Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2012, 07:08 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The K-x uses AAs, it doesn't have a charger. The K-r is a different story.
the KX is worth far less than the KR now though so that kind of price makes sense if they are still sitting on stock (or like i said for demos which is a highly likely scenario. nowhere on the sign does it say New in Box

07-26-2012, 07:11 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
the KX is worth far less than the KR now though so that kind of price makes sense if they are still sitting on stock (or like i said for demos which is a highly likely scenario. nowhere on the sign does it say New in Box
Even a demo model, provided it is in good shape, of the k-x should be a bargain at $300. Most people are selling their well used k-x's on this forum for about 300-400.
07-26-2012, 07:22 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Even a demo model, provided it is in good shape, of the k-x should be a bargain at $300. Most people are selling their well used k-x's on this forum for about 300-400.
my experience of demo models is they are rarely in great shape. Speaking as someone who sold a ton of them over the years. a retailer sitting on an old demo will be a lot more aggressive about clearing it as well versus one of us selling of kit
07-26-2012, 07:29 AM   #34
Pentaxian

my experience of demo models is they are rarely in great shape. Speaking as someone who sold a ton of them over the years. a retailer sitting on an old demo will be a lot more aggressive about clearing it as well versus one of us selling of kit
I suppose that is true - the Fry k-r clearance were of demo models, and some were in terrible shape, but some were in good shape. It's a gamble.

07-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PandaSPUR Quote
So I recently won a used White K-r on Ebay for $515 after shipping. Its a gift to my gf.

I told one of my friends about this and she shows me this...

As you can imagine... I'm a bit pissed, confused, and mostly suspicious.
Its a store in NYC, on 57th and 6th ave. My friend doesnt remember the name of it. But it seems like one of those small mom and pop electronics stores.

My theories:
1. False advertisement. The ad only says "Pentax DSLR." They could be selling body only, used, different model, etc.
2. Bait and switch. They dont have the camera in stock, and will convince people to buy something else more expensive.
3. Pentax is just that damn unpopular in the city, they need to get rid of their stock.

What do you guys think?

I'm gonna try to drop by the store after work today and see whats up.....

I know someone who tried to buy an IPOD from a similar store. what is not shown is that you have to purchase all sorts of accessories, that are added onto the product advertised, but which are not shown in the price,

By the time you inflate the price with the accessories package that you don't want, you are already paying more than you would on a legitimate site.
07-26-2012, 07:48 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I know someone who tried to buy an IPOD from a similar store. what is not shown is that you have to purchase all sorts of accessories, that are added onto the product advertised, but which are not shown in the price,

By the time you inflate the price with the accessories package that you don't want, you are already paying more than you would on a legitimate site.
that was my basic point. I've been in these shops and it's been like that since film days. some of these guys make crazy eddie's (remember them New yorkers) look like bh photo
07-26-2012, 07:49 AM   #37
JFN
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I suppose that is true - the Fry k-r clearance were of demo models, and some were in terrible shape, but some were in good shape. It's a gamble.

K-r seems to be a gamble no matter what, I bought a brand new K-r + 18-55 kit lens package from pixmania in France december last year, after 1 1/2 months it broke down (something with the aperture connector on the lens mount), and now the built in flash has stopped working. After having it sent it for the first problem, I hesitate sending it in for the flash as I was without the camera for 40+ days... (though this is what got me started shooting film instead, which i do 97% of the time now, so maybe I should thank them instead!!!)...
07-26-2012, 08:13 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
that was my basic point. I've been in these shops and it's been like that since film days. some of these guys make crazy eddie's (remember them New yorkers) look like bh photo
Yeah, it wasn't just Crazy Eddie's prices that were insane! Did he ever get out of the can?

On a different note, someone just pointed out to me that Adorama is in the ground floor of a loft building that I used to rent in the 80's. New York has changed a lot over the years, but the little electronic shops that the OP is concerned about are still around. Same in SF. They prey on uninformed tourists. Personally I would stay away and not give them a second thought. There are no bargains to be had by dealing with them - just headaches.

07-26-2012, 08:46 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
Yeah, it wasn't just Crazy Eddie's prices that were insane! Did he ever get out of the can?

On a different note, someone just pointed out to me that Adorama is in the ground floor of a loft building that I used to rent in the 80's. New York has changed a lot over the years, but the little electronic shops that the OP is concerned about are still around. Same in SF. They prey on uninformed tourists. Personally I would stay away and not give them a second thought. There are no bargains to be had by dealing with them - just headaches.
LOL yep not only did he get out he tried to resurrect the company back around 2000. Only thing i ever bought from him was a set of rabbit ears for a friends little tv when i stayed with him in the village
we have our variant on these stores running down the main street (Yonge Street). I never buy from them for the most part. Aden camera is one of them and i do get pricing there but go to my dealer of preference
When I worked selling electronics at Eatons across the street from one of the Gray market guys he was a huge PITA
07-27-2012, 04:36 AM   #40
Pentaxian

LOL yep not only did he get out he tried to resurrect the company back around 2000. Only thing i ever bought from him was a set of rabbit ears for a friends little tv when i stayed with him in the village
we have our variant on these stores running down the main street (Yonge Street). I never buy from them for the most part. Aden camera is one of them and i do get pricing there but go to my dealer of preference
When I worked selling electronics at Eatons across the street from one of the Gray market guys he was a huge PITA
I think Aden is a grey zone between these guys and a the real dealers. I too go in there often, but have never bought there, usually, snide my favorite dealer retired and sold out to Henry's I go to downtown camera.

We have lost too many little guys in Toronto over the last 5 years
07-30-2012, 06:30 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I think Aden is a grey zone between these guys and a the real dealers. I too go in there often, but have never bought there, usually, snide my favorite dealer retired and sold out to Henry's I go to downtown camera.

We have lost too many little guys in Toronto over the last 5 years
henrys bought most of that corner out, i'm glad Downtown has resisted. downtown is my first choice too. I stop at Aden but rarely buy there. Vistek is my alternate because on of my ex employees from when i was still in retail is there and he will give me a good price (my DA50 will be 229 when it arrives)