Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2012, 11:06 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Camera would not revive after long shutter exposure

So i pointed my camera at the stars with the shutter setting on bulb. I probably left it open for 30min or so.

I started and finished the exposure with a remote with no issues. But the camera went dark and never revived. i turned it off and then on again, and nothing. Thinking the battery may have died i ejected it and stuck it back in to se if i get any signs of life. After that the camera turned on and everything is fine but the picture i took is not there...

Any advice for me?

05-15-2012, 11:13 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Disable slow shutter speed noise reduction and you should be good to go.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-15-2012, 11:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

There is something called dark frame subtraction (DFS). After a long exposure, the camera will take an equally long second photo with closed shutter (in your case 30 minutes) to subtract from the first one eliminating some noise. So either wait patiently or follow Adam's advise.

From hearsay (not tried myself):
If you're doing multiple long exposures, it's less time consuming to switch it off and take one photo with the lens cap on and subtract that later in post processing.
05-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Your camera was still "processing" the photo you took. By removing the battery you prevented the processing from completing, so the image was never saved.

As above you can either disable Slow Shutter speed Noise Reduction, or wait!

05-17-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Even with "sspnr" disabled, DFS will still run (I believe) if the exposure is 30 seconds or longer - sit back and have a beer while waiting