Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #1

focus problem

i have a k-x. i have serious trouble when i search focus points during photo sessions mostly between F2.8 - 4.5, i find very rarely a clean, nice focus.
what can i do? my camera do not show me where the focus is. please help me.
i have problem mostly in the marked sections. the camera works good. thanks. piskota

Attached Images

05-16-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Set you camera for center spot autofocus, select what you want to be the focus
point of your subject then keep the shutter button at half press and recompose as you like the scene to be.
If you leave it on auto focus selection it will focus on whatever has the highest contrast, it can't read your mind.
That way you always know where the focus will be as YOU select it.
05-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobpur Quote
Set you camera for center spot autofocus, select what you want to be the focus
point of your subject then keep the shutter button at half press and recompose as you like the scene to be.
This is exactly what I do. I would opt for that method even if there were AF indicators in the VF.
05-17-2012, 12:01 AM   #4

Original Poster
thanks. but usually i work with a tripod, if i select the center spot as autofocus point, i can't move the camera to recompose the image. in the marked section i do not have any reference if i have a clean focus or not. my main problem is that i don't know where to point the camera. you could denote the focus points in the marked sections where do you believe it is? thanks.

05-17-2012, 10:27 PM   #5
rfg

QuoteOriginally posted by piskota Quote
thanks. but usually i work with a tripod, if i select the center spot as autofocus point, i can't move the camera to recompose the image. in the marked section i do not have any reference if i have a clean focus or not. my main problem is that i don't know where to point the camera. you could denote the focus points in the marked sections where do you believe it is? thanks.
The K-x and the K-r both have 11 focus points. Assuming they are the same there are nine in a 3x3 square array filling the square outlined by the 2 larger centre brackets, and one more left and right just inside the smaller brackets. But this doesn't help when you can't see which one the camera has chosen as the focus point. If it is like the K-r though, and this may be a big IF as they use different versions of the SAFOX focus system, then there is a big preference for the centre spot even when in 11 point mode. I'm not sure what I would do in your situation: maybe manual focus with live view magnified, although the K-x screen is lower res than my K-r or maybe select the focus point that best aligns with where you want to focus (does the K-x have this mode?)
05-18-2012, 03:20 AM   #6

Focus points on the K-x are big, quite a bit bigger than you think that can cause some problems with off focus. If you look at the spot metering area the AF will cover more than that. K-r has the same problem oversized AF points even though it has markings in the VF ie red LED.
06-02-2012, 12:07 AM   #7

Original Poster
thanks. i have to read more about the spot metering system.... i will come back.