Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
flash dilema

Hi guys,

I know you have probably heard this a million times, I am looking for a flash for my k-r. I'm reading all around the net and mixed views on the subject.

I am looking for a flash gun compatable with the k-r that is safe (I.e. won't ruin my camera) what is the difference between ttl and p-ttl because I've read only p-ttl is compatable? My budget is 100 or less.

I'm looking to use it for macro/portraits so off camera would be handy

Any suggestions? Maybe k-r users that have flash guns could advise also?

Many thanks in advance

04-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #2

First off,
TTL - works using a sensor in the camera to check the exposure level and sends a signal to the flash to stop when a proper exposure has been achieved.

P-TTL - uses a pre-flash meter to determine the correct exposure level, hence you get that slight strobe effect before the actual exposure. This is the P-TTL system reading the "scene" and calculating the power level for the flash to get the correct exposure.

The K-R does not have a TTL sensor so your only options for automated flash are P-TTL and using a flash with an auto mode (thyristor). At your price range I am not sure if there is a good option for you, but if you check this guide The Definitive Guide - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison you might be able to find a generic flash that meets your needs and price range.

Personally I would just get 1 or 2 Yongnuo YN-560 II and learn to shoot manually, this should work well if you are doing off camera portraits. Once you get the hang of manual flash you should be able to produce much more consistent results.
04-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice does the flash you suggested need a firmware update to be compatable with the k-r?
04-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I would look for an old auto flash, one that has a sensor on the flash. Based on a chart on the flash you set a aperture and the flash selects the proper power level for the image. I use 3 old flash units I still have from the the 80's. The only problem with old flash units is the trigger voltage could damage your camera. see chart link to safe flashes. You should be able to find an old unit for $10 -$50

Hans

Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages