaps the sensor in the K-r can move more than in older models. I'd expect some small refinements to the SR system over the years, and that would be a logical explanation. I'm just guessing though.
I compared the noise between K-r and K200D .
The startup noise is the same.

My K200D makes no noise whatsoever when I turn it around. But the K-R does. K-r is definitely louder.

My K-r had a lot of dust on the sensor - not just the mirror. It was some long lines in the dust alert picture, not just dots.

I was just able to clean it all with a Giotto blower and a small air spray can designed for cameras. I just put an SD card in it also.

Now the dust alert picture looks perfect !
There is still some dust on the mirror and around the camera, but I can clean that up later.

So, I think this K-r is a keeper after all.

I really need an extra body cap and lens cap.

I will be taking this K-r + DA 18-250 to the beach in about an hour.
04-22-2012, 06:03 AM   #63

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
I compared the noise between K-r and K200D .
The startup noise is the same.

My K200D makes no noise whatsoever when I turn it around. But the K-R does. K-r is definitely louder.

My K-r had a lot of dust on the sensor - not just the mirror. It was some long lines in the dust alert picture, not just dots.

I was just able to clean it all with a Giotto blower and a small air spray can designed for cameras. I just put an SD card in it also.

Now the dust alert picture looks perfect !
There is still some dust on the mirror and around the camera, but I can clean that up later.

So, I think this K-r is a keeper after all.

I really need an extra body cap and lens cap.

I will be taking this K-r + DA 18-250 to the beach in about an hour.

Glad to hear you found one Madbrain. That is such a great deal. They had two black ones in Sacramento on Friday morning. One was a customer return in the box and the other was a store demo. I tried to purchase the return over the phone, but they said I would have to come in, so I missed out on that one. By the time I was done with work at the end of the day it was long gone.

I was in the Roseville store yesterday however and was pleased to see they had a K5 there which up until now they haven't carried. I was glad I finally got to pick one up and see it. They also had a Q which was new in that store as well. That is a darn cute little thing.
04-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So i decided to go hit the local fry's after all... Seems they were out of stock, but when I asked if they would the sell the demo the sales guy told me no. He said I could get a raincheck for it. Which didn't sound right since the posted sign said No Rainchecks. I asked if i could talk to a supervisor and he said he didn't know where he was and that he would try to find him. I wasted 30mins at the store and no one showed up. I finally found the sales guy but he said he was working with another customer. So I decided to take off and I left the store. This store has the worst customer service (Woodland Hills, Ca).

The camera was is decent shape tho... It was the red body K-r.... all the buttons and dials seem to be on par to my k-x... but it wasn't meant to be..

04-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax extended warranty

For those that scored a K-r at Fry's don't forget that you should be eligible to purchase the $20 Pentax 2-year extended warranty from some place like Adorama or BH. It makes for 3 years total and includes one free cleaning and adjustment. You just pay shipping.

Last edited by lammie200; 04-22-2012 at 06:46 PM.
04-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EdwardConde Quote
...This store has the worst customer service (Woodland Hills, Ca).
As I posted before that has been my experience at the local Fry's as well. Others have posted that they have had good experiences, and my hat is off to the chap from Fry's that tuned into this thread and hunted down deals for people. Fry's is a pretty large chain and I experience the same kinds of things at Best Buy from time to time. I think that it is an inevitability.
04-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #67

went to my local frys in houston. They had one demo that they were selling for $299+tax = $324. It had 2 small scratches on the lcd, and was missing the battery and box. I didnt buy it. They even had the 50-200 lens sitting in the shelf, but they would not sell me the camera as a dual lens kit. only as a single lens with the 18-55.
04-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #68

FWIW, my K-x doesn't really make any noise, but my K-7 does make disconcerting 'shifting' noises from inside when moving the camera around - I assumed it was just the shake reduction mechanism. I haven't used a K-r to compare, though.

Thanks for this thread, there seems to be a single lens kit near me, I'm going to try to check it out in the morning.

