Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Sooooo...I want to buy this Opteka EF-790 DG Super TTL

First and foremost, just know that as someone who just started taking photography seriously a couple years ago my wife and I made a pact that I wouldn't spend more than $1,000 a year on this new "hobby" of mine. Well I just spent all of it on the 50mm 1.4 and 10-17mm. Well now that I want to try my hands at some strobe work (mostly bands and concerts, so mostly indoors) I'm spending endless hours researching TTL flashes that will work with my K-r.

Today's search lead to this.

Specifications

Type:
Shoe Mount
Guide No:
148' (45 m) at 85mm
AF Illuminator:
3.3ft-20ft/1-6m (50mm Lens)
Flash Duration:
1/1000 to 1/20,000 second
TTL Dedication:
Yes
Bounce Head:
Yes
Swivel Head:
Yes
Recycle Time:
0.5-9 seconds (based on fresh batteries & full power)
Power Source:
Four rechargeable "AA" batteries (Lithium, Ni-cd & Ni-MH)
Dimensions:
72mm x 100mm x 125mm
Weight:
270g (without batteries )

For $79? This can't be true? Can it?No reviews so I looked up the Canon version. 4 stars. BUT: I noticed the titled changed from Super TTL to E-TTL. Hmmm. Any better suggestions for around $100? Should I just wait until next year and get the Pentax 540?

Thanks in advance for all your answers and comments guys. You truly have all been majorly helpful in this endeavor of mine!

04-24-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Also, it has 6 different power levels.
04-24-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't know about that one. Metz and Sigma make flashes that work with P-TTL for not much more.

Amazon.com: Metz mecablitz 36 AF-5 Digital Flash for Pentax Cameras: Electronics

Also, if you want off camera flashes and to do strobist work you can get manual flashes like the Yongnuos and some radio triggers.

Amazon.com: Yongnuo YN-560 Speedlight Flash for Canon and Nikon: Electronics
04-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Awesome, thank you! I've actually been eyeballing that YN560 for months now.

04-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by randesigns Quote
Awesome, thank you! I've actually been eyeballing that YN560 for months now.
You will have to set everything manually; I checked and there is no auto setting. I am just getting into off camera flashes myself, but the YN560 has an excellent reputation.
04-24-2012, 10:07 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have any experience with TTL flashes, but if you want something cheap and cheerfull grab a Yn 460ii. Fully manual but simple to use, and cheap to replace. Got mine for around 30, think they're about $40 in the US.
04-24-2012, 04:59 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by randesigns Quote
Well now that I want to try my hands at some strobe work (mostly bands and concerts, so mostly indoors) I'm spending endless hours researching TTL flashes that will work with my K-r.
Today's search lead to this.
This is where you need to start your search:
The definitive guide to Pentax hot shoe flashes and compatible 3rd-party options.

First rule- your K-r does NOT support TTL flash. It supports P-TTL flash. There is a difference and it is critical that you know that difference.
Second rule- Unless the K-r is specifically listed as being supported, odds are it isn't.
Third rule- even if the K-r is specifically listed, make sure you understand and are in agreement with the seller's return policy. In some cases only flashes with the very latest firmware will support the K-r's P-TTL function.

I purchased a current model Vivitar P-TTL flash and had to return it when both the flash and camera went crazy (luckily no damage to the camera). Then I dug deeper into my wallet and purchased the Sigma EF-610 DG Super. Although I will likely shoot manual whenever I have time to tinker with the setup, I decided I really wanted the added features, especially the wireless P-TTL. You must study BOTH the flash and camera manuals and run test shots to figure everything out, but I am not sorry I spent the money.
07-26-2012, 01:59 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Soooo... ? still no hands-on feedback about the Opteka? I want one as well (for my K-r indeed).

07-26-2012, 03:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I had this flash before but it was sold under a different brand.

Used it with either a K100D Super or K20D (don't really remember) and it worked in P-TTL mode. But the build quality was cheap and tacky, the on/off switches were made of sharp hard plastic and would scratch my glasses when the camera was in portrait orientation, and the worst thing is that the flash tube blew after a few months and I lost the money as the flash was sold without warranty. Bought a Metz 48 and was happy with that apart from the funky menu interface. Played with the AF-360 as well, which I felt was a nice flash with easy controls but no swivel..

I was quite a noob at the time, so I don't think I put this cheap flash to any off-camera flash duties, so I can't really comment. But what I will say is that the YN-560 (I have two) are super well-built and offer a good bang for buck. I'd recommend that flash if you can live without P-TTL, and you probably don't need it if you are just bouncing the flash indoors for casual snaps..