Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ccd333 Quote
- Li-ion have superior cold weather performance. Even with the advancements of the low self discharge Ni-MH's, they still can have problems in very cold weather. I guess if you never use your camera in cold conditions, it wouldn't matter......but I am always in the mountains here in Colorado and I have had issues with the Ni-MH's (including LSD's) in the cold environments.
Yeah, I don't use my camera in cold weather. My body has a problem with it long before my camera body will !

QuoteQuote:
- Li-ion are more consistent with the display on the battery gauge (though hardly perfect with the K-r I will admit).
Could be. I don't care much about the charge display, though. I know my eneloops are a good for a long while regardless of what the charge indicator says.

QuoteQuote:
- Some have mentioned they noticed that the higher voltage of the lithium chemistry can make a difference with auto focus, shutter, and write speeds (I would think even more of an issue the colder it gets).
That's surprising to me. I could understand with flash recharge, I have seen differences between batteries for that. But other than that, not really sure.

QuoteQuote:
- Even if you have plenty of easily charged Eneloops.....in case you have a problem with your AA adapter you would always have the lithium block to use. I have not had any trouble with my adapter, but I have seen problems with similar adapters for AA's (they are not exactly built like a tank).
Well, $11 bought me two of those AA adapters, so I'm redundant there too if one fails :-)

QuoteQuote:
I guess my overriding point is why not just keep the lithium? Here you have a unique concept for redundancy in the camera you own and it seems a shame not to take advantage of that specialty feature. Redundancy is more than just having extra batteries of the same type. The advantages of having both might come into play at some point.

Finally, whatever advantage is gained by having batteries that store longer would be mitigated by using the lithium battery as your every day battery. This would effectually negate the need for long term storage because (theoretically at least) you would be charging it often because you would be using it, true? That way you can have your long term storage champions, the Eneloops, as a true reliable backup......and in the meantime garner all of the benefits of the standard issue lithium ion block.
I use my cameras sporadically. I have many times gone months between shoots. I tend to use the camera infrequently, but very intensively when I do, taking lots of pictures, for example on vacation or other events. When I took the K-r the first time for my test drive 2 weekends ago, I nearly exhausted the Li-on battery which was the only one I had. That means 98% of the time, the battery is going to sit somewhere on a shelf, regardless of what type of battery it is. As I have found, sitting on a shelf for extend periods of time is lethal to Lion batteries.
No such problem with the eneloops.

The only argument I could make in favor of having a Lion charger is for future resale of the camera - another user might want to use the Lion battery. But they would probably want a charger that's easier to use where you don't have to adjust the contacts.
Maybe I could return the $30 Lenmar and buy this $7.99 charger instead : Battery Charger for Pentax K-BC109 D-Li109 DL-1109 DL1109 D-LI109 K-r DSLR NEW | eBay .

Most likely the Pentax Lion battery itself would be dead by the time I resell the camera due to infrequent use, so I don't see any case for keeping it. The new user would have to buy a new Lion battery. But they would inherit my 2 AA adapters.

05-05-2012, 11:12 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have enjoyed using my eneloops on my K-x and now with the 1 battery adapter i have i can use them on my K-r... Madbrain you may have a point on ditching the pentax battery and charger and going AAs only...