04-22-2012, 11:04 PM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alstauffer Quote
FWIW, my K-x doesn't really make any noise, but my K-7 does make disconcerting 'shifting' noises from inside when moving the camera around - I assumed it was just the shake reduction mechanism. I haven't used a K-r to compare, though.

Thanks for this thread, there seems to be a single lens kit near me, I'm going to try to check it out in the morning.
K-r's make several noises.
1. When turned off the sensor isolation will rock slightly. Almost feels like there is an egg inside that shifts a bit when the camera is handled.
2. The dust shake when started up, if you have it set to shake on start up. About three pronounced thumps that you can feel as well as hear.
3. The aperture interface on start up. This opens the lens wide open so you can look through viewfinder and see everything as bright as possible. It sounds like a motor hum for about half a second.

K-5's (and probably K-7's) do all of the above except the dust shake is ultrasonic. I have yet to hear it, but I suspect dogs can.
04-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, the results are in and the K-r met my expectations, I am keeping it. The image quality is good. High ISO is nice though I still think the Canon T3i does a bit better noise-wise at identical setting. The high fps is the part I enjoy the most on the K-r so far. I am a bit afraid of running up the shutter count. My Fry's K-r had 4300 actuations. Unless it was more, on my K200D the counter rolls over every 10,000 in the filename.

The K-r has no LCD, no weather sealing and no grip option like the K200D, but I can live without them.
I have 2 AA battery trays on order from China, once I receive them and don't have to use the LiOn battery anymore, it will be a worthy crossgrade.

I listed my K200D, BG3 and the DA L 18-55 on fleabay for those interested.
04-23-2012, 10:28 PM   #71
Veteran Member

Well, the results are in and the K-r met my expectations, I am keeping it. The image quality is good. High ISO is nice though I still think the Canon T3i does a bit better noise-wise at identical setting. The high fps is the part I enjoy the most on the K-r so far. I am a bit afraid of running up the shutter count. My Fry's K-r had 4300 actuations. Unless it was more, on my K200D the counter rolls over every 10,000 in the filename.

The K-r has no LCD, no weather sealing and no grip option like the K200D, but I can live without them.
I have 2 AA battery trays on order from China, once I receive them and don't have to use the LiOn battery anymore, it will be a worthy crossgrade.

I listed my K200D, BG3 and the DA L 18-55 on fleabay for those interested.
If you want to check the shutter count upload a jpeg to this site Check shutter count online - My Shutter Count.com
04-24-2012, 01:47 AM   #72
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
If you want to check the shutter count upload a jpeg to this site Check shutter count online - My Shutter Count.com
Thanks, I tried it. However, I don't think it's accurate.
On my K-r, the last JPEG is named IMGP4944 . But the tool claims the shutter count is only 3207 . That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, how can the filename be higher than the number reported by shuttercount ?

See Check shutter count online - My Shutter Count.com

On my K200D, the last JPEG is named IMGP7615, and it says 15013
See Check shutter count online - My Shutter Count.com . Doesn't file name roll over every 10,000 ?
I thought I had closer to 17,000 shots than 15000 . I have a bit of a hard time believing the result.

The site doesn't work at all with JPEG's from my Canon T3i, it says there is no shutter count information in the file.
04-24-2012, 07:46 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Madbrain, I had such inconsistencies after swapping memory cards between two cameras. The camera resumes the file numbering from whatever pic is present on the card, so things can get schmucked up pretty fast...

The only number I'd put my faith on is the internal shutter count you can get with tools like PhotoME...
04-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #74
Veteran Member

It's the correct shutter count, and it doesn't work for Canon. It only works for Nikon and Pentax.
04-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #75
Pentaxian

Ok Update --- I was able to locate a brand new K-r in the box at a different fry's store in Oxnard, CA. Had my sister pick it up for me.. So I will be getting it tomorrow and hopefully charge up the battery and get it ready for a shoot...

I have a K-x now so it is a small upgrade but i am ok with that for $299...