Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #1

Enable IR for remote?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi all.

I just ordered one of these remotes to use with my Pentax K-r

JOOX - Compatible IR Remote control Shutter Release for: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

It arrived today, I removed the plastic strip which seals the battery, and gave it a go. Nothing.

So the puzzle is, is the problem the remote or the camera (or a setting therein)? I can't seem to see a setting to simply turn IR on/off, but wonder if anyone with more knowledge could advise. Reviews suggest it should 'just work'.

I also tried my TV remote, aiming it at the camera in an attempt to make something happen and prove it was the remote, not the camera. Alas, nothing happened.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

07-26-2012, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

On the directional pad, press up, the same way you would to put it on continuous shooting or single shot. The third or fourth option as you move the highlight to the right will be for remote shooting. From there, you will have the option of shooting right away, or a 2 or 10 second delay.

You'll know you have it in the right drive mode when the red LED is blinking in the same spot the IR sensor is, on the front of the camera.
07-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
MrA

Original Poster
Ah, that did the trick. Thanks!
07-26-2012, 04:14 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Just as a sidenote; keeping the K-r in remote mode seems to drain the battery far more rapidly. OEM or Eneloops (I have an AA holder too) I've never managed more than about 200 shots with a charge, and I never use flash or SR, have instant review disabled and don't even use the LCD much. Remote tripod shooting just requires regular battery swaps, it seems.

07-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
On the directional pad, press up, the same way you would to put it on continuous shooting or single shot. The third or fourth option as you move the highlight to the right will be for remote shooting. From there, you will have the option of shooting right away, or a 2 or 10 second delay.

You'll know you have it in the right drive mode when the red LED is blinking in the same spot the IR sensor is, on the front of the camera.

Many thanks. Now why the hell isn't that in the manual (k2000)?
07-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
Many thanks. Now why the hell isn't that in the manual (k2000)?
I'm surprised it isn't in the manual. I'm even more surprised that it worked the same way in that generation of camera, too. Glad it helped.