Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Viewfinder in bright sunlight

I find seeing the settings at the bottom of the viewfinder hard in sunlight . Any way to fix this problem ?

05-25-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Nothing I know of helps with this. It's one of the few details about the K-r that really sucks.
05-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Nothing I know of helps with this. It's one of the few details about the K-r that really sucks.
Shame , i hoped it was something i just couldn't see in a menu somewhere
05-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Same problem with my K20D. I wear a wide-brim hat. It helps a little. Sometimes I want to regress about 150 years and shoot with a black cloth over the camera and my head.

05-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I wish there were. I seem to remember asking the same thing shortly after I got my K-r. I'm not terribly bothered by it, usually if it's that bright out I don't need to be too worried about a slow shutter. Still, it's something they need to remedy in future models.
05-25-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you use an eyecup that wraps around your eye more, it really helps. I'm really not sure if there's any third party ones out there for the K-r though.
05-25-2012, 06:47 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Maybe?

Hi Darren,
I use this eyecup;
6-in-1 Eyecup for Canon Nikon Sony Pentax Olympus DSLR | eBay
And it fits my K10D and K-7 perfectly. There are 6 adaptors and at least a couple fit various Pentax. Can't guarantee it will fit the KX, but for a buck, it's worth trying! You do have to remove the stock rubber eyepiece to install it.
The eyecup blocks sunlight or backlight from entering the viewfinder completely, when your eye is pressed against it.
The main drawback is that it won't swivel for vertical shots. I also tried a round style eyecup, cured the vertical orientation problem, but wasn't as efficient at blocking all the light. The teardrop shape is best overall.
JMO,
Ron
05-26-2012, 12:43 AM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hi Darren,
I use this eyecup;
6-in-1 Eyecup for Canon Nikon Sony Pentax Olympus DSLR | eBay
And it fits my K10D and K-7 perfectly. There are 6 adaptors and at least a couple fit various Pentax. Can't guarantee it will fit the KX, but for a buck, it's worth trying! You do have to remove the stock rubber eyepiece to install it.
The eyecup blocks sunlight or backlight from entering the viewfinder completely, when your eye is pressed against it.
The main drawback is that it won't swivel for vertical shots. I also tried a round style eyecup, cured the vertical orientation problem, but wasn't as efficient at blocking all the light. The teardrop shape is best overall.
JMO,
Ron
Nice one Ron , i've found similar in the UK so i'll give it a shot . Going to Turkey in 2 weeks where bright sunshine will be the order of the day so hopefully this will help

UK New 6-in-1 EyeCup for Canon Nikon Pentax Olympus Leica Sony Minolta Samsung | eBay

05-29-2012, 12:09 AM   #9

Only, When in video mode, you cant use the viewfinder. Thats my experience anyway. You will be looking at the rear screen, which is impossible to see what is going on, when in sunlight.
05-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Surfwatch Quote
Only, When in video mode, you cant use the viewfinder. Thats my experience anyway. You will be looking at the rear screen, which is impossible to see what is going on, when in sunlight.
Which is precisely what drove me from P&S digital cameras back to a dSLR, and why I won't even consider the K-01. While there are some decent digital P&S cameras out there with optical viewfinders, there aren't many and it wasn't a huge jump in cost from there to a dSLR when I already had several good compatible lens from my film SLR days.
06-29-2012, 03:47 AM   #11

To see the settings i usually block the exposure and cover the front of the lens with my hand, I can then see the setting in the VF(view finder).
I also jacked up the brightness of the screen to the max (usually dimmed a bit, also helps a tiny bit with battery life).
Obvious but may help someone