Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #1

Heeeelp !! Mirror problem!!

Hello, i have HUGE problem with my K-r, just taking ordinary photo and this is what happend
And i need it in 2 days fully working !!

04-21-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

What kind of batteries are you using?

This isn't a common issue for the K-r, but it was somewhat common for the K-5 awhile back. If you do a quick search for "K-5 mirror flop" you'll find a ton of reading on it. I think you'll have to send it in for servicing, as the battery wasn't the problem with those, it was a catalyst for an underlying hardware issue.

If you're using the supplied Li-Ion battery and this is happening, there is a chance that it won't happen using AA batteries with the AA holder. You'll still have to get it serviced at some point, but that might get you through a few days, if you can get ahold of an AA battery holder for it. There's also a chance it won't help at all. Some people reported less issues using AA batteries instead of the Li-Ion, and that's all I'm going on here. YMMV.
04-21-2012, 08:43 AM   #3

Original Poster
I have tried Li-On battery from pentax.
Will try AA battery, got the holder, but i need to buy the batteries...
But i have found something about Aperture something.. there is some moving thing.. on the left side when you are looking to the body "hole", and this is being stuck.
Don't wanna send it to warranty for 45+days.. Bought from pixmania, i am from Czech Republic, and leaving for a vacation in 2 days!
Real FAIL
04-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hmm, if there is some kind of mechanical failure with the part you mentioned, the AAs probably won't help. I can't think of anything else you can do yourself to fix it. Sorry for your luck, that really sucks to have a camera fail right before a vacation.

04-22-2012, 06:07 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So the problem is it's continually firing even if you are not holding down the shutter button?

Well couple of things to check

- Reset the camera to factory defaults (Menu -> Blue Section -> Page 3 -> Reset, at the bottom)
- Take out the battery and fully charge it.
- Clean the contacts on the mount with a lint-free/microfiber cloth and try it with a lens on.
- Take a look to see if the shutter button is sticking/stuck down at anypoint.
- Check to see if any other buttons are stuck down.
- Update the firmware if nothing else works.
- Try AA's - it could just be the li-ion battery is bad/voltage issue.

If after all that, especially resetting to defaults and updating firmware, don't work, it's probably a mechanical fault.

Are you in single firing mode or continuous? I also get mirror flop/double slap sometimes on my K-r, but not like that, and it's only when the Li-ion if fully charged, once it drains a little it's fine.

Last edited by Tom Woj; 04-22-2012 at 06:12 AM.
05-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #6

My K-r has just developed the same problem, 18 days out of warranty! When I turn it on, the mirror flops once than, when I press the shutter button, it starts flopping continuously. It doesn't matter what button I press after that or what program I choose, nothing stops it until I turn the power off. I have 2 batteries, one fully charged, the other half charged, no difference. It's pretty sad as the camera has had very little use! Because of the number of similar problems, posted on the internet, with this model, I cannot understand Pentax not offering to replace the main board, which is obviously the problem!
05-24-2012, 01:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Hm....

I don't know but i have had quite a number of issues for a long time now..

LoL! Even had my mirror jammed open thrice on 3 different occasions. It was suddenly flapping like crazy so what i have done so far for all these funny problems was just:

1) Switch off
2) Remove battery
3) Remove lens
4) Reverse steps 1-3

And then everything went back as per normal.

Maybe you might want to try these? Or was i just lucky? Make that a few times lucky...
Mine's bought 2nd hand and it should be around 2 years old without being sent back to service center ever.. :/

PS: I'm not EVER going to send it in for servicing... Coz then i'll have the missus allowing me to buy a new body... LOL! Hoping it can hold out till year end!
So far it has been working as per normal... :P
06-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #8

K-r mirror problem

Tried all the above solutions but, nothing worked. Actually bought a AA adapter, hoping that would fix it but, no difference! Took the camera into a repairer, who told be, the mirror gears are stripped and would have to be replaced. It has now gone to Pentax, for a quote. So, all you guys, with the same flopping mirror problem, you might have to send it away for repairs!

07-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #9

Took the camera to a repairer, who advised that the mirror flopping problem is caused by a faulty shutter box unit! Nothing to do with power or batteries or lenses! The camera is now with Pentax, who confirmed the shutter box problem. Repair cost $190!