Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Can't beat that price. Yet this also brings up the debate on whether one would really want the one touch zoom versus the seperate zoom and focus rings
In my opinion? The One-touch or Push-Pull zoom style wins, hands down. Zooming and focusing at the same time is scads faster with my Access lens than it ever was with a tele-zoom with zoom ring, such as my old Sigma 70-300. Even with Autofocus (admittedly, a K10D's not-spectacular screw drive autofocus) the difference is minimal. It's just as precise, too. Having to move my hand from one ring to the other to make adjustments is very time consuming compared with the all-at-once style of a one-touch.

My particular push-pull zoom also has an unusual feature: Pulling zooms in, pushing zooms out. This is the opposite of most push-pulls, and feels intuitive. Zooming in is like pulling the subject closer. Zooming out is like pushing it away. And it doesn't change overall length when zooming.

What a gem, honestly

I just wish I knew who actually made it.

05-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have both the Tamron 70-300 and the Pentax DAL 55-300. I like the macro focus on the Tamron but also like the wider end of the Pentax when shooting G-Kids soccer. IQ wise it is hard to tell them apart. The Tamron runs about $150 new the Pentax about twice that. I got the Pentax DAL with a Kr kit I couldn't pass up. For the price the Tamron is hard to pass up.

Hans
05-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
I have both the Tamron 70-300 and the Pentax DAL 55-300. I like the macro focus on the Tamron but also like the wider end of the Pentax when shooting G-Kids soccer. IQ wise it is hard to tell them apart. The Tamron runs about $150 new the Pentax about twice that. I got the Pentax DAL with a Kr kit I couldn't pass up. For the price the Tamron is hard to pass up.

Hans
I looks like I be buying the sigma 70-300mm DG APO I tryed it out in the shop today looks and feels great cheers for all the great info
05-08-2012, 03:54 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
In my opinion? The One-touch or Push-Pull zoom style wins, hands down.
While also my choice, I can think of one exception where separate focus and zoom really shines. This is assuming that focus doesn't shift when zooming (it does for some lesser zooms)... Unless shooting a moving subject, I like to zoom in tight to my subject, focus, then zoom back to my desired angle of view. Live View on the K-r does this same thing electronically. It is nearly impossible to do this when both zoom and focus are in one control.

05-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #20
Veteran Member

One-touch / push-pull zooms are fine... when we have both our hands holding camera+lens. Are even OK when camera+lens are on tripod or otherwise immobilized, so long as they are level-enough horizontally. But (almost) every such zoom I've experienced has zoom-creep to some degree. Not so bad on most shorter zooms, but I've sold all my short push-pulls. Not too bad on some in the 70-200mm range, which includes most of my push-pulls. But with the rarest exceptions, I avoid tripodding push-pulls.
05-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Not to throw a wrench in here, but the Tamron 70-200 2.8 has made me shelve my DA55-300.
The 70-200 2.8 is actually a 105-300 with the K5..and is pure awesomeness.
05-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Not to throw a wrench in here, but the Tamron 70-200 2.8 has made me shelve my DA55-300.
The 70-200 2.8 is actually a 105-300 with the K5..and is pure awesomeness.
And it costs how much?

I assumed the OP was talking budget zooms. He's on the fence about a lens that costs 100 quid more than the kit lens, so I'd assume the Tamron 70-200 2.8, AWESOME though it is, is just too salty.
05-08-2012, 08:35 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
And it costs how much?

I assumed the OP was talking budget zooms. He's on the fence about a lens that costs 100 quid more than the kit lens, so I'd assume the Tamron 70-200 2.8, AWESOME though it is, is just too salty.
I suppose you are right.

05-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #24
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by safc Quote
I looks like I be buying the sigma 70-300mm DG APO I tryed it out in the shop today looks and feels great cheers for all the great info
If its not too late DON'T BUY IT!, i can guaranty within a few months you will be looking to ditch the Sigma and replacing it with the Pentax 55-300.
05-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by Malfunction Quote
If its not too late DON'T BUY IT!, i can guaranty within a few months you will be looking to ditch the Sigma and replacing it with the Pentax 55-300.
Why would it take a few months? If the 55-300 is that much better that you are imploring him emphatically not to buy the Sigma, then you would think you would know this right away (by the way, I didn't.....I have the lens he is buying and it's awesome for the money, does better macro, and does a better job with CA). In fact, here's a photo I took recently in a dark theater (and tungsten lighting I might add) with my K-r, ISO 1600. 240mm, with the Sigma APO he just bought. What exactly could the Pentax 55-300 have done that much better for more than twice the price? Perhaps corner to corner sharpness, but I will almost always use this kind of lens at the longest focal lengths to isolate the subject.....so corner sharpness is not as critical in my opinion because I want the shallower DOF to create bokeh around the edges. This photo is a good example of that.

Finally, why not buy it and then try it out (not exactly breaking the bank with his choice)......if he wants to upgrade later he can always save up and buy the vaunted 55-300. That way he will appreciate it that much more.

Last edited by ccd333; 05-09-2012 at 06:52 PM.
05-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ccd333 Quote
Why would it take a few months? If the 55-300 is that much better that you are imploring him emphatically not to buy the Sigma, then you would think you would know this right away (by the way, I didn't.....I have the lens he is buying and it's awesome for the money, does better macro, and does a better job with CA). In fact, here's a photo I took recently in a dark theater (and tungsten lighting I might add) with my K-r, ISO 1600. 240mm, with the Sigma APO he just bought. What exactly could the Pentax 55-300 have done that much better for more than twice the price? Perhaps corner to corner sharpness, but I will almost always use this kind of lens at the longest focal lengths to isolate the subject.....so corner sharpness is not as critical in my opinion because I want the shallower DOF to create bokeh around the edges. This photo is a good example of that.

Finally, why not buy it and then try it out (not exactly breaking the bank with his choice)......if he wants to upgrade later he can always save up and buy the vaunted 55-300. That way he will appreciate it that much more.
am picking up my sigma 70-300 up this weekend thanks once again for the great info u give cheers