Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2012, 02:21 AM   #1

Stolen K-r

Hallo to everyone. LAst weak my camera was stolen from my office in Greece , Veroia. I would like to know wheather i could do somthing to report it at Pentax. If anyone oknows plz let me know

04-25-2012, 02:56 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thre is a website that claims to identify camera serial numbers from photos posted on the web. Stolen Camera Finder - find your photos, find your camera I can't verify it's effectiveness however.
04-25-2012, 04:18 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Terrible thing to hear! You might have options of reporting the serial pentax service centers in greece. It may be a long shot but if the camera is taken in for any service by an unsuspecting buyer you might have a chance of tracking the trash-bag that stole it.
It would be really unlikely that it would but I guess on the off chance.
I also assume you have reported it to the police and company for which you work.

All the best finding your beloved camera. I would be heart broken if i were to lose mine.
04-25-2012, 04:57 AM   #4
Banned

Photos: Albums
Somewhat related; somewhat possibly not??

For computers (not sure about cameras) with an Intel chip; and not removable... One can track literally any laptop computer made since the end of the Pentium 4; in some cases much earlier.. For computers ne cannot connect via the internet (even dial-up); or for laptops one cannot even go near a WiFi - without having their computer completely traced. There's no practical way around it.

Although I also wouldn't suggest leaving ones laptop at a coffee shop unattended - it still only takes one person to think that they can do it -plus computers are still hackable within seconds.

As fo cameras - one would assume that they have "original identifiers" built into the camera - perhaps into one of the central processors. I know that literally all printers have them (one can recognize printers by connection and also by their prints); why not cameras?

Technically; all they have to do is to hook up the camera to any computer (via a type of usb) and then even if they are not on the internet presently - eventually they will be.

I'd also be pouring over the companies security cameras. Hopefully the company makes efforts to protect their assets as well as their employees. IF they do have cameras tactfuly ask them for copies or permission to view the video results before possibly needing to go legal on them as well.

On all of my cameras I have types of additional security measures; which can actually trace the camera even without any additional connections. But I also occasionally use items like versions of cable locks -yes cable locks can be cut, but then the alarm for the cable goes off as well - still connected to the camera. Plus who's going to sell a Hasselblad at a pawn shop.

It's also concerning that this happened at work. It could have been an employee (of which would be a worse case scenario), a visitor (likely), a vendor, etc.. IF it's an employee or vendor they should be fired - who knows what other types of damage they have done??

04-25-2012, 05:03 AM   #5
Banned

Photos: Albums
Stolen Camera Finder - supported cameras

Yes you Pentax Kr is supported as long as you have ever downloaded any of the pics (at least two) to any computer where they are still presently stored. Naturally it will work best if you also have administrator rights to that same computer - or to simply request that persons assistance.

But yes the camera is almost always traceable; not all of the itme, but when they hook it up it will all go right back to them. And this is just one of many camera tracing options.

Here is a variation of a type of device...

http://www.motorola.com/web/Business/Products/RFID/RFID%20Tags/_Documents/St...df?localeId=33

One could put this on just about any camera; with a non p&s it might not even be noticed by most users of the camera

Last edited by Medium FormatPro; 04-25-2012 at 05:13 AM. Reason: ading content and links
04-25-2012, 05:38 AM   #6

That sucks. Make sure you report it stolen to the police and your company. Does your office have any CC-TV? I'd be gutted if mine got stolen. But, it's just a physical item, not the complete end of the world, worse things can happen, always remember that.
04-25-2012, 05:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Sorry.

Good news is you can buy a K-x pretty cheap to replace it with. Beside 4 AA batts for power. I like going with the cheaper Pentax bodies in case of such a loss or damage.
04-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #8
ak2

Original Poster
I did report it to the police. I run a private office of engineering not in a company. I just report it to the Pentax Greece. They said they will forward it if they can in other european contrys cause most likely the camera is off the contry already.........;-(
Thanks a lot for the stolen camera webpage i will geave it a try......It was a beautifull white K-r dam.....
Thanks a lot again

04-26-2012, 12:30 AM   #9

Sorry to hear that.. I would have been very sad