Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #1

Can't change from Manual focus to Auto Focus

I can't change the focus on my K-r from manual to auto. I've tried changing the settings in the menu to auto, I've tried resetting the settings to default and I've made sure that the switch on the body is in the auto focus position and I still can't get it to focus!

Anyone know anything that I am yet to try??

Cheers,

Kelly

05-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian

What lens?
05-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #3

Original Poster
standard lense that comes with that body, heres the ad for it. Pentax K-R 18-55mm Single lens kit Red by Pentax | Diamonds Camera
05-20-2012, 09:51 PM   #4

Original Poster
This is the standard lense that I have been using for just under a year now and it changed to manual focus when I was using it one day and it just won't change back

05-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try taking the lens off, and cleaning the contact surfaces of both the lens and the camera. You could use a little bit of alcohol or something similar to clean the surfaces. Then put the lens back on & give it a try.
05-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #6

Original Poster
I have tried taking the lens off but i didn't clean it, so I'll try that tonight as see how I go, thanks
05-21-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I'm guessing that's your only lens? If you can't get it to work, get a hold of another autofocus lens to try so you can see if it is the lens or the body...
05-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I'm guessing that's your only lens? If you can't get it to work, get a hold of another autofocus lens to try so you can see if it is the lens or the body...
To add to this, bring both your camera and lens into a camera store if you don't know any close by Pentax shooters. They will most likely let you try it out on their display body and lenses.

05-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KevinSchenk Quote
To add to this, bring both your camera and lens into a camera store if you don't know any close by Pentax shooters. They will most likely let you try it out on their display body and lenses.
If only camera stores had Pentax display bodies and lenses...
05-21-2012, 09:22 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Does the focus ring on your lens turn freely, if it does the switch on the body is in manual (or not fully in auto) or the screw drive is not engaging the lens. Remove the lens and make sure the small drive key on the body is not stuck in the body, it should extend out from the lens mound about 1/16" Also check the lens and make sure the drive hole is not full of dirt and that you can turn the lens focus drive slot with a pen or other small object. Then check that the drive slot turns when the lens is focused when off the camera. That's the mechanical side. On the software side when you focus the lens manually do you get the in focus indication (beep, green hex in the finder or red indicator in finder) that will tell you the the software is in auto focus mode. good luck

Hans
03-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #11

Af/mf

Have a look here, perhaps you can solve it too:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/168483-...ml#post2302059
Regards,
03-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is an old thread - but hopefully this will help others who find it....

When you mount your lens try this:
Hold in the lens release button and turn the lens until it stops. Don't try to force the lens to go further.
Release the lens release button and then turn the lens back in the mount until you hear/feel the locking pin engage. This will happen with only a tiny fraction of a turn.

This will ensure proper alignment of the auto-focus screw drive mechanism and contact points. If it works, take a close look at the locking pin on the body and the engagement hole on the lens. There is a possibility that you may have worn one of the other so that you are turning the lens too far when you mount it. As the pin is steel and the lens mount is plastic, it is more likely the hole in the mount has become just slightly oval.