Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2012, 06:41 AM   #1

K- r e-dial

Hello all.

I know this is a highly talked about topic. I have read these threads:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-r/138906-pentax-k-r-e-dial.html
&
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-r/119569-k-r-e-dial-responds-slowly.html

..which tells me this is a common problem among k-r owners. I am not comfortable spraying the contact cleaner as others have pointed out improves functionality, temporarily. Definitely not up for taking camera apart.

My only other option is to send it in for service. I was given this camera on Christmas day 2011 from my wife. It's only been a lil over six months. After this past weekend I have ~4000 shots taken. I was apprehensive and in denial for a few months until I just could not get the aperture down (wide open). It would only increase regardless of dial direction. I had an event this weekend and did not have any issues until later in the day. I did have/do have a K10d as a back up which will be good while the k-r is being sent in/repaired.

Kinda sucks being so new but I have to say this is the only problem I've had with any of my Pentax gear. Any luck on a permanent fix from Pentax? Anyone send it to Pentax for this repair? Issues? Has anyone else sent it in and then had to subsequently send it in again later?? Looking for some incite.. Thanks in advance.

06-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaywes Quote
I am not comfortable spraying the contact cleaner as others have pointed out improves functionality, temporarily.
My best advice to you is, get over it, get some clean drying contact cleaner, and give it a squirt. Then roll the wheel one way for a few minutes, then the other. Repeat if necessary, but it probably won't be. For many people this is a permanent fix. I have not seen a single post about anyone running into trouble with this method, doing damage, or any other negative effect at all.

Realistically, it's probably the same thing CRIS will do if you ship it off to them, but you'll be paying a lot more in shipping than the cleaner is worth, and you'll be without your camera for the better part of a month.
06-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I bought my K-r last March (2011) and it was only late April that this problem cropped up. I was reluctant to try either spraying or taking the camera apart as we were going to New Orleans and even in P or the pictorgraph modes was better than not having the camera. Last night I sprayed it with the contact cleaner and it now functions properly. We will see how long that lasts but I still have the cleaner. I had little fear of spraying too much as it was an almost empty can when I got it. Thing to remember is the contact cleaner is made to clean contacts.

I wished I had done it prior to our trip to New Orleans but without knowing 100% that it would solve the problem I did not want to do it before the trip. I also would not have sprayed for the first time before an important shot either. But if a second time is necessary I now would not hestitate to do so. As I am not the most careful person my wife suggested covering the camera with plastic wrap which took about two seconds.

Finding out how to fix the skipping edial on the K-r has made all the time looking at lenses I am not going to buy worth my time here I agree with the above post and give it a shot. Just don't do it the night before an important shoot unless you really need the camera working.

Last edited by redrockcoulee; 06-13-2012 at 11:23 AM. Reason: added 2011
06-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
I'll chime in that I got my K-r the same time as you did. And my problem showed up much sooner (about 2 months - lucky me?). I used the CRC brand "QD Electronic Cleaner" (the label says quick drying formula - probably where the QD comes from, and plastic safe). It fixed the issue in seconds and has not returned. As I have grown more comfortable with my K-r's controls, I find myself using the e-dial quite frequently.

My only words of advice are to remove the battery and not go hog wild with the spray. A couple small bursts directly into the opening above and below the dial is typically all you need. While not really necessary, I also removed the lens and re-installed the body cap for this project.

The other thing is your camera is still under warranty. If it doesn't work you are at most out a few bucks and can still send in the camera. So long as you don't go hog wild there is little chance CRIS will even know you tried it. No residue is left behind.

06-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #5

Original Poster
Ok. Thanks guys. This is good to know.
06-14-2012, 06:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My Kr is about a year old and I have a small issue with the e dial, I can get it to where I want it sooner or later. I tried the rotating the dial a many times thing and that will make it work for a while. I think it's time for the contact cleaner.

Hans
06-15-2012, 07:21 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I'll chime in that I got my K-r the same time as you did. And my problem showed up much sooner (about 2 months - lucky me?). I used the CRC brand "QD Electronic Cleaner" (the label says quick drying formula - probably where the QD comes from, and plastic safe). It fixed the issue in seconds and has not returned. As I have grown more comfortable with my K-r's controls, I find myself using the e-dial quite frequently.

My only words of advice are to remove the battery and not go hog wild with the spray. A couple small bursts directly into the opening above and below the dial is typically all you need. While not really necessary, I also removed the lens and re-installed the body cap for this project.

The other thing is your camera is still under warranty. If it doesn't work you are at most out a few bucks and can still send in the camera. So long as you don't go hog wild there is little chance CRIS will even know you tried it. No residue is left behind.
Just to clarify... Is the contact cleaner method done by simply spraying the e-dial externally, or by taking the casing apat and actually spraying the e-dial internally? I just got my camera out of repair for the same issue, but have little doubt it will come up again.

06-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoaggie Quote
Just to clarify... Is the contact cleaner method done by simply spraying the e-dial externally, or by taking the casing apat and actually spraying the e-dial internally? I just got my camera out of repair for the same issue, but have little doubt it will come up again.
You give it a little directed squirt into the slot above and below the e-dial itself, so that it gets into the mechanism. Then rotating the dial for a few minutes in each direction helps the cleaner to dissolve the excess grease causing the problem, moving it away from the contacts.
06-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #9

Original Poster
Follow the links in my first post for more info. As far as I know, it is sprayed into the small space at the top and bottom of the e-dial. No diss-assembly required.
06-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #10

Thanks guys. I'm embarrassed to say it, but I followed an old link instructing me in the disassembly method. I probably shouldn't have tried it at 2am... I ended up breaking the speaker wire, and the CPU, main flex circuit, and e-dial assembly were wrecked in the process. Thank goodness for extended warranties. The fixed it with no questions asked. I have definitely learned from my mistakes though. It cost me 6 weeks without my camera while it was out for repairs. Deffinately wasn't my finest hour :-/
06-16-2012, 05:56 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Thanks guys. I'm embarrassed to say it, but I followed an old link instructing me in the disassembly method. I probably shouldn't have tried it at 2am... I ended up breaking the speaker wire, and the CPU, main flex circuit, and e-dial assembly were wrecked in the process. Thank goodness for extended warranties. The fixed it with no questions asked. I have definitely learned from my mistakes though. It cost me 6 weeks without my camera while it was out for repairs. Deffinately wasn't my finest hour :-/
moral of the story- know your limits.
Education is always valuable, but never cheap. Too bad they don't offer low interest rate student loans for the school of hard knocks. I would have been a frequent borrower in my younger days.
06-18-2012, 11:20 PM   #12

I had the same issue and spent less than $5 at Wally world for a can of cleaner. Seriously, it took like 10 seconds to fix my kr with this. I've had to respray a couple times. It big deal. Easy fix!
06-18-2012, 11:20 PM   #13

I mean it's no big deal.
06-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #14

Photos: Albums
I got mine the same day as you and started having problems within 2 months. Like you I was afraid to try the contact cleaner so I sent it for service. I also wanted to get the lens focus calibrated. Since sending it in in February 2011, I've had no issues.
07-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #15
Forum Member

Clean it do not affraid of it is very easy here I share this video that i made