Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I found better prices now than I paid for my K5, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying the heck out of it!
I paid almost twice what they are going for now, and I don't regret it.

07-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Why would you assume that without knowing the facts?

So I guess Fry's (a very reputable electronics chain) is scam artist's also? This was this year -> https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/183227-crazy-price-kr-frys.html

As for $515 for a used Kr on ebay, I hope you got a fast prime lens for that price...
QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
OK then. The bottom line is that you may have paid $75-$100 more than what you might have been able to get used as well. If I had $75-$100 for everytime that I have wasted $75-$100 in my lifetime, I would sleep just the same.
I'm not assuming anything, which is why I still want to go check it out myself.
But come on, a small local shop like this isnt the same as Frys, which most likely gets lower prices from the manufacturer due to the volume they sell at. So they dont lose as much profit when they have clearances.

A random store like this doesnt seem to have the capital for something like that. And plus it doesnt say its a sale, it just says $299.
Maybe living in only cities my whole life has made me too suspicious lol. Also recently experienced a bait and switch scam back in HK (didnt fall for it but still, sheesh some people just have no morals)

And yea I figured $515 is a bit high for a used K-r. But I couldnt find a WHITE used K-r for anything lower. And I watched a white K-x auction end at 405 the week prior.
New white K-r also seem to still sell at retailers (who still have them in stock) for higher than their black/blue/red counterparts. Its stupid, but people like white (including my gf). Is $515 really that bad for a like new condition K-r kit?

I understand things get cheaper over time, my Lumix G1 goes for $200 now when I bought it for $600+
It just hurts to see a lower price the very next day lol >.<

But like I said in my original post, I'm mostly suspicious. Not really as mad as some of you guys make me seem :|
07-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No it isn't. In my humble opinion, the k-x is selling for about 300-400 used even on this forum. The k-r should definitely sell for 400-500 used, and 600 new.
07-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PandaSPUR Quote
I'm not assuming anything, which is why I still want to go check it out myself.
But come on, a small local shop like this isnt the same as Frys, which most likely gets lower prices from the manufacturer due to the volume they sell at. So they dont lose as much profit when they have clearances.
If you look closely at the Fry's ad, they were selling open box and demos, so those were "used" also...

07-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #20

Original Poster
Hah I didnt even bother to look, nice catch. I know Frys does actually have really good sales from time to time (I believe there was a T3i kit on sale for 600 a little bit ago).

This further enforces my mentality of "you get what you paid for" and "if it looks too good to be true, it probably is"

I'll still try and drop by that other shop though. If its legit, they may have other things I'm interested in, at good prices.. lol
07-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PandaSPUR Quote
I'll still try and drop by that other shop though. If its legit, they may have other things I'm interested in, at good prices.. lol
Don't get your hopes up on that
07-25-2012, 11:28 AM   #22

Original Poster
haha, I'll be happier either way. Either I'll know I didnt waste an extra $200 or I'll find a good deal on something else.
Curiosity is a b_____ though, I cant stop wondering.
07-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would not buy from a place that uses the charger voltage as the main selling point.

07-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #24

I got my K-r brand new with dual lens kit for $450 on Ebay.....and this was not long after they first came out. So I obviously was extremely lucky to have that slip under the radar. On the other hand, I am patiently obsessive about monitoring such deals.....whether on Ebay or other websites.
07-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #25
JFN
Veteran Member

Probably selling out the last units, I recall there was a similar K-r deal on Fry's some months ago (I'm not in the US but I read about it).
07-25-2012, 12:43 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JFN Quote
Probably selling out the last units, I recall there was a similar K-r deal on Fry's some months ago (I'm not in the US but I read about it).
It is the sale from some months ago -- linked ad is from April. I assume if they were selling off their demos it was because that was the last of them...
07-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Grey market kx demo model, may not have charger/battery ..... the guys in that area are mostly a pretty notorious lot
my best guess anyway (the international warranty sign is a giveaway)

Edit - the fact that he is still sitting on a kx in the store that long after it was discontinued is an indicator of what it will be like when you go in.
07-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #28
JFN
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Grey market kx demo model, may not have charger/battery ..... the guys in that area are mostly a pretty notorious lot
my best guess anyway (the international warranty sign is a giveaway)

Edit - the fact that he is still sitting on a kx in the store that long after it was discontinued is an indicator of what it will be like when you go in.
It's a K-r, and the mention of voltage of charger + international warranty, sounds like they're aiming at selling the units to tourists... maybe they often have bargain hunters from Europe there shopping, I can understand this, already with the currency rate EUR->USD, and then no EU sales tax (that can be as high as 25% depending on country) shopping in the US is a great deal for us on this side of the pond...

07-26-2012, 05:41 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JFN Quote
It's a K-r, and the mention of voltage of charger + international warranty, sounds like they're aiming at selling the units to tourists... maybe they often have bargain hunters from Europe there shopping, I can understand this, already with the currency rate EUR->USD, and then no EU sales tax (that can be as high as 25% depending on country) shopping in the US is a great deal for us on this side of the pond...

the one on the right is a Kx, sign could be for either.

I know the shops in that area, not sure I'd by from any of them, there are some pretty sleazy dealers there (nothing compared to the brooklyn dudes though)
the norm if it is underpriced like that is oh you'll need a battery and a charger too....

Of course with the Kr and Kx both discontinued it could also just be a demo blow out
or refurb product from Pentax
07-26-2012, 06:42 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-x uses AAs, it doesn't have a charger. The K-r is a different story.