Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #1

Is this the right hood

Will this fit the 18-55 that comes with the K-R kit?

52mm Rubber Lens Hood for Wide & Tele Focus & Standard For Nikon Pentax 18-55mm | eBay

07-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It would work, but what you really want is something like this...

Replace PH-RBA 52mm Lens hood for Pentax 18-55mm I / II | eBay
07-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks...ordering it right now...
07-07-2012, 05:33 PM   #4

Original Poster
BTW, what do you think of the lens caps with the leash? I noticed after I bought the hood that some of them came with one of those...they look convenient but wonder if they get in the way alot?

07-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I have several lens caps like those. I cut the leash off as soon as I got them. Once I put the hood on the lens the cap goes in my pocket. I tend to do a lot of close-ups and a dangling cap is always in the way.
07-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote

That hood will work, but it won't snap into place like a genuine Pentax oem PH-RBA52 hood will. Those generic hoods fit the bayonet and rotate, but it is also easy for them to rotate the opposite direction and fall off. Kind of a loosey-goosey thing. Not the worst thing in the world, but not really like hoods are supposed to fit either.

I bought a couple of these. They are at the post office waiting for me to pick up the package. I am hoping that they will work well for all my 49mm's. Hoping that they snap into place, but won't know for sure until I get them.

MATIN Camera Lens Hood 49mm(Can be equipped backwards) | eBay
07-08-2012, 04:28 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
That hood will work, but it won't snap into place like a genuine Pentax oem PH-RBA52 hood will. Those generic hoods fit the bayonet and rotate, but it is also easy for them to rotate the opposite direction and fall off. Kind of a loosey-goosey thing. Not the worst thing in the world, but not really like hoods are supposed to fit either.

I bought a couple of these. They are at the post office waiting for me to pick up the package. I am hoping that they will work well for all my 49mm's. Hoping that they snap into place, but won't know for sure until I get them.

MATIN Camera Lens Hood 49mm(Can be equipped backwards) | eBay
I bought a generic PH-RBA replacement and it snaps into place just fine.
07-08-2012, 08:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I bought a generic PH-RBA replacement and it snaps into place just fine.
I bought one too. It didn't snap into place. I also have the oem. It does. I'm not trying to give anyone any misinformation. I am just relating my experience. Perhaps you could be more specific about the one that you bought.

07-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
I bought one too. It didn't snap into place. I also have the oem. It does. I'm not trying to give anyone any misinformation. I am just relating my experience. Perhaps you could be more specific about the one that you bought.
This is the hood I bought two years ago. It's a Fotodiox knockoff of the PH-RB and it is still being sold for the same price.

Lens Hood for Pentax Ph-Rba DA 18-55mm Lens as 38741 | eBay
07-08-2012, 09:40 AM   #10

Original Poster
This is the hood I bought two years ago. It's a Fotodiox knockoff of the PH-RB and it is still being sold for the same price.

Lens Hood for Pentax Ph-Rba DA 18-55mm Lens as 38741 | eBay

Uh oh...maybe I should have gotten that one...oh well, for 3.95, I'll gamble...if it don't work, I'll get the one above...
07-09-2012, 10:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Update on my end. I received the Matin hoods in the ebay link above. They are pretty sweet. The threaded bayonet ring is aluminum. The hard plastic hood rotates and snaps into place. These hoods might be good alternatives for people looking for odd sizes, and/or like the convenience of reversing it for storage.
07-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #12

Original Poster

Got the hood today....fits perfect....thanks again.