View Poll Results: What would YOU do?
Buy it. That price is unbeatable. 763.64%
I'd wait to see what replaces it. 218.18%
With the k-5 sensor, the k-01 looks like a great choice. 19.09%
Other [please explain] 19.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #1

K-r at Frys w/out Battery & Charger, Should I Buy?

So I stopped by my local Fry's and they had 1 K-r left. $299 with just the 18-55. The only catch is that it does not have the battery or battery charger.

Should I bother buying the k-r?

I have a badly damaged k-x which I've been managing with, but need to replace
I am not sure If I should wait for the announcement of k-r replacement
I am not sure if I should save a little more and get the k-01

Then again, that's an amazing price for the k-r, and I could end up making money if I were to re-sell it later on..

What do you think?

04-22-2012, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would ask them if it is a demo or a customer return and what type of shape it is in. I have found the sales people at Fry's to be straight with you when you ask a question like that.
If the sales rep tells you this model is really in great shape, hasn't been on the floor long, etc. I would snap it up. Make sure you have the manufacturers warranty; and you might also buy an additional extended Frys warranty if the price is good.

But if you have the funds, why not buy a K-5 or K-01
04-23-2012, 06:19 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Call Pentax and say it is missing and they may replace it under warranty. Cannon did that for parts missing for my scanner I bought at fry's. Didn't tell them it was a demo.
04-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
Forum Member

Check the shutter count. If it is low, everything looks good and it comes with a full warranty, I'd snap it up. There are plenty of aftermarket battery options available at very reasonable prices, some better than the stock battery. I have a pair of Wasabi high capacity batteries for my K-r that last much longer than the stock battery.

04-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TAP Quote
So I stopped by my local Fry's and they had 1 K-r left. $299 with just the 18-55. The only catch is that it does not have the battery or battery charger.

Should I bother buying the k-r?

I have a badly damaged k-x which I've been managing with, but need to replace
I am not sure If I should wait for the announcement of k-r replacement
I am not sure if I should save a little more and get the k-01

Then again, that's an amazing price for the k-r, and I could end up making money if I were to re-sell it later on..

What do you think?
Mine was missing the charger only, but not the battery.
You can ask them for another 5% discount due to missing accessories. They gave that to me due to missing charger.
You should have 30 days to return if it doesn't work as expected.

I found out Fry's sells a compatible Lion charger, but not the battery. The models are BCUNI2 and BCUNI3 . Made them match amazon price. They don't sell the Lion battery unfortunately. You would have to get one somewhere else.

You could buy this for $30 - 2 Li-on batteries + charger.
Amazon.com: 2 Pack of High Capacity Pentax D-LI109 1050mAh (2100mAh Total)Replacement Lithium-Ion Battery for Pentax K-R Digital SLR Cameras With Rapid Travel Charger: Camera & Photo

Or if you like AA, you could order the AA battery tray from a US vendor and find out quickly how well the camera works. And maybe you don't need to buy the Li-on charger/battery at all, just use eneloops.

B&H has a used one for $22.95 + shipping : Used Pentax D-BH109 AA Battery Holder for the Pentax K-r 39100 . A new one is $29.95 at most US places. I ordered two from China for $10 as I prefer AA, but it will take 3-4 weeks to reach me, not an option for you. In the meantime I will use the Lion battery I got.
If I get the AA trays from China before 30 days, I may return the BCUNI3 to fry's. And sell my lone K-r Lion battery. I really hate Lion.
04-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lupine Quote
Check the shutter count. If it is low, everything looks good and it comes with a full warranty, I'd snap it up. There are plenty of aftermarket battery options available at very reasonable prices, some better than the stock battery. I have a pair of Wasabi high capacity batteries for my K-r that last much longer than the stock battery.
Op has no way to check the shutter count without first buying it.
You need a charged battery to turn it on and find out the shutter count.
04-24-2012, 11:21 AM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
My local Fry's had a K-r and a K-5 set-up with external power that I was able to play with when I was shopping last November.
04-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote

Almost worth asking them at the camera shop to borrow one of their batteries; as I'm sure they must have something that will work. But if the slim chance that they don't it would perhaps be worth trying to borrow one from a friend or something.

But at that price it would almost be willing to take the gamble if there is some type of a written proof warranty with it. Also would a credit card help out the warranty??

04-24-2012, 04:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lupine Quote
My local Fry's had a K-r and a K-5 set-up with external power that I was able to play with when I was shopping last November.
Lucky you, the Fremont Fry's store where I bought the camera didn't have external power for the K-r.
I don't think the other Fry's store in Sunnyvale had the K-r powered either.

On a related note, The K-r AC adapter seems pretty pricey at $80 MSRP, $70 street price.
I did not find any cheaper alternative. Not even a DC coupler to which one could attach a power supply. If anyone knows of a cheaper alternative, it would be appreciated.
04-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Almost worth asking them at the camera shop to borrow one of their batteries; as I'm sure they must have something that will work. But if the slim chance that they don't it would perhaps be worth trying to borrow one from a friend or something.

But at that price it would almost be willing to take the gamble if there is some type of a written proof warranty with it. Also would a credit card help out the warranty??
Camera shop ? There are camera shops that still carry Pentax ? Let alone a discontinued model ?
04-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #11
TAP

Original Poster
Thanks for all the responses guys! I wish I got this kind of feedback the day I posted this thread haha. Unfortunately I went back the following day, and it had been sold. Someone was taking it to checkout just as I entered the store.

Oh well.. looks like I'll be saving up for a k-5!