Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2012, 11:12 PM   #1

Problem with Zeiss 85mm manual focus lens

I had this Zeiss Planar 85 1.4 few days ago. Very well built lens. It's my first lens without AF.

At the very beginning, I use "focus tip" and "trap focus" of my kr to shoot around. But I found it is not easy to make my photo sharp and clear. So I did a test with focus testing card, I found the focus is running forward from F1.4~F4, when I keep reducing the aperture, the focus runs backward from F4.5~F16. It sees when the aperture is at F4, the focus can correctly fall on the right point.

Under this condition, I will not able to use "focus tip" and "trap focus", but judging focus by naked eye? or use Lv mode will make it easier?

Will it be the problem of the lens? because I never had this problem with my other lens.

04-26-2012, 11:24 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Focus confirmation is approximate, so there will be some leeway based on the direction you're turning the focusing ring. The best thing to do with manual focus lenses is to get a split-screen focusing screen so you can accurately focus through the VF.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-26-2012, 11:52 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a CZ85mm f1.4 and I use it with my K-7. I found that the CZ85 focus ring is very, very precise and I tend to trust my own eyes rather than the camera focus confirmation. I have done some limited tests of shots, all with focus confirmation. Some are really nicely focused, others not. I think that the lens is very sharp and need to carefully focused, while the CZ85 focus ring is more accurate than the camera focus confirmation.

A split screen is definitely an excellent idea IMHO.

I do not have a split screen and I rely instead upon taking a burst while gently adjusting the ring. Often I found myself taking 2-3 shots in burst while I gently fine tune the focus ring. I tend to have at least 1-2 good shot(s) per burst.

Hope that the comment may help.:evil:

Last edited by hcc; 04-27-2012 at 01:57 AM.
04-27-2012, 02:14 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Focus confirmation is approximate, so there will be some leeway based on the direction you're turning the focusing ring. The best thing to do with manual focus lenses is to get a split-screen focusing screen so you can accurately focus through the VF.
Thanks for the tip. If I install a split-screen on K-r, will it affect anything if I change my other AF lens on? Or does it have any side effect on camara?

04-27-2012, 02:20 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
I have a CZ85mm f1.4 and I use it with my K-7. I found that the CZ85 focus ring is very, very precise and I tend to trust my own eyes rather than the camera focus confirmation. I have done some limited tests of shots, all with focus confirmation. Some are really nicely focused, others not. I think that the lens is very sharp and need to carefully focused, while the CZ85 focus ring is more accurate than the camera focus confirmation.

A split screen is definitely an excellent idea IMHO.

I do not have a split screen and I rely instead upon taking a burst while gently adjusting the ring. Often I found myself taking 2-3 shots in burst while I gently fine tune the focus ring. I tend to have at least 1-2 good shot(s) per burst.

Hope that the comment may help.:evil:
thank you for the suggestion, I think the "burst" try is quite reasonable, I am gonna do this and see how it goes.
04-27-2012, 02:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frankfanrui Quote
Thanks for the tip. If I install a split-screen on K-r, will it affect anything if I change my other AF lens on? Or does it have any side effect on camara?
The light meter is now inside the viewfinder housing so the split-screen has some effect on the lightmeter but not so much from what i hear though.
This effect any lens btw.

For the rest no negative side effects to the camera.
04-27-2012, 05:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Your possibilities are the following, sorted from the cheapest to the most expensive:
-free: instead of using the red light in the center of the viewfinder and the beep, better deactivate them so they don't get in your way, and watch the green hexagon at the bottom, which is the actual focus confirmation (and works well)
-free as well: live view
-$79 plus shipping from Taiwan, an "S-type" matte focusing screen [very precise, much more than the standard screen, reportedly no effect upon metering, including spot
-same price, a microprism or split image screen, if you prefer these
-$105, a split screen from Katz-Eye, add $50 for "OptiBrite" if you think you need it. As far as I know, the screen used is the same as K3 from focusingscreen.com
-$(I don't know how much), sell your lens and get an AF alternative.
04-27-2012, 06:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Focusing Screen

most seem to prefer the Ec-B

04-27-2012, 06:23 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
The light meter is now inside the viewfinder housing so the split-screen has some effect on the lightmeter but not so much from what i hear though.
This effect any lens btw.

For the rest no negative side effects to the camera.
Thanks for the information, I think effect on lightmeter is ok for me since exposure time can be easily adjusted.
04-27-2012, 06:25 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
Your possibilities are the following, sorted from the cheapest to the most expensive:
-free: instead of using the red light in the center of the viewfinder and the beep, better deactivate them so they don't get in your way, and watch the green hexagon at the bottom, which is the actual focus confirmation (and works well)
-free as well: live view
-$79 plus shipping from Taiwan, an "S-type" matte focusing screen [very precise, much more than the standard screen, reportedly no effect upon metering, including spot
-same price, a microprism or split image screen, if you prefer these
-$105, a split screen from Katz-Eye, add $50 for "OptiBrite" if you think you need it. As far as I know, the screen used is the same as K3 from focusingscreen.com
-$(I don't know how much), sell your lens and get an AF alternative.
Wow, that's a lot of options, I think I will take all of them into consideration expect the last one, I just had it, and I need time to understand it. Thank you by the way.
04-27-2012, 06:28 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's OK, I wasn't really suggesting you to sell it, God forbid. I, for myself, have no AF lens except the 18-55 which came with my K-x, and which I keep only because it is red.