Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #1

Flash Question

I was just swapping out camera bags and I found my old Minolta Auto 200x Flash that I used on one of my old 35mm cameras.
I'm just wondering, before I try it out, if this flash is compatible with my new K-r, and if it could damage it if I try it out.

Thanks in advance.

06-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
Pentaxian

You could definitely fry you're camera to a non working state. DON'T TRY IT OUT!!!
06-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

If you'Ve got a multi-meter with DC scale, you can see what the maximum voltage is on the base contacts after the flash has been powered up. Pentax has never said what the maximum DC voltage their digital cameras will take, but the consensus on this board from various discussions seems to be 12 volts. Canon limits the voltage to their digital cameras to 4 volts or something like that. Some older flashes have been measured up to 70 volts on their contacts. There is a website by one of the PF members that discusses this parameter. don't have the link to the website at the moment but shouldn't be hard to find.
06-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

This is the link. The Minolta Auto 200x should be OK, according to that page.

06-06-2012, 03:49 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
You could definitely fry you're camera to a non working state. DON'T TRY IT OUT!!!
Thanks for info.
06-06-2012, 03:52 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
If you'Ve got a multi-meter with DC scale, you can see what the maximum voltage is on the base contacts after the flash has been powered up. Pentax has never said what the maximum DC voltage their digital cameras will take, but they're consensus on this board from various discussions seems to be 12 volts. Canon limits the voltage to their digital cameras to 4 volts or something like that. Some older flashes have been measured up to 70 volts on their contacts. There is a website by one of the PF members that discusses this parameter. don't have the link to the website at the moment but shouldn't be hard to find.
Sounds like it's not worth taking a chance on ruining a new camera over.
I think I'll just put it back with the 35mm and get one specifically for my K-r.

Thanks

Last edited by TheBear; 06-07-2012 at 12:58 PM.
06-06-2012, 03:55 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
This is the link. The Minolta Auto 200x should be OK, according to that page.
I don't think it's worth the risk.
Thanks very much for the information.
06-06-2012, 04:53 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TheBear Quote
I don't think it's worth the risk.
IMHO, it is definately not worth the risk of just blindly sticking it on there and testing it. However, the only flash I own and use with my K-r is an old Minolta 132x. As others have posted, it boils down to trigger voltage. I did use a DC volt meter to ensure it was under 7v (At the time I read conflicting warnings from so I went with the lowest.) Turns out, it was less than 2v... so really no issue for me.

Meter it and see.