Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Glenrothes , Fife
Photos: Albums
Posts: 27
Viewfinder in bright sunlight

I find seeing the settings at the bottom of the viewfinder hard in sunlight . Any way to fix this problem ?

05-25-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member
Philoslothical's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,723
Nothing I know of helps with this. It's one of the few details about the K-r that really sucks.
05-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Glenrothes , Fife
Photos: Albums
Posts: 27
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Nothing I know of helps with this. It's one of the few details about the K-r that really sucks.
Shame , i hoped it was something i just couldn't see in a menu somewhere
05-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
Same problem with my K20D. I wear a wide-brim hat. It helps a little. Sometimes I want to regress about 150 years and shoot with a black cloth over the camera and my head.

05-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member
Philoslothical's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,723
I wish there were. I seem to remember asking the same thing shortly after I got my K-r. I'm not terribly bothered by it, usually if it's that bright out I don't need to be too worried about a slow shutter. Still, it's something they need to remedy in future models.
05-25-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,545
If you use an eyecup that wraps around your eye more, it really helps. I'm really not sure if there's any third party ones out there for the K-r though.
05-25-2012, 06:47 PM   #7
Site Supporter
rbefly's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Denver, Colorado
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,030
Maybe?

Hi Darren,
I use this eyecup;
6-in-1 Eyecup for Canon Nikon Sony Pentax Olympus DSLR | eBay
And it fits my K10D and K-7 perfectly. There are 6 adaptors and at least a couple fit various Pentax. Can't guarantee it will fit the KX, but for a buck, it's worth trying! You do have to remove the stock rubber eyepiece to install it.
The eyecup blocks sunlight or backlight from entering the viewfinder completely, when your eye is pressed against it.
The main drawback is that it won't swivel for vertical shots. I also tried a round style eyecup, cured the vertical orientation problem, but wasn't as efficient at blocking all the light. The teardrop shape is best overall.
JMO,
Ron
05-26-2012, 12:43 AM - 1 Like   #8
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Glenrothes , Fife
Photos: Albums
Posts: 27
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hi Darren,
I use this eyecup;
6-in-1 Eyecup for Canon Nikon Sony Pentax Olympus DSLR | eBay
And it fits my K10D and K-7 perfectly. There are 6 adaptors and at least a couple fit various Pentax. Can't guarantee it will fit the KX, but for a buck, it's worth trying! You do have to remove the stock rubber eyepiece to install it.
The eyecup blocks sunlight or backlight from entering the viewfinder completely, when your eye is pressed against it.
The main drawback is that it won't swivel for vertical shots. I also tried a round style eyecup, cured the vertical orientation problem, but wasn't as efficient at blocking all the light. The teardrop shape is best overall.
JMO,
Ron
Nice one Ron , i've found similar in the UK so i'll give it a shot . Going to Turkey in 2 weeks where bright sunshine will be the order of the day so hopefully this will help

UK New 6-in-1 EyeCup for Canon Nikon Pentax Olympus Leica Sony Minolta Samsung | eBay

05-29-2012, 12:09 AM   #9
New Member
Surfwatch's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bay of Plenty
Posts: 16
Only, When in video mode, you cant use the viewfinder. Thats my experience anyway. You will be looking at the rear screen, which is impossible to see what is going on, when in sunlight.
05-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #10
Site Supporter
JimJohnson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lake Superior - Michigan
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,164
QuoteOriginally posted by Surfwatch Quote
Only, When in video mode, you cant use the viewfinder. Thats my experience anyway. You will be looking at the rear screen, which is impossible to see what is going on, when in sunlight.
Which is precisely what drove me from P&S digital cameras back to a dSLR, and why I won't even consider the K-01. While there are some decent digital P&S cameras out there with optical viewfinders, there aren't many and it wasn't a huge jump in cost from there to a dSLR when I already had several good compatible lens from my film SLR days.
06-29-2012, 03:47 AM   #11
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 16
To see the settings i usually block the exposure and cover the front of the lens with my hand, I can then see the setting in the VF(view finder).
I also jacked up the brightness of the screen to the max (usually dimmed a bit, also helps a tiny bit with battery life).
Obvious but may help someone
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, k-r, kr, pentax k-r, sunlight, viewfinder
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blue cast in bright sunlight with AWB Andrew Crouch Pentax K-5 9 03-21-2012 09:24 AM
Not Work-Safe Sunlight... JFN Post Your Photos! 10 02-16-2012 10:45 AM
Shooting Video In Bright Sunlight ggray Video and Pentax HDSLRs 10 08-05-2010 09:57 PM
Bright Viewfinder, is it the camera or lens plays a part as well? Reportage Pentax DSLR Discussion 13 01-05-2010 02:09 PM
Harsh bright sunlight doesn't have to be a handicap NaClH2O Post Your Photos! 5 08-15-2007 03:06 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:04 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top