Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mirror Cycles At Wrong Time

I have a K-r that was cycling the mirror at the wrong times. Almost any control would cause the mirror to cycle, though no photo was being saved. Sometimes it would runaway and only turning the camera off would make it stop. Move the E-dial, click! Any button or switch would start the clicking. Even half depressing the shutter button to the focus position would start the mirror clicking.

Finally I changed the battery and it began to function properly. I went from the Lithium-ion battery to AA Ni metal Hydrides and even after I charged the Li-Ion battery the camera would start to malfunction after only a few minutes.

Anyone know anything about this?

04-28-2012, 12:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

This is a very strange problem. I have never seen or heard of it before. Have you tried restoring to factory defaults?, if that doesn't work maybe re-install the firmware.
04-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #3

Original Poster
Since I wrote the first message I have defined the problem some more. Even with the AA batteries I am getting trouble with 'misfires' where the mirror folds but no image is saved. This is worse if I am using the flash, live view and when the batteries are not freshly charged. Firmware is still 1.0. I have not restored the factory defaults, but went through them carefully and did not find anything that looked wrong.

BTW this camera was bought used with about 1400 exposures. I don't know if the 'misfires' counted. I don't expect the warranty would be valid because I didn't get it from a dealer.
04-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Yeh, unfortunately as your the second owner your not covered. Though if the previous owner pasted on the blank warranty card it might be worth a shot.
Although I would definitely upgrade the firmware before you send it in. As sometimes
Firmware gets corrupted. I can't be positive this is the cause but it's a free option non-the-less.

04-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #5

Original Poster
After a little more experimentation it appears that the mirror is failing to lock into position with anything less than fully charged batteries. If I put fully charged batteries into the camera the first thing that happens is the mirror clicks into position. Take about twenty shots and then the shutter sound changes from click-click to click-click---click. The camera is now mis-firing and if I push the shutter button as soon as the prefire position is reached the mirror clicks. If I push the live view button the mirror clicks over, and over, and over until I turn off the power switch.

I'll try the firmware. Really seems like a mechanical problem though.

I am coming to believe that this camera was a Fry's demo that they did not want to repair so they gave it to Goodwill, where I bought it. I knew there were problems, but wanted to give it a try. Just hoping someone else had some experience with this problem and could give a hint.
04-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #6

Original Poster
See thread "Pentak k-r shutter problem!". This appears to be the same problem.
04-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sloglass Quote
After a little more experimentation it appears that the mirror is failing to lock into position with anything less than fully charged batteries. If I put fully charged batteries into the camera the first thing that happens is the mirror clicks into position. Take about twenty shots and then the shutter sound changes from click-click to click-click---click. The camera is now mis-firing and if I push the shutter button as soon as the prefire position is reached the mirror clicks. If I push the live view button the mirror clicks over, and over, and over until I turn off the power switch.

I'll try the firmware. Really seems like a mechanical problem though.

I am coming to believe that this camera was a Fry's demo that they did not want to repair so they gave it to Goodwill, where I bought it. I knew there were problems, but wanted to give it a try. Just hoping someone else had some experience with this problem and could give a hint.
It just twigged. Its the old Mirror Flop issues, see this thread for the run down

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/152033-k5-mirror-flops-s...gun-found.html

Edit: Sorry didn't see your post (I was reading the other thread on mirror flops)

04-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

What you describe is definitely the "Mirror Flop" problem found in some K-5's and K-r's.

Whoever sold you the camera was, well, less than honest IMHO. Given the fix is to replace the "main processing board" of the camera I can't imagine it will be cheap for you. Do you have any recourse with the seller?? They will be able to return the camera and get it fixed under warranty.
04-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #9

Original Poster
Yes & no. The problem seems the same but on my camera it happens when the battery is low but the people with the K-5's seem to be having trouble when the battery is newly charged.

Twitch, the camera was sold as needing repair and at a much reduced price. I have no complaints.
05-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #10

Original Poster
I finally found that the mirror flop condition seemed to become better after I removed and cleaned the contacts on the DAL 18-55 lens. After that I replaced the DAL lens with a DA 18-55 after cleaning the lens mount contacts again. I have shot over 100 pictures since replacing the lens an have not had a 'mirror flop'. I do not know exactly how a lens problem could be causing the 'mirror flop' but it seems so.
05-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sloglass Quote
I finally found that the mirror flop condition seemed to become better after I removed and cleaned the contacts on the DAL 18-55 lens. After that I replaced the DAL lens with a DA 18-55 after cleaning the lens mount contacts again. I have shot over 100 pictures since replacing the lens an have not had a 'mirror flop'. I do not know exactly how a lens problem could be causing the 'mirror flop' but it seems so.
Hmm well at least it seems you have fixed it or atleast it has gone away for the time being. That said I am lost as to the exact cause.
05-04-2012, 05:06 AM   #12
wax
Forum Member

It seams itīs a voltage problem realted with the original battery(donīt know on generic ones), metering and lenses(flange). Using AAs with any AAs adapter should work fine for you. I even think camera system is more stable this way.
05-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wax Quote
It seams itīs a voltage problem realted with the original battery(donīt know on generic ones), metering and lenses(flange). Using AAs with any AAs adapter should work fine for you. I even think camera system is more stable this way.
Though having a fully charged battery helped reduce the problem, the big improvement came with cleaning the lens mount electrical contacts and using a different lens. I also switched from a DAL lens to a DA lens. I suspect the metal base makes a better connection just because I haven't had the trouble since the change.