Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2012, 08:07 AM   #1

Cheer me up.. Tell me this is a scam, $300 K-r??

So I recently won a used White K-r on Ebay for $515 after shipping. Its a gift to my gf.

I told one of my friends about this and she shows me this...

As you can imagine... I'm a bit pissed, confused, and mostly suspicious.
Its a store in NYC, on 57th and 6th ave. My friend doesnt remember the name of it. But it seems like one of those small mom and pop electronics stores.

My theories:
1. False advertisement. The ad only says "Pentax DSLR." They could be selling body only, used, different model, etc.
2. Bait and switch. They dont have the camera in stock, and will convince people to buy something else more expensive.
3. Pentax is just that damn unpopular in the city, they need to get rid of their stock.

What do you guys think?

I'm gonna try to drop by the store after work today and see whats up.....

07-25-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
57th and 6th ave in manhattan? I haven't been there... but let me know.

#1 is unlikely - or at least, it won't catch us internet savvy folks. It shouldn't be #2 since there's two k-r's right there.

#3 is possible. The k-r is discontinued, and they might have like 2-3 left that just isn't selling.

Side note - 16.1 MP? That's gotta be for the item above it right?
07-25-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The blue one on the right is a K-x - maybe the sign is for that one?
07-25-2012, 08:25 AM   #4

Original Poster
Could be for the K-x.. still a pretty good price though, unless its body only.
I looked around on google maps, I think the store is called "55th Digital"

Not many reviews for it, seems kinda sketchy.

07-25-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Yeah, even the k-x (with a kit lens) for $300 is a great deal. Unless it's used in some way...

I'd love to go, but it's pretty far from my work to get there during lunch, and I don't have time after work today.
07-25-2012, 08:32 AM   #6

Original Poster
Meh same issue here. I work in NJ, and the place closes at 7. Not sure if I can even make it.

I wish my friend never showed me this =.= Ignorant bliss wouldve been fine with me lol
07-25-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Let's hope someone is nearer to it!

If not, I'll stop by on Friday or Saturday...

07-25-2012, 09:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PandaSPUR Quote
So I recently won a used White K-r on Ebay for $515 after shipping. Its a gift to my gf.

I told one of my friends about this and she shows me this...

As you can imagine... I'm a bit pissed, confused, and mostly suspicious.
Its a store in NYC, on 57th and 6th ave. My friend doesnt remember the name of it. But it seems like one of those small mom and pop electronics stores.

My theories:
1. False advertisement. The ad only says "Pentax DSLR." They could be selling body only, used, different model, etc.
2. Bait and switch. They dont have the camera in stock, and will convince people to buy something else more expensive.
3. Pentax is just that damn unpopular in the city, they need to get rid of their stock.

What do you guys think?

I'm gonna try to drop by the store after work today and see whats up.....
I don't understand your post. Did you win the ebay auction from the store that is in the picture and you are pissed because you paid more than what they are advertizing it for in the window?

AFAIK in many cases stores like this deal in grey market and refurbished mechandise. They have very little knowledge about the products that they sell because they only get what they can when it becomes available through the grey market or refurbished channels. Do you know if they are a Pentax authorized dealer? I would make sure that you are getting a Pentax USA warranty with your purchase. Then I would buy the $20 extended warranty from someplace like Adorama or BH. Good luck. Hope it works out.
07-25-2012, 09:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The sensor costs extra.
07-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Aren't the stores in that area notorious for their scams? They will probably try to charge you extra for the battery, cables, strap, and box.
07-25-2012, 09:14 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
I don't understand your post. Did you win the ebay auction from the store that is in the picture and you are pissed because you paid more than what they are advertizing it for in the window?

AFAIK in many cases stores like this deal in grey market and refurbished mechandise. They have very little knowledge about the products that they sell because they only get what they can when it becomes available through the grey market or refurbished channels. Do you know if they are a Pentax authorized dealer? I would make sure that you are getting a Pentax USA warranty with your purchase. Then I would buy the $20 extended warranty from someplace like Adorama or BH. Good luck. Hope it works out.
I won an ebay auction for a used K-r, for $515.
The picture is of a completely different K-r being sold by a local shop, advertised as new for $299.
So I'm mad that I won an auction for a K-r at $515 when I could have bought it at a store, new for $299.

Warranty and grey market/refurb dont matter much to me. The used K-r I bought is probably already out of warranty anyway.

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Aren't the stores in that area notorious for their scams? They will probably try to charge you extra for the battery, cables, strap, and box.
lol yea I read about those kinds of scams online. Found an article about shops in the past, in NYC, that have gotten in trouble for those kinds of practices.
I'm guessing this shop is doing something similar then.
07-25-2012, 09:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
lol yea I read about those kinds of scams online. Found an article about shops in the past, in NYC, that have gotten in trouble for those kinds of practices.
I'm guessing this shop is doing something similar then.
Why would you assume that without knowing the facts?

So I guess Fry's (a very reputable electronics chain) is scam artist's also? This was this year -> https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/183227-crazy-price-kr-frys.html

As for $515 for a used Kr on ebay, I hope you got a fast prime lens for that price...
07-25-2012, 09:41 AM   #13
Veteran Member

The sign says "international guarantee" so whichever item it is referring to is likely grey market, at best.

I don't think you can be too upset when you see an item being sold by an unknown seller at a ridiculously low price. The better question is did you pay more than the average normal street price for the item.
07-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I won an ebay auction for a used K-r, for $515.
The picture is of a completely different K-r being sold by a local shop, advertised as new for $299.
So I'm mad that I won an auction for a K-r at $515 when I could have bought it at a store, new for $299...
OK then. The bottom line is that you may have paid $75-$100 more than what you might have been able to get used as well. If I had $75-$100 for everytime that I have wasted $75-$100 in my lifetime, I would sleep just the same.
07-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #15
Site Supporter

It's probably the Kx for the price. Really, the best you can do now is get the Kr you won and then go out and enjoy shooting with it!

I found better prices now than I paid for my K5, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying the heck out of it!