Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2012, 05:39 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Kr in a hot car (hey, that rhymes :) )

We've been having a bit of a heat wave for the last few days, and I was wondering about the affect of leaving my Kr in the car all day. It can get pretty warm in a car in the sun, and I don't want to kill my camera.

And the odd thing is, only a short while after this first occurred to me, I went to get my camera from the car (which was very hot), turned it on and the screen was almost white. I could still see the menus and such, it was as if the contrast and brightness had been turned way up. I immediately turned it off and back on again and it was fine, with no problems since.

05-31-2012, 06:07 AM   #2
Pentaxian

If you keep your camera bag on the floor of the car, shaded from direct sunlight, and with the windows open a tiny bit I think you'll be okay but I am only guessing. The camera manual should list a storage and operating temperature. Stick a small thermometer in the bag to check temperature.
05-31-2012, 06:41 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Camera Cooler

I always carry a camera sized cooler with no ice that is kept at room temp. When I have to leave my gear in a vehicle, I just slip the camera body, extra batteries and other heat sensitive items (like film in my BD [Before Digital] days) in the cooler in a place out direct sunlight. It insulates the camera from the heat of a closed car, keeps it between 70-80 F for several hours and I have never seen it exceed the 105 F temp limit of most digital cameras. Easy & inexpensive way to keep your Kr cooler!
05-31-2012, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
The "L" in LCD stands for "Liquid". LCD displays operate within a wide range of temps, but there are limits above or below which damage will occur. The best rule of thumb is if the exposure to heat or cold is too much for you, it is also likely too much for the camera. And it isn't just the ambient temperature, but the duration. My body (meaning me, not the camera) has been exposed to temps high enough to cook a roast and cold enough to keep ice cream hard - but not for very long. Keep to the same limits with your electronic gear.

05-31-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
Banned

Exactly how hot can it get in a car?

Depends upon what region one is in; and also for now we are just writting of electronic items and not living organisms.

But it does not take a place such as Las Vegas in summer or Southern California to destroy ones electronic gear - naturally including cameras. I've seen it get hot enough up in the Northern portion of the united staes to almost effect electronic connections (btw cars are built to compensate for this one).

In other words, and as also mentioned in an earlier posting... Leave a camera in any car long term in hot weather and roll the dice. It can indeed permenantly effect the lcd and also items such as allignment of an image chip; even the lens elements themselves. And unfortunately it does not matter as to what location of a vehicle. I've seen perfectly shaded areas of a car still get hot enough to cause damage. Also, a cooler only works for a limited time - one could almost get a one hunded gallon aquarium and fill it with ice, then insulate it. Guess what - all that would be melted in a few short hours
05-31-2012, 08:14 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well today it was 108 - its Arizona, and its a dry heat (but the pavement in the parking lot can get awful soft). Car interior temperatures here can get to be 140+ inside (and that is for a light colored vehicle, just think of a dark color vehicle). I would like to bring my camera gear with me, but this is just way too hot in my opinion, and I can't bring it in to the office - as there is a no camera policy (and yes even cell phones).

06-01-2012, 08:59 AM   #7
Pentaxian

@Joe-Nation, please clarify "heat wave". Depending on where you live that could mean anything from hot temperatures to "oh my god the air is about to ignite!" What's the forecast high temp?

Last edited by DeadJohn; 06-01-2012 at 02:42 PM.
06-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, I guess a UK heatwave is not quite an Arizona heat wave, but it can get well into the 90s and top 100 on occasion. Certainly hot enough to get my car too hot to be in for five minutes.
06-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #9
Pentaxian

At under 100F the risk is minimal as long as you leave your camera bag on the floor of the car (not a seat nor the trunk/boot). As a precaution, maybe put a thermometer there on a hot day to confirm. You probably won't see the temp at the floor exceed 120F. Occasional storage above the 104F max. operating temp. shouldn't damage the camera, just try to let it gradually cool down before using it.
06-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Joe Nation Quote
Well, I guess a UK heatwave is not quite an Arizona heat wave, but it can get well into the 90s and top 100 on occasion. Certainly hot enough to get my car too hot to be in for five minutes.
In that case, I would even bring my equipment with me. I did not realize you were across the pond. I should have known as this Forum is very international.

06-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

K20D manual, p.4: "Do not subject the camera to high temperatures or high humidity. Do not leave the camera in a vehicle, as the temperatures can get very high." It's official, eh?

My dad died before dSLRs appeared but he left his film cameras (with film) in his car around Los Angeles and in southern California-Arizona desert areas. He used insulated coolers with frozen Blue Ice to keep them cool. I don't know if affordable portable electric coolers with thermostats exist, but if one could be set to around 24c / 75f (and NOT draining the car battery!) is would do just fine. Hmmm, I wonder if a roof-full of solar-electric panels would power that? Around Phoenix, maybe. Around London, maybe not.
06-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #12

I was just thinking this topic yesterday. I would like to bring my camera with me more often when I am in and around NYC while working. Due to my work, sometimes I gain access to buildings and areas not normally open to the public and have some insane views/scenes, etc. I'd love to have my own camera handy (I carry my work camera but it's not maintained very well at all). At times I may have to leave mine in the car.

Technically the trunk would be better. There is no SHG (solar heat gain) or heat conduction which is the main reason the interior of a car gets extremely hot while sitting out in the sun. The trunk is insulated to a degree: carpeted and out of direct sun (no windows). IMHO, in a thick insulated bag I'd think the camera would be fine for a half day or more. [Keep in mind I am referring to southern NY area. This is no way a comparison to Arizona.]
06-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
I'd suggest putting a digital thermometer in that trunk that holds a min/max temp, and park the car in a typical sunny location on one of the NY 'normal' hot days before testing your thoughts on an expensive camera system.

I personally would like to see what you report back to this thread.
06-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I'd suggest putting a digital thermometer in that trunk that holds a min/max temp, and park the car in a typical sunny location on one of the NY 'normal' hot days before testing your thoughts on an expensive camera system.

I personally would like to see what you report back to this thread.
Don't get me wrong: It will still be warm in the trunk, but I believe it will be far less than the inside of the car's cabin.

Worth a try though. In the next couple week's I will test it out.
06-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #15
Pentaxian

If you're going to test, please compare the trunk and floor temperatures. I'm curious to know which spot stays cooler.